“Great service, great value, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #290 of 4,099 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Californian, Bar, Bistro, Family Fare
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Shades is a family owned and operated restaurant located in beautiful Ocean Beach California. We're lucky enough to have the world's best customers, and a fabulous view (unfortunately, we can't take credit for either!)Shades specializes in great food, unique cocktails,generous portions, and friendly service.We have indoor and PATIO SEATINGOpen Daily 6:30am - 9:00pm(10:00pm in the summer)Offering Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner,and a really rockin' Happy Hour!We're a casual place, so come as you are. We don't take reservations and you might have a bit of a wait,but hey, it'll be worth it!
Vernon, B.C.
“Great service, great value, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was an interesting dining experience. My 14-year son and myself came upon this restaurant in Ocean Beach (near San Diego). The location was amazing (just across the street from the ocean). Based on this alone, I would highly recommend the restaurant.

The problem was my food. I ordered the halibut (I think). It was somehow both very dry yet undercooked - at the same time. I have never experienced something like that before. I sent it back and the waitress did an amazing job. She handled a delicate situation perfectly. For this, she gets 5 stars! My son's meal was better than mine so I rounded it up (I would have given it a 3). The prices were also very reasonable.

The next time I go back to Ocean Beach, I will try this restaurant again. I want to see if they can improve upon my previous dining experience. I think they can.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Hearty Homefries…!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had breakfast there and we were quite impressed with the home fries,
the sourdough bread. Our meals were hearty and tasty….and the drinks were strong and tasty!
It has ample space with a nice patio area that looks out onto the beach; great for people watching.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good food descent service ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Went here for breakfast with my family ... The food was good and the pancakes were great ... Food was set at a good price .. The service was decent the waitress was very short and unemotional and very robotic but the food was good

Albuquerque, NM
“Entree Envy - but only a little”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Shade's was recommended to us by our hotel staff (right next door) for breakfast. I wasn't super hungry, so I had a smaller breakfast - a bagel and fresh fruit. The bagel was good and the watermelon was delicious, but it was my husband's breakfast that really wowed us. I can't remember the name, but it was eggs atop toast, with pesto, sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. Yes, I had a bite... or several. I'm not huge on breakfast food usually, but this was unique and very "brunchy", we both really liked it.
Service was decent, coffee was good, and of course, the patio was dog friendly, for thise of you out with the dogs.
Though that was the only meal we had there, looking over the menu, it looked like they had a nice array of items I wouldn't mind trying out on a future trip.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“Great variety, great Price and Next to Ocean Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place was so good, we went back twice for Breakfast. It is a family style, with patio place that has many kinds of breakfast and serves lunch, salads and dinner, all at a reasonable price. My favorite was the Beast Bagel and the French toast with eggs. Yes, I can eat but I burn it off at the beach all day.

• Visited August 2013