“Fabulous hotel with a great vibe” 5 of 5 stars

Sleep With the Fishes
Ranked #49 of 269 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego
“Fabulous hotel with a great vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I came to stay in the Gaslamp to enjoy downtown with my girlfriends the night before searching for a place to move in the San Diego area. This hasn't been my first stay at the Hard Rock hotel and it won't be my last. From the moment you arrive at the hotel, the staff is eager to greet and help you with anything you need. The hotel is in the heart of the Gaslamp district and it is extremely easy to walk to any other restaurant, hotel, restaurant, or even the convention center. It is also less than a block from Petco Stadium. The rooms are a good size and decorated very nicely. Once night came, the hotel's life became even more apparent. The two lounges/bars located within the hotel were filled with people enjoying their nights. The staff was very helpful in directing us how to get into the bars (no line and no fee for guests). I would highly recommend the Hard Rock hotel to anyone who is interested in having a good time, both day and night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

I stayed at this hotel a little over a year ago and I had a horrible experience. My boyfriend and I went with some friends expecting to have a good time and we had everything but that. When we first arrived they said our room wasn't ready for us to check in... What??? I have never had that happen to me at a hotel. We had to wait about an hour. That's not what I had in mind during my vacation. The room was so small so be sure if your going you pay the extra money to upgrade to a suite even though they are overpriced. Hopefully the suites are better than the studio's. We were a little tired when we arrived so we wanted to lye down for a while and watch TV but the TV wasn't working and it took almost two hours for someone to come take a look at it... By this time I was upset and it ruined the mood to get ready for some fun.

My boyfriend and I are going back to San Diego with some friends this weekend and some of my friends want to stay at the Hard Rock because they never stayed before and wanted to check out the clubs/bars at the Hard Rock. I am sure the clubs/bars are overpriced too. I am trying everything in my power to convince them to stay somewhere else. I already made reservations but I think I am going to cancel them and my boyfriend and I will book a room near by. Plus, the suites are too expensive! Don't want to be miserable on another vacation because of Hard Rock hotel...

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
bmclean02, Guest Services Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, October 3, 2009
Thank you for exchanging emails last week. While we were never able to locate your previous reservation, I know you and your friends did stay at the Hotel last weekend, and I hope that you had a great time. Please let us know.
noahsmarine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We had so much fun at this hotel. The rock royalty staff, especially Amanda were so helpful. They took care of our dinner reservations, as well as our guest list access to the clubs. We ate dinner at the hotel's premiere restaurant, Nobu, and they have the BEST yellowfin tuna sashimi I've ever eaten. We asked our server what her recommendations were for us to try for dinner and everything she recommended was really excellent. The only down side was the restaurant was so loud, like a club. We were there for our 10th wedding anniversary and it was kind of a bummer to have to yell over the table to hear each other, but you may just want to deal with it for the good food. I would recommend ANYONE to stay here if they are looking for a great Gaslamp location, just maybe not for a really romantic time. Thanks Hard Rock.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
bmclean02, Guest Services Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
We are fortunate to have Nobu here at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, no doubt, though I am sorry to hear about the noise. Hard Rock is a pretty energetic destination on the weekends, and the Saki certainly adds to the excitement. With that said, I’ve certainly shared your comments with the Nobu staff and we’ll be monitoring the noise levels over the coming weekends. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

I stayed here with my wife in late August for our wedding night. The day before I had gone into see the concierge about a possible upgrade and also getting 30 people into their 207 club. I was eventually called back by a service manager to which he assured me everything would be taken care of including a complimentary upgrade. The suite was outstanding. It had a separate bedroom and livingroom and a wrap around balcony. Absolutely superb. I brought 30 of our friends from the reception to Club 207 to which I had a guestlist of plus 30 at the door. No problem getting everyone in and no pressure to purchase bottle service.

Fantastic Hotel and Fantastic Staff...this is what the service industry is all about.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
This is great. We’re passionate about delivering experience that Rock. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
orange county
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

My wife and I just got back from the Hard Rock and I was not very impressed. It was our first time to ever experience the Gaslamp and chose Hard Rock for it's location. As soon as we checked in, we turned on the TV, so we can listen to the music channels. We tried both TV's and neither one of them worked. I kept hearing about people hitting there ankles on the bed corners and I'l be damned, I did it three times. What also pissed me off was that they charged me 17 bucks to use their facilities, which is horrible. I was there to relax and not work out. They shouldn't be charging you unless you use them. The one thing that really ticked me off was, we decided to go to the pool to relax and have a drink around 9:30 and were not allowed in because we didn't have club attire. I told him we were guests, but he said that doesn't matter. Either you change or you don't get in. So, what is the 17 dollar charge for again? I can't even get into the pool. I didn't even bother wih the downstairs bar. They would have denied me there too. I understand that San Diego/Hard Rock brings in a younger crowd, but to put the party goers first, before their guests who want to be leisure, is absolutely wrong. We had to walk down the street to have a drink and when we got back, I must of had about 5 peope fall on me because they were drunk. I am in my 30's, so I know how to have fun, but when I fork out hundreds of my hard earned dollars to stay somewhere, I should be able to go where I want within the hotel, without being told I am not dressed for the occasion. They could of at least told me in advance, but that must be their marketing scheme. Thanks for listening.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear this. I trust that our team was able to quickly resolve the issues with the TVs. As for our dress codes, they are strictly enforced for the enjoyment of all Hotel guests. Moreover, our policies, dress codes and the in-charge of $17, are clearly stated at the time of the reservation and again at check in. Having said all that, we are listening and we appreciate your feedback.
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I was very impressed with the Hard Rock Hotel - San Diego when I visited in July 2009. The room was a great size. The decor of the hotel was fantastic. The hotel is in a great location to the Gaslamp Quarter. It is extremely convenient coming from San Diego Airport. The service was great - everyone was so friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Very cool. Thank you.
Laguna Niguel, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Took the wife to San Diego for her birthday and we had so much fun! As regulars at the W Hotels, I can say that Hard Rock San Diego is definitely one of the hottest places to stay in San Diego. The 207 and Float clubs are amazing: DJs and the crowd are top-notch. The Hard Rock's location in the Gaslamp District makes it close to The Finest City's finest restaurants (steakhouses, fish tacos, etc.), boutiques and shops. Its in-house diner "MaryJane's" has great food and--rare in SoCal--is open 24/7. Additionally, Hard Rock's "Rock Royalty" crew provided around-the-clock, above-and-beyond service, arranging romantic dinners and ensuring that a beautiful bouquet of tropical birthday flowers was placed in our room before check-in. I'm still raving about this experience to all of my friends and family and look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Excellent. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Hard Rock Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!