“Conference” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
montclair,nj
“Conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here for a conference at the convention center. Nice and modern but Prince concert on friday and saturday. Cinco De Mayo pool party on sunday. Good customer service but I feel too old for this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Quickie review for those who would rather not read lengthy narrative: HRH San Diego is a nice, modern hotel that's worthy of consideration.

Now for the full review:

I had the pleasure of staying here for three nights during Clarabridge's annual users conference this year. I arrived via taxicab on Tuesday, 4/16/2013, and walked by a bellman and a valet attendant as I proceeded into the hotel. Neither the bellman nor the valet attendant welcomed me to the hotel, despite the fact that they weren't involved in any tasks at the time. No big deal, I suppose, particularly since "the welcome" has become increasingly absent at hotels across the nation (with the exception of those hotels that fall into the luxury category...they still get it right).

Immediately upon entry, I noticed Clarabridge "wrapping" all over the lobby. It was clear that the conference had HRH's attention and that it was an important event for them. I was greeted warmly and enthusiastically by a blonde Front Desk Agent whose name escapes me. She looked me up in her system and noticed that I had a reservation for a debut-level Rock Star Suite. Unbeknownst to me, booking such a room comes with VIP treatment. I was escorted into the Green Room and finished my check-in there...with a complimentary beverage in hand. Natalie was the Agent who ultimately checked me in, and she was at once very engaging and proactively helpful.

I stayed in Suite 601. While my specific accommodations left me wanting a bit, I knew right away that the debut-level Rock Star Suite is a solid product. With respect to my suite in particular, however, it needed a little TLC (i.e., warped wooden floor planks near the bathroom, gashes in the wall, marred furniture, sitting area TV volume did not respond to the remote control, safe didn't work, WiFi signal was virtually nonexistent, etc.). Surprisingly, the room did not have a desk, which made working a bit of a challenge... but I suppose most occupants of the Rock Star Suite do not book such a room for a work-related stay. Lesson learned on my part. Oh, and 601 is an "accessible" suite. I didn't book an accessible suite, so I assumed that all of the regular debut-level Rock Star Suites were already occupied when I arrived.

At check-in, I was told that the hotel does not provide daily Housekeeping service unless such service is requested. I opted out and, as such, expected no Housekeeping service at all. But apparently being a Rock Star Suite guest meant that I was entitled to daily turndown service. I learned this the hard way, so to speak. When I returned to my room after dinner on Wednesday, I noticed that my door handle was a bit crooked. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that my door was not fully closed. Bear in mind that I always make it a point to ensure that my hotel door is completely shut and locked whenever I leave for any amount of time. I am in the hotel business, after all, and I know that "door pushers" exist. At any rate, I opened the door fearing that I'd find valuables missing. Thankfully, all of my belongings were accounted for. It became immediately clear to me, though, that it was Housekeeping that accidentally left my door open. I found complimentary bottles of Evian on each nightstand and a couple of candies on my pillow.

As for HRH's meetings team, they knocked it out of the park. Great food, awesome setups, reliable wireless connectivity, fantastic spaces... in short, their meetings team runs a top-notch operation. Bravo! If I were a Meeting Planner, I'd definitely give HRH a serious look whenever San Diego is involved.

All in all, despite the issues mentioned above, HRH San Diego is a pretty darned good place to stay. The staff members are generally great. And the product is mostly "up there," so I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We have shared this with our banquets/catering team and given them all high fives. Thanks for you comment about VIP turn down, despite the request for no service. That was a loophole in our SOP that hadn't been addressed, but we've put new procedures in place to make sure that doesn't happen again. We hope you'll stay with us again soon.
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for an overnight business trip. Good bed, nice size rooms, Friendly staff. A little dark but that is cause of all the dark painted walls.........I guess they want you to feel like a rockstar!

I would recommend

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback. It's true, we DO want you to feel like a rockstar!
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the Hard Rock recently for a conference and was quite pleased. It is a very modern hotel with a focus obviously on music. The customer service from the employees was fantastic. We experienced a problem when we first arrived (no fault of the hotel) and the employees quickly worked to help us. While the hotel may not be a good fit for older generations (noisy neighborhood, modern furnishings, etc), it is perfect for the younger generations or anyone looking for a centrally located hotel. It is also just steps away from Petco Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your feedback. We'll be sure to share this with our guest services staff and give them a pat on the back.
Chicago, Illinois, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for a conference. Great location at a modern hotel w/ in the Gas Lamp District. Who doesn't like spending time in So Cal! Atmosphere was excellent, young, energy yet relaxing. I would stay again, the rooms are big. Only thing at times a little challegning finding my way around to all the different conference rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your comments. We hope you can come back and stay with us again soon.
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed a week with the HRSD for the first time during a conference and planning session with others in Sr. Mgmt on Customer Experience. Ironically enough the staff of the hotel embrace and practice some of the most important aspects of good CX. Personlized service from every member of their team, great rooms, excellent food, very cool facilities. A few highlights:
* Check out a guitar, amp, and headphones from a large selection. Free for the duration of your stay. (no, seriously)
* Enough artifacts and bits to wander the hotel for days - setlists, guitars, costumes, etc.
* For meetings, the conference rooms are excellent. Incredible food service, very decent prices, and a great place to do an informal and cool focused couple of days.
* Killer location right in the center of Gaslight district
Restaurant attached is none other than Nobu (famous sushi, lives up to its name)

Color me impressed, I'll be back with 20 people for a five day strat planning session. (or with my wife for a weekend

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Excellent! Thanks so much for your review. We'll be sure to share this with our entire team and we look forward to hosting you again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The location is great. The rooms are clean and spacious and the bed was aaaamazing!

The service from the staff was great.

I was staying for buisness and during the week the hotel was great for this, however the weekend gave a totally different experience. I would only recommend staying here on a weekend if you are prepared for thousands of drunk young people and a lot of noise!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time share your experience with us. There can definitely be a different vibe at the hotel on the weekends, as that's when our clubs are in full swing.

Been to Hard Rock Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!