“Function Follows Form.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Function Follows Form.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I know, strange title, but that's what I kept thinking every day I stayed here. For all the things that are good with the hotel, I kept finding things I didn't like.

First the good points. Location! It's directly across the street from the enormous San Diego Conference Center. You're literally a short two block walk. You're also very close to a variety of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. The Gas Lamp District is a great place in San Diego and safe to explore. Service is very good and had a good experience when we were originally sent to a still-dirty room and the manager immediately corrected the situation. The rooms are suites, with a separate sitting area. I actually like the layout of the room with the sitting area and bed divided by a bathroom area. Huge walk-in shower. Separate toilet area. A drape you can draw so the bed is somewhat divided from the rest of the room. The bed it comfy and the views are ok below floor 10. 10 and 11 may have views of the bay. Finally, the restaurant in the hotel, Jane's Underground, has great breakfast.

That's a lot of good things, but there are drawbacks. As I mentioned, the Hard Rock Hotel is all about form, not so much on function. The huge shower requires two towels to soak up the over-spray. I liked the volume of water from the two-head shower, though. As an aside, I thought it interesting that a hotel that preaches conservation on literature in their rooms, puts in a shower that can spew significantly more water than the one I have at home. The sink area has a single sink and is tough for two people to get ready. I actually scrapped my thumb in the sink faucet because the edges are all relatively sharp and it's very difficult to put the handle in the right position to stop water from coming out (possibly an issue with just my sink, not others). There are no electric outlets at the sink area, so you have to use the mirror in the sitting area for electric hair tools. Lighting is horrible! They use all fluorescent lights and it takes a while to figure out which of their many light switches controls which light. It can be noisy, especially on the weekends, if you overlook the pool (party) area. Beware of this if you go to bed early! Valet parking is incredibly expensive. It cost more per day (no exaggeration) than my full size car rental, but maybe that's standard for the area. There is no shop in the hotel to buy things other than Hard Rock clothes and trinkets.

The Hard Rock isn't for everyone and quite frankly I'm not their target market (I didn't book the hotel, it was booked for me). I don't think they're looking for middle aged men (or women) that are in the area for business. I just want a place to sleep and do a little work. But, if you're young and looking to party every night, you may like it here.

Room Tip: During Padres games, they close off 5th Avenue, so you will have to turn off on a different street t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We're sorry that the room layout in your suite didn't meet your needs. We will share your comments with our engineering and rooms teams. We do have thousands of convention/business guests stay with us each year and welcome guests of all ages.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Indonesian first
Alexandria, Minnesota, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful stay...you are First class in everything..did not want to leave Great location staff, clean, personal, and friendly..everyone was there to assist us and did not know of any thing that should or could be changed

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

What an amazing place. Clean, tidy, excellent service from friendly and helpful staff, located right on the edge of the historical Gaslamp Quarter with its myriad of restaurants, bars and clubs - this hotel was an inspired choice of venue for the conference. The room I had originally booked wasn't ready when I booked in, so I was upgraded to a suit, no problems. The various bars and roof terraces were perfect for breakfasts, lunches and evening events, and I received top service from all the staff I had contact with, whatever the question or occasion. If you are visiting San Diego, stay here. I can thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the kind words. We hope you can come back and stay with us again soon!
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Probably the coolest hotel I've ever stayed at - fantastic rooms and amenities and all up really enjoyed my stay during the two day conference.

The only downside was right at the start with the rather snooty, unsmiling girl at check in (and I thought "uh oh"), and it would have been nice if someone could have helped up with our bags, finding our rooms, and showing us round our rooms (the lighting and showers took a bit of fiddling to work out - and my music wasn't playing :-( ).

But after those initial blips, the friendliness of the other staff was awesome, room service was lightning fast, and the conference arrangements were magnificent, so I left the hotel feeling great about it. Even the expected noise wasn't too bad for a weekend and opening day and I slept really well on the comfy bed.

Room Tip: My south side room faced a high-rise car park (so no view) but it was always pretty quiet (except fo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. We're so glad we were able to turn your opinion around after those hiccups at check in. We know how important a first impression is and will review your comments with our Guest Services team.
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The initial service was good. Checked in with the family, two boys ages 13 and 10, on Thursday afternoon and checked out Saturday morning at 4:00AM. The oldest boy was leaving the airport at 5AM for a school trip to the East Coast. Getting in the elevator to leave, we were threatened by a young fellow who only left as I dialed 911. The there was no one to check us out. While we looked for staff to check us out 8 tall and menacing adults entered the lobby bragging about having beat up some guy. I ushered my children out and found a staff member to get our car. I went back in with my family as the 8 adults went outside to the curb. I checked out then made my way around the adults to wait for the car. Needless to say, my sons do not want to go back to Hard Rock.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We're so sorry to hear this. We have forwarded this post to our security team to investigate. We'd like to know more about what happened. This is not a normal occurrence. Can you please email mdufour@hardrockhotelsd.com
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Left my passport in the room safe and they couriered it overnight to Los Angeles for me even when my credit card payment was rejected. Fantastic service and a great relief.

Could not ask for a better location in San Diego.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
thanks for taking the time to share this. We're so happy we could help. We know how stressful losing a passport can be!
Murrieta, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is in the heart of Gaslamp and has A Vegas hotel style vibe to it! The rooftop pool and bar is super nice and so much fun! The drinks are great we bought pitchers of raspberry mojitos that were priced great. I won't stay anywhere else in San Diego!

My girlfriends and I only stay at the Hard Rock Hotel when we visit San Diego (every 2 months or so) the staff is so pleasant and extremely helpful and accommodating, one staff member in particular always helps me book and will email me room rates right away when I'm planning my trips her name is Jessica C! Such an asset to that hotel!! She is always friendly, and prompt on returning my emails!

I love the hard rock! Stay here :)

• Stayed April 2013
Thanks so much. We'll pass on the praise to our girl Jesse. You're right! She's a huge asset to the hotel.