“My first stay at the Hard Rock” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sleep With the Fishes
Ranked #57 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“My first stay at the Hard Rock”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Overall service from the front desk to in-room dining was very good. Although the hotel was very clean, our room was starting to show wear and tear. I would not recommend this hotel for families since there is a big party scene here on the weekends. All in all the Hard Rock is a great place to stay in San Diego while partying with friends or enjoying a romantic weekend the one you love.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
Batesville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Nice, clean hotel. Very modern and chic. Roomy suite and everything you need is conveniently nearby. As with most things in the Gaslamp district, prices are inflated. Layout of the hotel is poorly designed as it is a haul to the elevators from the entrance. If you want upscale quietness, then this is not for you. The 20 something nightclub scene is alive and well here on weekends so you'll be dodging the young drunk girls in the lobby trying to stay upright in their new stilettos on a Sat. night. Somewhat amusing. Concierge not very good for anyone over 30. Overall nice place but not for me.

• Stayed February 2013
El Cajon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I loved everything about this hotel From Valet ,to check in time,the staff,the room service the check out it was all excellent ,and every body always had a smile,i have stayed in many hotels in san diego ,Hard Rock was the best ,now each time i go to San Diego ,i stay there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip. Location was very good, centrally located near convention center. Room was modern and clean. I did not like the location of my first room...it was too close to the night club. Shaun, the manager, was wonderful. He understood my concern and immediately moved me to a new room that was amazing. Thank you Shaun!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on 5th floor overlooking the bar. Loud.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a stylish (some might think aggressively stylish) and generally well-maintained hotel. We had a suite on the top floor of the north side of the building, away from the pool and bars. There were two distinct areas, separated by a movable curtain. Both the shower and the toilet are in separate rooms, across the narrow dimension of the room from each other. The vanity was out in the room. A bit unusual, but really not a problem. The shower was wonderful, with a rain tile above and a shower head mounted from the wall. The only problem was that water goes everywhere! Hope the staff didn't mind that we're enthusiastic showerers!

In the living area, there's a large screen TV, and connections for all sorts of electronics. There's another large screen TV in the bedroom. They were obviously TV over IP, and took forever to lock into a channel. But the picture quality was good.

The living area had a naugahyde couch that was close to the end of its life, but everything was spotlessly clean.

The bedroom was comfortable...great bed. Like almost every hotel I've visited, the drapes didn't pull fully closed - but a previous guest had thoughtfully left a large paperclip on the blackout curtain, so I could clip them closed. The room was very quiet and the air conditioner worked well.

There are a few caveats - first, when the concierge was present, he was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. But most of the time I couldn't find him! On Saturday evening (at least during the winter) Float - the pool/bar area - turns into a very popular club. It has more speakers per square foot than anywhere I've ever been. The crowd is large - and it is definitely a 20-something club scene. That didn't really bother us (it was kind of fun walking through all those raging hormones) until the drama moved into the hallway outside our room. Seems you get a VIP pass to the club if you're a guest. So if you want to party all night, just get a room, go to the club, then take the party anywhere in the hotel! (We knew we'd have an interesting evening when the room one down from ours was covered with faux police crime scene tape bearing the legend "Caution: Wild Girls". We eventually - around 1:30 am - call the desk and asked if they could send security to suggest that loud alcohol-fueled drama in the hallways wasn't making our stay any more enjoyable. The responded quickly, and the noise did die down.

All in all, the service was good, the rooms clean and contemporary, and we had few complaints. I would suggest, however, if you're not planning on partying - or if you're over around 30 - you might want to check to see when "Float" is open, and avoid those evenings.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, go for a high floor on the side of the hotel away from the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Altos, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location for this hotel was great (Gaslamp district) and the room was fairly nice. But, some of the cons really took the rating down for me. I expected it may be loud, so I brought ear plugs. But, there were parties going on many of the rooms around us. But, the kids slept through it so while it was annoying it was okay.

The kids swam in the pool...the next day I had to take my son to urgent care with swimmers ear. The doctor said it was because they must not have been treating the pool properly with the chemicals...guess they thought it could slide since it was February. Staff there not helpful when asking about restaurants, or places to go for urgent care.

Oh, and when we checked in we did find corks from previous guests. And, we left one day at 7 am and got back around 5 pm....our room was still not cleaned,,,the housekeepers were just getting to it. We went downstairs and spoke to the front desk. They did not apologize they just said that we had a lot if people check out that day and cleaning those rooms rooms were priority.

I made the reservations through a travel site. I called Hard Rock directly and asked, was there any other fees that they will add such as resort fees...they assured me that with the reservation I had it was all ready included in the price. At the time of check out, they tacked on a daily resort fee charge.

So, all in all, we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We're sorry that you didn't feel our staff was helpful at a time when you really needed them to be. We can understand why you'd be frustrated. We have reviewed this entire post with our front desk staff to be sure they know this attitude is unacceptable here.
Wilson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Shaun Edwards and his guest services manager Ryan Armstrong are the standard of excellence. My experience at the Hard Rock Hotel, San Diego California was one that I will not soon forget. Their hospitality and and customer service can not be equalled. If you' re in the the San Diègo area, do yourself a favor and stay there. I promise you...you will not be disappointed. Thanks to the both of them for their extraordinary level of customer service and hospitality that I experienced at my recent stay. I will be returning to the Hard Rock Hotel upon my next visit to San Diego.

Thanks guys!
Steve From North Carolina

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the comments. We'll be sure to commend Ryan and Shaun and look for forward to having you back soon.

Been to Hard Rock Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!