“Fantastic access to convention center, gaslamp” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   207 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #55 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Fantastic access to convention center, gaslamp”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed there for one night (a Saturday), our first in town, while attending the ESRI conference (then moved to another hotel for the rest of the week - wanted to try out the HR and could only get one night at the conference rate). Stayed with my 9 month old baby and a friend.

PROs:
Mary Jane's is fantastic for breakfast and right downstairs - big plus. Also the convention center is right across the street, as is the trolley stop. You can't beat the location.

CONs:
Yes, the HR should probably not be your first choice when traveling with a baby. I knew this going in. If I had been traveling without a baby and in the mood to party, it would have been more enjoyable. But I would say that if you want to sleep sober you might want to choose a different hotel or just make sure you end up on a high floor. The noise was very loud, even in the room, up until about midnight and then it actually got louder. I was on the 3rd floor so maybe it's not such a problem higher up. And maybe it's only bad on Saturday, but I doubt that being the gaslamp. The gentleman who helped us with our bags saw the baby and warned us, but also said they were full so there wasn't going to be anything they would be able to do about the volume. Again, self inflicted wound but I wanted to give the place a try.

The mini-bar had not been checked when we checked in. We were contacted after checkout to try and charge us for items which were missing from the mini-bar. We explained about the mini-bar not having been checked before we got there and the bill was taken off our credit card without any issues.

The shower and bathroom area are pretty big and lovely. The bedroom is tiny - very little space to move around the bed. I don't think I would have been comfortable spending much time in the room with 2 people in the room - 1 might be the max.

I would only stay there again if I could get some kind of confirmation that I would be on a higher floor. For the money and convenience of access to the convention center, I think I would choose the Omni next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We do read every post and take them all very seriously. We're sorry that your stay with us was anything less than fantastic. Traveling with a little one is always tough and we're sure the noise didn't help matters. We always try to accommodate a room move whenever possible, especially in cases like yours, but unfortunately sometimes it's just not possible due to high occupancy. We do hope that you stay with us again. If you call a few days before you check in to request a high floor, we will do everything we can to make sure that happens.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for a conference held at the Hilton a short walk away. The hotel is ultra modern with tons of music memorabilia hanging around. That's fine. Service was attentive. Very comfortable bed. Good shower once you figure out how to turn on and off the dual shower heads. The mini bar is outrageously expensive. Really. But at least the prices are there for those dumb enough to partake. Example is the love kit (or whatever it's called) for $28. Some lotion and condoms. Enjoy. Also, the tenth floor where I stayed ALWAYS had a funky smell in the hall. It was around the door leading to the staff elevators. I stayed four nights and the smell was there every day and every night. No, I didn't complain, which is my fault, but I'll mention it here since I see that the management reads TripAdvisor reviews. You really should address this. Overall, I'd stay her again in spite of the funky smell. Nice location close to the gaslamp district and hundreds of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. You're right, we DO read each and every Tripadvisor review and take our guests' comments very seriously. Of course we do hope that guests communicate any concerns while still on property so we can address them right away and improve their experience, but we will definitely investigate the reason for the smell issue you had and do whatever it takes to fix the problem. Obviously funky smells are not acceptable! We're glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you come back and see us again soon.
Rayland,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

this hotel was great, the restaurants at the hotel were delish. If you just wanted to sit and relax you could sit by the pool or in one of the bars. The rooms are spacious and the beds were comfortable

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review. We hope you can come back and stay with us soon.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Jennifer in the VIP lounge was so helpful and accommodating and Bertha in housekeeping went over the top to make our stay great. They made our stay great instead of good. We were using a free stay and instead of making us feel lesser for it, Jennifer made us feel like real VIPs. Bertha offered to get our ice for us and was above and beyond!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Awesome! We want each and every guest to feel like a VIP when staying with us. We'll be sure to pass along your comments to Jennifer and Bertha. Thanks so much for mentioning them by name so we can recognize them! Please come back and stay with us again soon.
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked this hotel via the "mystery" deal on Expedia for a stay during a conference at the convention center. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in. The room had lush carpeting, a great view and location, and trendy and comfortable furniture. There was a huge mini bar (I've never seen so much alcohol in a hotel fridge), a well stocked snack bar, and "interesting" items for purchase, like a intimacy kit! (massage oil, shimmering powder, etc.) This really reflects the fun party vibe that this hotel is going for. Even though I was there for a conference, I appreciated the trendy nature of the hotel and thought the party-oriented youth checking in on the weekend were humorous. I had to take one star off for the noise level though. Wednesday and Thursday nights were fine, but the bar in the hotel was hopping Friday and Saturday night, and you can certainly hear the bass up on the 6th floor. It kept me up on Friday, but I was so tired on Saturday it didn't disturb my sleep. Perhaps try to get a higher floor if you're a light sleeper? Highly recommended for its location, and fun level, even if you aren't in town to party!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if you aren't there to party, and try to get a room on the opposite side o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We always welcome feedback from our guests - good or bad. We do strive to always have a fun atmosphere that anyone can enjoy, whether you're a business traveler or a local San Diegan just coming down for the weekend, so we're glad that you understand and appreciate this about our hotel. We do try to do everything we can to limit noise issues, especially on the weekends, and always try to accommodate room moves. We hope to have you back again soon and definitely feel free to call ahead and ask for room on a higher floor next time. We're more than happy to accommodate.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed at the Hard Rock in October for 3 nights and absolutely loved everything about it (helped by getting a great deal on the rate). If you haven't stayed at a Hard Rock the concept is as you would imagine and everything was done very well. The whole feel of the hotel is young, cool and sleek, from the lobby all the way to the rooms, which are very comfortable and trendy. We had a room on the 11th floor and the view was impressive, Coronado Bridge is a great backdrop. Had breakfast in the Mary Jane Cafe downstairs, which was very nice and reasonably priced.

I would say this is the perfect hotel for young couples or groups as it is in the heart of the Gaslamp District with perfect access to the many restaurants, bars and clubs and is very lively during the evening. The pool area was great and well worth spending a few hours lounging here. From my perspective the only downside was not being here on a weekend as that is when it really seems to pick up and get lively in the club downstairs but if I travel back to San Diego I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 11th floor room had a great view and was high enough to avoid too much noise from the club downstair...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow, thanks so much for your glowing review. We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!
Redlands, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Room was gorgeous- sleek, clean modern suite in a great location. The bathroom was a little odd, however. The toilet room has a frosted glass door and doesn't give much privacy. The management is a different story. I was slammed with hidden fees when I was told my card would be used for 'incidentals'. I was charged for using something in the mini bar which was NOT the case. I would NEVER pay $5 for a bottle of water. I disputed the charges but they wouldn't remove either charge. Lastly, I left an item in my room and it has been a series of being placed on hold, transferring and getting the run-a-round every day for a week with no answers. Very frustrating. It was a good one time experience but I'll never go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We've chatted with our housekeeping and security staff about your missing item, but unfortunately they were both unable to locate it. We do have a very firm polity in place for left behind items and adhere to this diligently. Regarding the hidden fees, our front desk agents are instructed to give each guest a run through of any charges that they'd incur, and our finance department is always available to discuss any bill disputes over the phone. It did seem that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us, so its unfortunate that these two issues sullied your experience with us. We do hope you'll give us another chance to wow you.

Been to Hard Rock Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!