“Best and Trendiest Hotel in San Diego for the "it" crowd...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #62 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Best and Trendiest Hotel in San Diego for the "it" crowd...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have not liked a hotel that much since we vacationed at the ME Hotel in Cancun, which was such an amazing hotel with top notch service. Well, the Hard Rock San Diego has also that trendy vibe that late 20's-30's, people-watching, "it" crowd really love to be around. We drove from L.A. where we live and brought with us two friends that were visiting SoCal, so we decided to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego. The main reason why we stayed at the Hard Rock San Diego was their location and of course their famous "Intervention" pool party which happened this past Sunday (it usally does every weekend in the summer).

So here are the pros of this hote: 1) Location, 2) Clientele, 3) Property/Amenities, and 4) Service
And as far as the cons go: 1) Security in Pool Party (that's about it...)

I don't give it a five star rating due to a little incident that happened to my girlfriends and I during the pool party but after speaking with the front desk manager, Brian, he made sure that we would come back again and we certainly will. I do want to thank him personally for making sure we still had good time in the hotel even though we were forced to leave the party by the violent men that handle the security at the pool party. The place is filled with intoxicated people, but let's face it, it called "Intervention" but they should have researched the incident before we were forced to levae. This won't discourage us from coming back again but I think they should have better training for their security staff which acted like dumb gorillas around my girls and I. But again, locations is amazing, the rooms are comfy and super chic, loved their rain showers in the bathrooms. A very nicely decorated hotel with rockstart memorabilia all over the place. Check out Maryjanes' for breakfast at the hotel. It was delicious.... we'll come back and again thanks Brian for bringing reason and comfort to our experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Glad Brian could turn the stay around…see you and your friends again soon!

2,031 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with our tween boys. Great location, very modern and "cool". We stayed Sun to Thurs. Big party for 21 and older at the pool. Saw a couple drunk people but nothing obnoxious. we didn't have any noise at night. Lots of hot girls for my husband to ogle. Good breakfast spot around the corner called the Broken Yolk. Have to valet park, expensive.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Glad you and your family had a great time! Come visit again!
Vallejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Spent 4 days at the Hard Rock with a crew of 16. Concierge services hooked us up with transportation to TJ, had awsome recommendations for local eats with a group our size, and were super easy to work with.
Service rocked! Everyone from the cabana girl, to table service waitresses rocked.
Aside from kick a-- service, the Hard Rock provided the perfect vibe for our Bachelor trip. Hotel has a party fell with a boutique look that fits a Rock Star experience.
Can't wait to visit again, mostly because of how we were treated!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Glad the bachelor party rocked! Excited to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I think what impresses me most about the Hard Rock Hotel San Diego is that they learn you preferences. From day 1, the staff is learning to learn the name of every guest. Now some of you may disagree, but I say 'give it time'. Maybe not on your first trip, maybe not on your second, but by the time you're on your third and 4th stay, believe me, everyone in that place knows who you are. The hotel remains a favorite based on its location in the Gaslamp, its surrounding by culinary adventures and 2 of the most fun nightlife venues in the city. I love HRHSD. When I stay in the gaslamp, its the only place I'll stay.

Room Tip: Corners are always choice if you can get one. If you're a fan of crowds and people watching req...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for the great review and glad to hear the staff knows you well! See you next time!
Tampere, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My fiance and I had an awesome time at the Hard Rock San Diego! The service was great from check-in, housekeeping, valet, restaurants to bar services. It's a party location on the weekends for sure but the volume never reached our room and I really wouldn't have noticed anything in my room. Speaking of rooms, it was great. Really nice clean modern look with a functioning ac (either on or off) which isn't always the case in some hotels! :) The location was really central in a nice neighborhood and the lovely Gas lamp district was on the same street with a lot to see.

A great stay all in all! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for the review, I was happy to read you and your fiancé had a wonderful time and enjoyed our various services…hope to see you again, maybe for your honeymoon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Husband and I went away for the weekend and chose the Hard Rock. We had never stayed here before and we loved it. If you are looking for a quiet hotel this, may not be the hotel for you. If you are looking for fun, lots of energy, dancing etc.. this is the spot. There are a lot of younger people which may be why the hotel hallway was trashed with food and liquor bottles when we went out for breakfast the next morning and there was the occassional smell of Marijuana. But if you can overlook that it is a great place to have a good time.. We will now be staying at the Hard Rock each time we come to San Diego.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed the lively energy and atmosphere! Look forward to seeing you next time you and your husband need to get away!
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

If you are visiting San Diego this is the only hotel to stay at.

I would have given 5 out of 5 had it not been for the fact we did not receive the rooms requested 2 x rooms with 2 queen beds. There were no twin queen rooms available so I politely requested a rollaway bed. I was informed due to the size of the rooms rollaway beds were not allowed as they were a fire hazard. Despite this I was told to go to the room and dial down for a rollaway bed and they should just bring it. This seemed very unorthodox but I did as requested. When I rang guest services they told me I wasn't allowed a rollaway bed because the room was too small and it would cause a fire hazard. After 20 hours of travelling I was in no mood to settle for this. We were then offered 2 suites which both still only had a king size bed. I was informed however that there was enough room for a rollaway bed. Thinking the additional bed would be FOC I went ahead and accepted their proposal. Once in the new rooms I again requested the rollaway bed. I was informed that there would be a charge of $30 per night per room. When I questioned this I was told we had been given an upgrade and would not get anything else FOC. I therefore declined the bed and requested extra bedding as there was a large sofa in the living space of each room.

Despite our initial problems this hotel was fantastic. Anyone staying here must visit the 207 club and also Nobu. They compliment the hotel extremely well.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for the review! I apologize for the problems with your room type and rollaway beds. Contact us in advance in the future so we can help ensure this does not happen again. I hope that you were able to sleep well and that you enjoyed yourself at our venues….until next time!

Been to Hard Rock Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!