“Modern, cool hotel with 2 pitfalls” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #62 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Latham, New York
“Modern, cool hotel with 2 pitfalls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This hotel was definitely cool! Very modern with sleek furniture and a great vibe. The downstairs cafe (Mary Janes i think?) was also great. Best eggs benedict i've ever had! Also great late night food. The hotel is also in a great location, and very close to everything.

I have 2 gripes though. #1, one night we got all dressed and ready to go out to the rooftop bar. When we got there it was closed! On a Thursday night! We asked around, and found out that it was 'too cold' so they werent opening. It was 65 degress. I'm from NY, and 65 degrees is not cold in my eyes! The next night we went back, and that brings me to gripe #2. The rootop bar has lots of outdoor seating around cool firepits. Everytime we tried to sit down, we were told that area was 'reserved'. We were at the bar all night, and almost all of these spots were left open ALL NIGHT. Whats the point in having cool, great seating if it just stays empty the whole night?

Other than that, it was a good stay, and I would go back if i ever had to be in San Diego again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review. I’m so sorry about your experiences at Float. We do have limited hours at Float on weekdays, but 207 is open on Thursday nights with a great dance floor. The seating areas at Float are reserved for bottle service, but you can reserve them when you’re up there if they are open. Feel free to ask for a VIP Host next time so we can be sure to get you a spot. We look forward to having you back!

2,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
PERTH AUSTRALIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Fun,funky,delightful hotel
We loved the futuristic lobby decorated with rock memorabilia.
Our room was very modern and very comfortable
The only problem was we were opposite the gym which is open 24 hours a day and we could hear people running on the treadmill at all hours .
Special thanks to the concierge,Robbie who was so helpful and friendly .
The hotel is opposite the trolley station making it easy to get around.
It is situated in the gas lamp area which is filled with amazing restaurants and shops
Our favourite restuarant was cafe 21....great food and delightful staff.
Great hotel...just different enough to make it a fun experience but still comfortable.

Room Tip: The noise from the gym can be annoying Also rooms facing the train line may be noisy
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Robbie and his team are so great when it comes to planning your stay, and I’m so glad you got to know him while you were here. Be sure to reach out to him or any of our concierges next time you come visit! Thank you for the feedback about our gym. I’ll certainly pass that on to see how we can eliminate that treadmill noise. See you again soon!
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here with my family as a last minute decision as our go to hotel was fully booked. The check in was smooth and the staff was great, welcoming the kids and entertaining them as we get the room key and paperwork signed off. The room was awesome with a view of the baseball stadium. We ordered a crib and it was delivered pretty fast. The club downstairs was loud during check in and we thought this would be a problem with trying to put a toddler and infant down for sleep. In fact this was not, the room was quite all night. I also want to believe that they placed us in a area of the hotel where it was generally quite. No loud 1 or 2 am hallway traffic, as can be expected form a hotel like this. In the morning we order breakfast and it was great, the kids cleaned their plates which never happens. All in all I was overly impressed with our stay as a family at the Hard Rock!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
We’re so glad we exceeded your expectations! It sounds like you and your family had a perfect time, and we can’t wait to have you all back. Thank you for the great review!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed at the San Diego Hard Rock in Gaslamp district. They are more interested in running bars than a hotel. Security lacked on the weekends with general public running through hotel corridors.It lets anybody and everybody in except the actual people staying at the hotel. They will nickel and dime you for everything in the hotel. I'm in town for Craft Brewers Conference. The bathroom was horrible and flooded from taking a shower. They moved me to another SUITE not a room, and in doing so my razor was broken. Things happen right? I called down to the concierge (which are very rarely at the desk) to have a disposable razor sent up to the room. 45 minutes later as time is dwindling, I call down again and they tell me they will put a priority on it. 20 minutes later I had to leave in order to get to the Conference to do my talk without shaving. It was a string of excuses and lame reasons for all of their shortcomings. I finally get a day off and now I am not allowed to use the jacuzzi or pool since they are having a party for the general public at $20 a head. They sold me this as an amenity, yet they sell the same deal to the public and double dip. The hotel customer is the one losing. I will never spend another dime at this gimicky place. They have a letter from the GM (never on site while I was there, or Mgr was afraid to call him) addressing me as a Rock Star, yet got treated like a fan without a ticket. They have obviously never stayed in their own hotel. The location across the street from the Chuck Jones gallery at least allowed me to spend a few grand on some original art. They wouldn't know a rock star if one fell on them. I don't mind paying Rock star prices if you get Rock star treatment. You won't find it here.
Duane Lujan CEO Rocky Mountain Brewery

Room Tip: Across the street at the Omni.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Duane, I’m so sorry you for what you experienced while you stayed with us. Please know we do consider each and every one of our guests Rock Stars, and strive to provide that service in all aspects of your stay. I’m so sorry this is not what you experienced. I know you have spoken to our Director of Rooms, and I hope you will contact him again to speak further. We have shared your comments with our entire team, and have already put new improvements in place for your next stay. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This hotel was great for a friend's weekend, especially for young people. I say that because the hotel was not exactly quiet, as people are up late having a good time. This was not a problem for the group I travelled with! Service was great, room and hotel were fabulously appointed, on-site dance club, restaurants, and pool were all top notch, and location could not be beat. Easy walk to great restaurants and night life in the Gaslamp District.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
We get plenty of bachelor and bachelorette parties here, and we’re so happy you had a great time! With plenty of fun in the Gaslamp District and awesome amenities on property, you certainly can’t go wrong. Thank you for sharing!
Lahaina, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I loved everything about my stay. It was a while back when they had pool parties on Sundays, not sure if they still do em but what a great time. The rooms are amazing and the employees are great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Yes, we still have Intervention Sundays! Come on by! Thanks for the review.
Imperial Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The best hotel stay I've ever experienced.
And also looooooooved the Tour Manager App, it lets you order room service, contact staff for questions and set up reservation right from the App itself, first time I've seen this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Thanks for the review. My favorite part of Tour Manager is the ‘Exclusive Deals’ section. Check it out next time you log in!

Been to Hard Rock Hotel San Diego? Share your experiences!