“The Pearl is a great boutique hotel with a little personality” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1410 Rosecrans St (at Fenelon), San Diego, CA 92106   |
Ranked #16 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles
“The Pearl is a great boutique hotel with a little personality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

My husband and I were going to San Diego for a quick overnight stay and decided to just go for a cheap option since we wouldn't be spending much time in the hotel. I saw that The Pearl got great reviews and that it was incredibly inexpensive (I think we paid $69 for the night!). I wasn't expecting much, but it was a great little hotel! It looks like it's basically a renovated motel from the 50's - a bunch of rooms surrounding a pool in the courtyard. They've done such a good job of fixing it up and making it comfortable and very unique. I would recommend going up one level from the basic room because you'll get a much nicer, upgraded bathroom. But you really can't go wrong with any of them.

One thing not to be missed is the restaurant. It was one of the best meals ever! They have different theme nights during the week, so just be sure to see if they have the full menu, but everything we had was amazing.

The location isn't RIGHT by anything we really wanted to see, but it's a quick drive (under 10 minutes) to downtown or the beaches (PB, OB, Mission Beach, etc.)

I would highly recommend this place to anyone who likes a hotel with more personality than the big chains.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Elegant and simple, like a pair of vintage Prada shoes. Food and drink outstanding. I chose to spend my New Year's there because my first experience was so different than the norm. Probably the most hip crowd in San Diego. I am a NY/LV lounge snob so this was one of the few hot spots that really "cuts the proverbial mustard in San Diego". Delicate touches like little goldfish bowls (with live fish) in the rooms add some originality to the old school Palm Springs feel. Our next all out girls' weekend in San Diego will be poolside at the Pearl.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Our stay at The Pearl was relaxing....dinner and drinks in the bar/resurant...while the kids enjoyed the shag carpet lounge...fries..soda and games...to play...
Something for everyone to enjoy....
The rooms are tranquil ......I especially enjoyed having a fish in the room to complete the Zen feeling.

I can't wait to return...
Bliss....

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
la baja
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

my second time in the hotel, loved it even more, the manager more than helpfull and all the crew super cute and super friendly, the decor of the hotel brings you to any lounge in miami beach, la or new york, lots of details. the rooms incredible and the bed is the best ever, soft cotton linens and really good pilows..lots of details in the room too.. the longe and bar rest are preatty much alive every night, and they have a movie night at the pool, very special pearl in san diego!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband and i stayed with the Pearl for our 2 year wedding anniversary on a trip to San Diego. We could not have been more pleased. The hotel does great incentives and competitive rates,and has one of the most amazing restaurant bar in town!! Our room was retro sex, and we even had a pet fish for the week! (cute touch) we were so impressed with the personal touches from the hotel staff throughout our stay, and i can't think of anywhere else we would ever stay if we came back. The restaurant was super packed every night, and the do the cutest drive in movie night on wed night!! they also had an amazing 3 course prefix menu for $25 on monday nights that was out of this world!! Definatel take the time to try out some of their signature cocktails, they are fantastic and tasty!! We had a blast, and the staff really helped us to plan and enjoy our week in san diego! can't wait to return!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

I had never been to the hotel before... so when I drove to the address with the help of my GPS I had to take a second look. The place looks so unassuming that is really easy to miss. Once we entered, we found ourselves in this funky bar space (closed on January 1, alas!), and after checking in at the tiny reception desk, we walked to our room (room 4).
We loved the funky pool setting, and we thought the place will rock during warmer months.
The room was simple, unpretentious in its decoration, but everything was well thought out, and very well fitted. I particularly loved the Artemide lamps and the cute details (Jaws was our room's pet fish). Our room had a terrace that was great to catch the early morning sun, but don't expect a lot of privacy from the hotel's neighbors).
We had dinner at the Restaurant/bar by the pool the following evening, and food was top notch, some of the best I've had in San Diego.... however, the dessert menu was a slight dissappointment... oh well... Service was friendly and efficient... we stayed later for drinks at the bar, and it seems the place really gets busy with a locals scene during regular weekends (this was NYE weekend, and San Diego itself was pretty dead).
Definitely a place to repeat in a city of many one-time only choices.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

We had an amazing experience from beginning to end!!! Our room was beautiful, the music was so fun & different and the bed...lets just say we wanted to steal the entire thing (pillows & all). We are already planning our next trip back :)

Thank you very much to the staff, you made us feel right at home!!!

• Stayed December 2009

Been to The Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!