“Nice and Comfortable but Terrible Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #18 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Nice and Comfortable but Terrible Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Sad to say I did not have the best time here. I really don't have anything nice to say. Used to frequent regularly but since they have changed management customer service has gone way downhill! Inego and Kimberly used to bring us fresh fruit by the pool and when I rented cabanas we were well taken care of. This will be my last visit to the pearl. We were not allowed to park at the hotel and the spot we moved out of was never filled during our stay, and 4 of us in the room were told to quiet down at 8pm. Oh yeah and don't write a negative yelp review...we were threatened with a lawsuit when a poor review was given.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Very sorry you feel you had a less then stellar experience at the Pearl. I will be looking into your stay. I take each and every review very seriously. While our management team has changed a bit, ownership and pride of ownership has not. Guest experience is paramount to me and our company values.

i hope you will give us another try. feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Amazing place...step back from the city and enjoy a rerlaxing and friendly hotel. Restaurant has amazing food and the staff make this place...can be a bit noisy during the evenings because of the events they hold but nothing to worry too much about!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are nice but can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for the support and we appreciate your 5-star review. Glad you could visit us and hope you can return for another stay. Please tell a friend. Make it a great day.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I’m not sure why this hotel gets so many raves. Pleasant staff aside, it’s a refurbished, very generic 1950’s motel with modest amenities in the rooms. Our personal ‘patio’ was a shallow cement slab overwhelmed by a wall, with room enough for a bench and no more. An apartment building loomed over the patio wall, making us feel as if we were the fish in a bowl. There was little natural light in our room. At $250/night [holiday rates] I wouldn’t have expected to pay $3 for the ‘boxed’ water in the room, and would have hoped for more than only ‘free’ coffee in the morning, however decent that coffee was. The pool is microscopic. As many have commented, the bar/restaurant is quite noisy, as is the street-side traffic. A disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Appreciate your review and support. your comments are noted and will be discussed at our next manager meeting. Our staff does rock!!!. they work hard to provide amazing guest experience.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I walked into the Pearl with my husband with high expectations. Several of my friends have been to the Pearl before, and all have raved about their wonderful experiences, so of course I had to hold them to a high standard. Let me tell you, the Pearl and their staff did not disappoint! As soon as we walked through the door, we were greeted by the front desk with genuine smiles and friendly conversation. The general manager, who introduced herself as Natalie, told us that if we had any issues, to not hesitate to give her a call right away. How nice! (Although please note we did not encounter any issues!!)
We stayed in a "Strand" room and it was lovely. My husband, who sometimes has back problems sleeping on new mattresses, said he had never had a better night's sleep! Absolutely adored the goldfish that came in the room, too!

For dinner, we lounged poolside at EAT at the Pearl. From our drinks to our appetizers to our entrees, our meal couldn't have been better. The server was very attentive and friendly, and gave us some great recommendations.
This place is funky, has a vintage, quirky vibe, and a great place to hang out either just for drinks or for a full meal. Although I recommend staying at least a night in the hotel as well, to receive the full experience. This was a great first stay at the Pearl! I can safely say that we will be back again and again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Appreciate your awesome review!! We're honored you've name us your favorite hotel in SD. Thank you for your support. Glad you got a chance to enjoy our poolside restaurant too. Please come back soon! Tell a friend.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Pearl Hotel is trying to be an upscale and chic hotel. The room I stayed in had nice decor and a modern look and feel. The bed was nice. It had a bar which was empty.

I have a few issues during my memorial day stay:
- It did not provide food. I had to wake up and drive to a breakfast place. This is my vacation. It felt like work. They did provide me a list of breakfast restaurants that I had to drive to.
- The bar was empty on memorial day evening. I understand that it was a holiday but those are also my holidays.
- The live fish in the room is overkill. I understand they take care of it as the sign says but that fish looked dead and did not move much. They claim to feed it everyday but if a guest decides they do not want to be disturbed for a few days, that fish may not survive long. On top of that, I am sure the temperature of the room would affect the fish since I can change the air conditioner settings. I am not a biologist so take my comment with a grain of salt. I rather sleep well at night knowing that my presence or air conditioner setting would not affect the fish.
- It forced me to make a donation of $1 to the local community which is matched by them. That's all great but that decision should not have been forced upon me. I was too tired from my boat trip to put up a fight.

What it does do well:
- When you walk it, it is very stylish and looks like a place to stay on your vacation. The location of San Diego, CA it is in is surrounded from motel 6 types of hotels. Thus, its physical location is not an upscale neighborhood. This is why it encompass itself with high fences so that when you walk in, you forget you are in not-a-upscale neighborhood.
- The front desk clerk is nice and helpful. But no one else was there. No bartender, no chef.
- The room has a modernized decor and looked recently renovated.

I would not have an issue with the Pearl had they not advertise or make the appearance of being a resort-like hotel. It was ranked as a 4 star hotel. I am giving it an average rating although from a resort-like look and feel it deserves worse. They seriously need to improve the place from a service/amenities standpoint. No food or alcohol service means it is much closer to a motel 6 then a hilton/sheraton/marriott.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your feedback. We are a small 23 room budget boutique hotel. We are not trying to be upscale, we are trying to offer the very best guest experience to our valued travelers and guests at an affordable price.

I agree with your statement about the restaurant and bar not being open on Memorial day. you are 100% correct on that and your feedback is well heard. We discussed it as a management team and moving forward will be open for all holidays. thank you for the suggestion.

I hope you will come stay with us again soon. give us another try. We value you.
Düsseldorf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Nicely designed hotel with a really great restaurant and a cool pool area to chill out. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Kids welcome. Parking costs extra. No breakfast. Location near airport and Point Loma.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thanks for the kind review. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Pearl. We appreciate the support. Visit again soon. Please tell a friend.
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

At first, I will admit I was a little skeptical. The rooms open to the outside, which is motel like so I wasn't crazy about that and thought for a second that this place was going to be a dive. I was wrong. It really is a super nice place, a little funky and perhaps the decor needs a little update but I loved it. Very comfortable bed, clean room, bar and restaurant specials, a giant screen above the pool for movies and the staff are awesome.
Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
On behalf of The Pearl management and staff, thank you very much for the kind review. We truly appreciate it. We hope you can come back for another visit. Make it a great day.

Been to The Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!