“They know how customer service/experience is done.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #26 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Carpinteria, California
“They know how customer service/experience is done.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The short of it: Rooms are clean, beds are very comfy, the hotel and restaurant is very hip, the way they do customer service and customer experience is exactly the way it is supposed to be done.

I stay here on week long visits for business. The customer service/experience, and obviously comfy bed, is the biggest thing for me when dealing with hotels. The Pearl Hotel has excellent customer service and they actually care about providing a great experience. Everyone is friendly, seem like they enjoy what they are doing and do their jobs well. They hustle to do the right thing.

If you are super picky about noise levels, you should know that on movie night, it doesn't get quiet until about 11 or so. I suggest enjoying the night in the restaurant and being part of the scene. Additionally parking can be tricky on movie night cause it's popular.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thanks for the great review!!!!! really appreciate your support. Yes, our Pearl team does care about our guests. We are all about guest experience and hospitality. Hope you will come visit us again soon. Tell a friend and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from the entire Pearl Hotel crew.

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Carnelian Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying in this boutique hotel, for a wedding. The staff were extremely friendly and accomodating (with great patience !) The rooms were nicely decorated, very clean and every need was taken care of. The food was amazing and plentiful, do not have one complaint. I would, without hesitation, stay at this hotel again and recommend to my friends, family and clients (I am a travel partner).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!. Greatly appreciate your review. Hope you will come stay with us again soon. Tell a Friend. Cheers and kind regards, The entire Pearl Hotel crew.
Sonoma, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My daughter highly suggested this hotel because of the friendly staff, cozy atmosphere and accommodations. She was absolutely right! Everyone was so nice..I have a broken wrist and staff assisted me all of the way with a cheery attitude and smiles (most important because I was a waitress for 30 years and I know all about customer service). I saw other people write that it was a "bit noisy". I did not find that to be the case at all. I enjoyed the festive atmosphere even though I was in my room. I LOVED SCOOTER, MY FRIEND THE FISH!!!!!

Anyway I HIGHLY suggest The Pearl as a place to stay. They all made me feel like family and I will definitely return on my next visit!

Thank you to all staff, from managers to housekeepers!

Lorie Ropp

Room Tip: If you are looking for a place to stay in San Diego this is the ONLY place to stay...especially for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Happy Holidays. Thank you very much for the great review. Glad you stayed with us. Will tell Scooter the fish hello from you. Hope you will come visit us again soon. pleasure serving you.
north vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like best friends! Thanks to the wonderful staff, Josh, Kim, Emily and Danielle who helped us make our first visit to San Diego ....not our last! Who wouldn't love a place where your room comes with a comfortable king sized bed, and your own pet fish? The location was very good if you have a car...close to the airport, downtown and the beaches. We parked on the residential streets behind the hotel for free....no problem with that, or you can pay $10 a night to park on the property. We had dinner at the hotel the first night, and it was very good and fairly priced...we booked for 3 nights but liked it so much that we stayed a 4th...and for our last night before getting back on the plane in LAX, Kim made some calls and found us a nice place to stay in Venice Beach. Nothing seemed too much trouble for this team! Love this place, and would go back in a heart beat! They made us feel very special, and when leaving hugs were given!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 2nd floor and away from the main street traffic noise....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Appreciate your detailed review. Will share with the entire staff. I am lucky to work with awesome people that truly care about our guest experience. Please tell a friend and Happy Holidays.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have travel from Brazil to visit my daughter in San Diego and she has find this little hotel in Point Loma for me.
I was totally surprised, the rooms are well decorated, spacious and clean.
The staff was courteous and very helpful and I felt good in a bit.
The highest point is the restaurant. Great food.
The area around is beautiful and will find pleasant for an occasional jogging or a walk seeing the boats.
I strongly recommend this affordable and fantastic little hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review. we appreciate your support. Our food is rocking!!!!. we have a geat culinary team and our servers love taking care of our guests. Hope you will come visit us again soon. Tell a friend. Happy Holidays.
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Pearl Hotel, to me, is truly a gem. I've been coming to The Pearl's restaurant for years (from Los Angeles) each time I'm in San Diego because it is hands down the bomb diggity! I recently had my first sleepover at The Pearl and I must say, the hotel aligns with my experience at the restaurant.
Service was awesome from moment of check in. Greeted personally and professionally; and we got to meet the owner of the hotel, Greg, who was beyond personable and friendly. Our room was impeccable and beds were super comfortable and I'm really finicky about mattresses and pillows - slept like a baby! The bathroom toiletries were H2O brand and I tend to judge a hotel by toiletries - passed with an A+.
The location is awesome - walking distance to the marina/harbor. The hotel's on a busier street but that doesn't deter. In fact, it makes it more convenient - for breakfast I walked to Starbucks and McDonalds to pick up some grub. If you make the mistake of not eating at The Pearl's restaurant, you will live a life of remorse. I anticipate that meal for weeks and each time, I leave San Diego dreaming of their yummy house-made donut hole desserts. We are major foodies and we love, love, love The Pearl restaurant. Plus, they play movies and older shows on a drive-in style screen above the pool so you can watch that during dinner. Such a great vibe!
What made our stay even greater is the fact that we ended up learning about a Bike4Beer bike ride that the owner was organizing over our stay and luckily we had our bikes on us - We had a great time and made new friends. I wish there were more places and people like those of The Pearl.
What I like best about The Pearl is the fantastic service, cleanliness and commitment to excellence at the property and restaurant. What I like least was that the rooms are on the smaller side, but it's not a resort property and I didn't come to San Diego to stay in my hotel room, so that's OK!
Definitely returning and I would recommend staying/eating here to a friend.

Room Tip: Room #5 (first floor) is more spacious than others. Restaurant makes reservations for hotel guests...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Great meeting you. Glad you had the opportunity to do our Bike 4 Beer event and celebrate SD Beer Week. Really appreciate the great review and kind words. it's guests like you that make this business so much fun. Look forward to seeing you in the future. Happy Holidays.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Pearl is located on Rosecrans Street which is a major street in the Point Loma neighborhood of San Diego. If you are coming to San Diego with little to no knowledge of the area, Point Loma is a great place to be situated. It is close to most all of the major freeways, near the airport and zoo, plus it is relatively quiet at night. I thought about staying downtown, but we ultimately chose the Pearl in Point Loma. It is a motel that has obviously been restored. If you go thinking this place is the Ritz, you are going to be disappointed. While the motel definitely has charm, the furniture in our room was a little worn, the bathtub had rust around the drain (probably due from being so close to the ocean). None of these things really bothered me, I liked our little room! We had one of the larger rooms, I would say to definitely stray away from the smaller rooms if you plan to stay more than one night, otherwise you will probably start to feel claustrophobic. There is a beta fish in each room, which is a cute touch, but normally we do not get maid service everyday and this time I made sure we did because I was scared that little Duke wasn't going to get to eat!!! Haha I even contemplated buying fish food. I'm certain he was okay, I'm just silly. I wouldn't suggest this motel to my parents but for people in their 20s and 30s, I think this is just fine. Would definitely recommend to my friends!

Room Tip: I would suggest rooms on the bottom level, unless you would like to climb stairs. However the balco...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire Pearl team, Thank you very much for your review of the Pearl Hotel. We appreciate your support. Please come stay with us again soon.

Been to The Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!