“Great Family Vacation Spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2576 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #9 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Family Vacation Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Homewood suites is in an excellent location and very close to everything you would want to do while in San Diego. The property is located on the water with a great walking path and people watching benches. The rooms are fine but I advise to ask for a second or third floor. We originally had a first floor room and we switched on our second day.

The customer service was excellent. When I asked for a new room to replace the first floor room, the front desk clerks were quick to offer help and offered to move our luggage as well. Anytime we needed directions or suggestions on where to eat, etc., the hotel staff was quick to please and offer maps and local knowledge.

The breakfast was fine, nothing fancy but enough to get a meal to start your day. By our fourth day we opted for a bagel place down the street.

The pool area was clean and modern and we enjoyed the entire property with many outside sitting options.

While in SD we visited the Zoo, Sea World, Petco field, Safari Park and all were very close and easy to drive to.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great value, great customer service and a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
rts1234rts,

Excellent review, thanks for sharing and for staying with us while you explored San Diego. I'm happy to hear we were able to help make your stay more comfortable by getting you into a different room that you enjoyed more. Come back again with the family again sometime and bring your friends!

Sincerely and respectfully,

864 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked this hotel because it was rated so highly on Trip Advisor. This is a Homewood Suites but even for a suite type hotel, this is an average property at best.

Specifically:

The Pros:
- This is in a nice area with ample parking. Very close to many of San Diego's tourist attractions. Liberty Station is also a nice neighborhood and there were several restaurants, a couple of Starbucks, a grocery store, etc. within a 5 minute drive.
- The hotel is located on a pretty lagoon with a very lovely walking path out onto an esplanade. We had a wonderful view of the 4th of July fireworks at Point Loma.
- There are some nice outdoor tables and grills (although there is a sign saying the "public is welcome" which rendered the grills/tables inaccessible on the 4th of July) overlooking the path/lagoon.
- There are many selections for the full/included breakfast including fresh fruit, a waffle maker, some type of an egg dish and accompanying meat (sausage, Canadian bacon, bacon, etc.). We stayed from Thursday (the 4th) through Monday (the 8th) and the complimentary dinner is served Monday through Thursday (but no holidays, it seems). So we did not avail ourselves of the dinner.

The Cons:
- The outdoor pool and hot tub are too small for a property this size (max pool load of 31 and hot tub of 6). The hotel was fully booked and there was NO ROOM in the pool or hot tub on numerous occasions. The hot tub was also broken a couple of times while we were there.
- The front desk staff was nice but somewhat ineffective.
- The halls were very warm - seems they might not have been cooled at all.
- The rooms were a bit shopworn - with pilly and not particularly clean looking blankets and spreads. My sheets (on the bed) had stains on them and they were not changed the entire time we were there.
- The furniture in the rooms was also showing age - stained, gauged, etc.
- I'd called in advance to ask about the washer and dryer situation. I was advised there is one on every floor. Well, it turns out that there was ONE laundry room on the 2nd floor of each of the two buildings (south and north) with four washers/dryers in each and both were used constantly (and machines were broken in both but were fixed the next day.) It was a real challenge to get laundry done.
- The wireless was spotty in the room.
- The breakfast buffet was way too crowded. The staff could not keep up with the emptying of all of the food. Coffee ran out and took a while to be refilled. Fruit loops ran out early and we were advised they were "gone" for the day (and this is the only time my kids get that treat.). There is not really enough seating at certain times that breakfast is being served.

I would not return to this hotel - especially at the price point of mid 200's per night (for a Hilton Honors member.) This was my first experience with Homewood Suites, but I expected much better given the high ratings the property received on Trip Advisor. There is a Courtyard right next door and lots of other hotels in the area so I'd do my shopping unless the price was right for this Homewood Suites.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi emcfish,

Thanks for the honest review, I'm sorry to hear it was so disappointing! It is nice to see you still have a pros list, but that cons list is much too long and for some of those issues, there are no excuses! Sometimes things happen that we don't and can't plan for, which was definitely the case here plus some additional issues that should never have happened here. As you can tell from the other TA reviews, we are pretty on point here, so I hope if you do decide to come back and give us a chance sometime we are able to make it up to you.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Aiea, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great hotel location, clean and very accomodating to all travelers from business to family. Very easy and comfortable - feels like home. The complimentary breakfast and dinners with free wine and beer are very convenient especially traveling with family. Sea World and SD Zoo are close and easy to get to; downtown and balboa park are nearby as well. Parking is a non-issue and there is a sushi, thai and pizza/beer parlor within 5 minute walk across the parking area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Hi Marylin R,

Great review. Short and sweet and exactly what we want people to see is that were accommodate all types of traveler while giving them a sense of that home feeling. Come back again sometime.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Quite disappointed with my stay here, despite all the rave reviews. Check in staff was average, but the first thing that had me wondering why I chose this hotel was the hot hallway walking to our room that obviously was not air conditioned and the strong smell of what the quests cooked in their rooms the night before. Not a good mix!!!! Then to our one bedroom suite that was very tight and in serious need of an update and a good cleaning. Spent the extra money for a bay view room which wasn't worth it. The linens were not what you expect at a Hilton either; extra thin sheets, an old looking pilled blanket and a tired looking bedspread. I will say the breakfast offering was quite good, but that is the only thing that was decent about this hotel. If I paid half of what I spent, I wouldn't have minded so much but this Homewood Suites is not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The facility is average at best. The room was ok. Clean Enough. The pull out bed was poor. The breakfast area wasn't staffed well enough and the people there seemed overworked to the point of not caring. No glasses clean for juice. Coffee ran out and no attention to keeping it brewing for the constant flow of people. I stayed on Hilton points and feel that 50000 is too steep for this place. They can do better and should.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I attended a 3-day professional conference at the nearby Sheraton Hotel and Marina in June, and I decided to bring my family along so we could make a week-long vacation out of it. The Homewood Suites was such a great value for us. The nightly rate was less than the Sheraton's special conference rate, plus the Homewood Suites included a hot breakfast buffet, parking, internet and a hot dinner buffet including beer and wine (the dinner buffet was for four of the seven nights we were there). I would have had to pay extra for all of these items at the Sheraton. Even though the food was free, it was good. I would say it was equivalent to "fast casual" food you would get at major national restaurant chains such as Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, etc. It was about a 30 minute walk to and from my conference across a small pedestrian foot bridge and then along a trail through the scenic Spanish Landing Park. Given the great weather in San Diego, these walks were quite enjoyable. By car, the conference was only 5 minutes away. The hotel is very convenient to the airport, and its central location served as a great jumping off point for my family's adventures each day. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends wanting to stay in San Diego. I would also recommend that you have a car so you can better explore the San Diego area and its many tourist attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Hey RebelHokie,

Thanks so much for the great review and for staying with us even though your conference at the Sheraton. It's really not that far, so it's great to hear you took advantage of our weather here and walked the short distance. Our location really is awesome when it comes to wanting to explore the different parts of the city, however a car is always nice because like you said not everything is walking distance. The family must have loved it, I'm happy to hear you were able to take advantage of that opportunity to bring them along.

Cheers!

Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We hosted our Family Reunion at Homewood Suites June 28-31, 2013 and we had a great time. The staff was very accommodating and very professional. I really liked the location of the property. I had a two bedroom suite that was really nice. Special thanks to the staff that worked our banquet (Robert and Tonya you were great). The food at the banquet was good also. My family really enjoyed the breakfast each morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gus,

Thanks again for choosing us of all places to host your family reunion, we are truly honored! It's always nice to hear that our staff was very accommodating to our guests so thanks again, I will make sure Robert and Tonya are recognized for their excellent service. We hope to have you and your family back here again next year.

Take care!

Jason

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Address: 2576 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106
Location: United States > California > San Diego
#2 Business Hotel in San Diego
#4 Family Hotel in San Diego
#42 Romantic Hotel in San Diego
Hotel Class:3 star — Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homewood Suites San Diego Airport - Liberty Station Hotel San Diego
Homewood Suites Liberty Station
Homewood San Diego
San Diego Homewood Suites

If you own or manage Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.