“My new favorite San Diego hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2576 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #9 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Sacramento
“My new favorite San Diego hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is perfect in every way and when I come back I will definitely be staying here again! Why is it so great? First off, every rental is a suite with a one bedroom, couch that turns into a queen bed, a kitchen (fridge, microwave, stove top, dishwasher), and bathroom. I had everything I needed here. Breakfast is included and is really great and get this, dinners are also included (with free beer and wine!) weekdays excluding holidays. We took advantage of this since we have two young kids. Each day the menu changes and you get a menu on your fridge so you know what's available, but one day was roast chicken with salad, there was a sandwich bar, hot dogs, etc. The pool is also great- there's a work out room, game room, and the area is very central to anything. It's not downtown or anything, but I like that it's in a quiet location that's still accessible within 5-10 minutes of touristy stuff like seaport village. The staff is very friendly too and we were here over the 4th and could see great shows from our balcony. Plus liberty station next door has great restaurants- overall no negatives I could see other than I have to leave!

Room Tip: It's worth spending the extra money to get a bay-view room since the parking lot views aren'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hi Zeppgirl,

Awesome! Everything you said was everything we like to hear, so I'm glad to hear it and happy we just became your new favorite hotel in San Diego. That's pretty hard to beat and says a lot but I think our current rank on TA supports that pretty well. We expect to see you back here very soon then and bring all your friends!

Cheers!

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Pacific Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I recently had a nice five day stay here. Even though I picked this location due to its proximity to the Admiral Kidd where I was going for a wedding, it is pretty easy to get anywhere in San Diego from here.

It is a nice, clean hotel that seems safe and has lots of free parking...all important things! The room was more than enough for me as I was traveling alone. Even though the room was close to the airport I rarely heard traffic, the main noise was from military type activity but that was during the day and not a problem. Early one morning I did hear a dog whining and howling which was a surprise as the hotel does not allow dogs so it was either snuck in or a poorly behaved service dog.

I loved that the hotel was super close to a variety of eateries and grocery stores...really comes in handy when you are traveling.

I work from home and appreciated the free wi-fi that worked well throughout my stay.

I never took advantage of dinner as it did not work with my schedule but I did have breakfast one morning. The hotel must have been near capacity as the place was nuts and they were out of quite a few things but they were working to get them refilled. I went down on Saturday and Sunday and immediately went elsewhere...the place was like an elementary school cafeteria. I do not have kids so the ruckus was a bit much for me but if you are traveling with family you will fit right in. There are tables outside that are much quieter but honestly I did not have the effort to maneuver through the chaos to try and get food. This was not the fault of the hotel, but if you want breakfast on the weekend you might want to go early ahead of the crowd :)

It is unfortunate to ding a hotel for not delivering on something that is an added service but it definitely bummed me out. Prior to my stay I had contacted the hotel about getting champagne or something like that delivered to the room of the bride and groom whose wedding I was attending. I was happily informed that the hotel would gladly provide complimentary champagne, nuts and fruit for the happy couple but I could add some chocolate covered strawberries, etc. if I wanted. This was perfect, if this had not been an option I would have gotten them a gift basket with goodies as they probably would not actually get to each much on their wedding day. I provided my credit card info to have strawberries included along with the other items. After the wedding the bride mentioned she was starving and debated a pizza delivery and I smiled knowing how excited they would be for their snacks!The bride is a good friend so I was a little surprised she did not mention anything that night or the next morning but figured they were celebrating and getting ready to head out their honeymoon. The next morning after they left for their honeymoon, I went to their room to collect her wedding dress and his tux...there were no signs of champagne or any of the goodies. After following up with staff I got an apology that the ball had been dropped at some point and the items were never delivered. They did ask how they could make it up and my account was not charged for the strawberries, but the moment is gone and I would have preferred this had not been an option so I could have planned something different and made my own arrangements.

Overall, it was a nice stay and I would recommend this hotel for someone who is going to be in town for a few days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hello Geoggirl,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review and a good one at that, despite us dropping the ball on the delivery. Again, we are very sorry about that and hope we can still make it up to you but as you said that's not really the point and the time is gone. Anyways, I hope you know we don't take these type of things lightly and although it would have been an "extra', we still should have made it happen. We do the very best we can to accommodate all of our guests in any way we can, including special requests, especially for a bride and groom that chose us among many other options. The fact that you are still able to give us a great review says something pretty strong, so thanks it's that's good. Thanks again for still giving us a great review.

Frederick, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

- Our family with 2 teens had a great stay.

Had 1 bedroom suite with pullout sofa for the kids. Upon request (no charge) they gave us a memory foam top for the pullout sofa to make it comfortable. Also they gave us an airmattress and pump for our other child. Both teens slept fine.

Wife complained about the loud rumble of the AC system, but after 1st night she was fine with it. I had no issues and slept fine.

Grounds and surrounding area are beautiful. Nice walks in morning and evening.

Excellent central location. We were able to get around to any/all parts of San Diego in 10-15 minutes...Coronado, downtown, Balboa Park, Old town, Pacific, Mission beaches...all within 5-10 miles/ 15 minutes tops to get anywhere. Traffic wasn't much an issue at all for us. La Jolla was the only high-traffic area we encountered and also once on I-5 during 5pm rush hour, Just a 5 minute delay around the Mission Bay area coming back to hotel. Nothing bad though compared to DC/Baltimore area trafffic issues though. Not even close.

Breakfast (everyday) and dinners (Mon-Thurs) were quite fine. Saved alot of money on this. We usually got a nice lunch out and about, then had dinner back at the hotel. Only negative comment was frequently the food service staff just couldn't keep up with the crowd demands at breakfast and dinner. Silverware supplies, plates and food bins were frequently out at times and you had to stand around and wait a few minutes for them to re-stock food and utencil supplies. Peak breakfast was about 8-9:15am and it does get crowded and loud. Go earlier if you want a peaceful morning time breakfast experience.

Oh, and with dinner...they give out free wine and Miller Lite on tap. Just an added bonus.

Front desk staff was quite attentive and responsive. They brought up fresh bath towels and TP and such withing 5-10 minutes tops after we called down to them on numerous occassions during our 8 day stay.

Parking if free and plenty of open spaces at all times.

Lots of nearby restuarants to walk to or within short 1 mile drive to. No parking issues at all. Trader Joes and Von grocery stores are just a few blocks away...about 15 minute walk or short drive in car.

Overall, I recommend this place to anyone who wants a pleasant stay in San Diego area. Its a great location and great accomodations with attentive staff.

Room Tip: Don't worry about hotels proximity to the airport. No planes fly in or out after 8pm so the air...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rob55,

Thanks for the great and detailed review, we do appreciate it and I'm sure others reading this will too. I'm happy to hear we were able to make your stay wonderful and the entire family was comfortable. It's also great to read we were able to take care of the requests and issues right away, we always do the very best we can. As you said, I have to agree that as busy as traffic is here, it hardly compares to DC or even LA for that matter, thankfully. Our location and proximity to everything around helps very much. Anyways thanks again for your comments and for recommending us, we hope to see you all back here sometime soon!

Kinda regards,

Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'm a frequent business traveler (Hilton Diamond), and have had numerous work-related stays at other Homewood Suites properties. This particular stay, however, was for a mini-vacation with my wife. We went the weekend before July 4th, checking out on the fourth. That weekend the hotel was sold out with two weddings, the following week the hotel was jammed (probably also sold out) filled with families with young children. This is quite different from other Homewood stay I've ever had; typically the majority of guests are business travelers. In many respects the stay was good, the room was a standard Homewood studio (good), although I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get an upgrade to a one bedroom (The hotel was sold out and this wasn't a major issue). The pool area was rather small, and crowded with families with kids; we never used it for that reason. The worst part of our stay was breakfast, which is what the remainder of this review focuses on.

The unusual guest makeup, combined with the architectural problems of this hotel, really caused a problem at breakfast. The breakfast area is undersized for the hotel. The tables were pushed together, and extra folding tables and chairs were added. This meant that navigating from the buffet to your table means squeezing through narrow passages between occupied tables. While the food itself is the standard Homewood breakfast (good), you'll have to wait in line for everything. They are constantly running out of items such as eggs, bread, coffee/coffee supplies, etc. All mornings but one we had to clean our own table because the staff was too busy replenishing everything to get around to table cleaning. The problem isn't due to the staff though, they work hard and replenish things quickly. We came to the breakfast between 8 and 9 every morning, perhaps it would be better at 6:30.

Note to management - I recommend you set up TWO breakfast buffets, one outside and one inside. There is ample space outside, and all you'd need is a few more tables and another attendant. The breakfast was unacceptably crowded and chaotic during our stay.

In conclusion, this is a nice property in a good location, with good rooms. It is a good central location to do things in San Diego with a car. If you don't care about the breakfast, stay here. If breakfast is important to you, stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hi rh59,

Thanks you for your review, we do appreciate your comments. I will make note of this and assure you our team of managers will see this and take everything into consideration. Our breakfast does get very busy at times, particularly during the weekends in summer and on holidays. We are actually going to be doing some renovations soon to make the dinning area much larger so we can accommodate more guests at the same time. I do like the idea of having something outside, so we will see what we can do.

As for the families and leisure travelers, that's something that would be hard to change to be honest. We love having them as much as we do the business travelers, however I can also assure you that the summer months, specifically holidays are the busiest! So maybe try to come back and stay with us again during the slow season and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

It seems like you enjoyed your stay otherwise, so thanks again and we hope to have you back here again sometime in the future.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was a reunion week with family and friends and the site proved to be perfect for everyone. Loved the proximity to the waterfront, walking area, shopping center and new Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens. We were there for their grand opening and were impressed with the transformation from Naval Mess Hall to an amazing stone/water/wood restaurant/bocce ball/theater complex. Staff were incredibly accommodating, loved the full kitchen and cozy bed. Bonus to have breakfast and weekday meals available. Definitely kid friendly with lots of families.
We have stayed in all areas of San Diego & environs, but this was a first and proved to be ideal. Liberty Station is unique and centrally located with lots of open space & character.

Room Tip: We were lucky to be in the south building, facing the water/old training ship. It was quiet on the t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CoastalTraveler007,

First I just have to say cool name, I like it. Also, thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to write us a great review. We appreciate it and are honored you all chose us for the reunion. Glad you all enjoyed it and everything we have to offer around here.

Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

First, a tip. This is a relatively new hotel and it is located in the back of a relatively new shopping center. So when you turn on to Laning Road it is not 100% clear how to get to the hotel. Turn right into the shopping center and go straight through.

An often overlooked asset of some of some hotel are the people. This is the case here. Everyone from start to finish was friendly and helpful and really seemed committed to helping you feel at home. This is most likely what will help me decide to come back again. But back to the hotel.

I always hate to say this because it sounds so blah but here goes: this is what you should expect from a Homewood Suites. It is a clean, comfortable place to stay only minutes from downtown San Diego and the airport. And it also has the same, just so-so breakfast you would expect from this level of hotel. Things are just a bit below what you would want across the boards (in terms of the breakfast) and as is often the case some of the things just should never happen - like the carafe of hot water being cold at 7AM. How does that happen? But it just seems to at this type of hotel (as it did at the other Homewood we visited a while back).

We have a young child and, to be honest, he is a noisy sleeper. So having a one-bedroom suite was a huge plus. The living room/kitchen is nicely appointed with a full kitchen, comfortable furniture and a big-screen TV. Plus the space is pretty roomy. The bedroom is pretty small- which is fine but it is like the rooms you used to get in NYC. If the bathroom wasn't off the bedroom you would probably have less than 2' around the bed on 2 sides and likely 3 on the other. We didn't care but it is small. The bathroom is spacious and everything worked well.

The only minor (read "wouldn't stop us from coming back") is that the air conditioning is pretty loud. For a couple minutes I found myself saying, "wow, are we near a freight train track." Nope. Just the ac unit. Plus there is the reality that the hotel is near the airport. You will hear airplanes at some point but again, not bothersome to me but good to know. Finally, the sound-proofing isn't as good as it could be between rooms. So if you are a sensitive sleeper and you combine the noise of the AC with the sound proofing- could be an issue.

We considered Embassy Suites but wound up staying here because they have free parking, free internet and also free breakfast. The breakfast doesn't compare but the rooms are comparable to an average Embassy Suites in terms of amenities.

Room Tip: We liked our room that bordered the courtyard versus the street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Hello SFWorld,

Thanks for the tip, that is something that does come up from time to time. Some people say we are very easy to find and some do have a hard time finding us, usually if they are coming from Rosecrans but from the Airport it's very easy! Either way we are always happy to help guests find us and are phones are always on. Unless we just can't hear them due to the air conditioning, or airplanes above. Just kidding, we do take those things serious and fix any loud AC's asap! Unfortunately we can't control the planes but we do the best we can from where we are and most the times it's not a problem. As for the cold water and breakfast, we will continue to do the best we can. Anyways, we do appreciate your comments and for staying with us and hope to have you come back and stay with again sometime.

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our recent San Diego business trip required many of our colleagues to stay in close proximity. Laura Krueger managed to juggle all our business requirements and Homewood Suites became our home away from home for 6 weeks. The rooms were well maintained and beds provided a great night’s sleep. The hot complimentary breakfast every day and dinner thru the week were a great start and end to our days. Liberty Station is a great location; it's close to many eateries and shopping. Thank you Laura, Jason and all your staff for meeting all our needs and taking such great care of us all. You guys all ROCK! Free parking and scenic walking areas behind the hotel were icing on the cake. If a return trip is needed we'll be back to see our Homewood Suites friends at Liberty Station.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rob!!

Thank for the great review it was a pleasure having you guys stay with us, you will all have to come back again sometime. Laura is the best and I must agree we do have a great team, so I am happy to hear you agree and were happy with your stay. Until next time, take care!

Cheers!!

Jason

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Address: 2576 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106
Location: United States > California > San Diego
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#2 Business Hotel in San Diego
#4 Family Hotel in San Diego
#43 Romantic Hotel in San Diego
Hotel Class:3 star — Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homewood Suites San Diego Airport - Liberty Station Hotel San Diego
Homewood Suites Liberty Station
Homewood San Diego
San Diego Homewood Suites

If you own or manage Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.