“Generally a great place to stay, but not the best.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2576 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #9 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Anchorage, Alaska
“Generally a great place to stay, but not the best.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed at Liberty Station Homewood Suites on four seperate trips, mixed work and pleasure. When they first opened up, it was a fantastic place to stay; however, as time passed, things went a bit down hill, especially the customer service. Also, for those military and other federal employss, folks on TDY needing the per diem rates, this place use to have lots of rooms available to the military and other federal agencies, needing the per diem rates, now they turn us away more often than not, because they have a high occupancy rate, like 95%, so they say they don't need to draw the per diem customers. They have made they're money, so now they concentrate on the higher dollar customers.
My last trip, back 3/2013, was difficult to convience the manager to let me in at the perdiem. When the manager finally put a room together for me, because I'm a Hilton diamond member and generally stay on Hilton properties 30 weeks each year, the room was smokey, they had to move me, and down I went into a room next to the entrance at the far end of the building...noisy and difficult, no view, no good access to parking, etc...
So, bottom line for me, Homewood Suites at Liberty Station, is okay. It is far from most amenities, like the Lamp Light district, downtown, etc... One can walk, but its a long walk, and its a long walk past the airport and traffic is extremly heavy.

Room Tip: Get a waterfront if possible, but don't get stuck on the bottom floor at the far ends of each bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi Frank B,

Thank you for your review, we do appreciate your comments and your loyalty, not only with Hilton but here at our Homewood Suites as well. I am very sorry to hear your most recent experience with us was not the best and hope you give us another chance to make it up to you. We do understand your frustration at the increased lack of availability of government rated rooms and will continue to try and do the very best we can to accommodate as a government, business and leisurely traveler. As you are aware, we do have a very high occupancy throughout the year and fill up fast, so it always better to try and make your reservation here as soon as possible, although I know that is easier said than done sometimes. We have always appreciated our government travelers but due to our own budgets, we unfortunately have been forced to limit the amount we can allow. Our Sales Manager works very hard to fit in as many as possible, by running the numbers and getting back to people as soon as something opens up. As for the location of the room, I am also sincerely sorry to hear about disappointment with the rooms. Please let us know next time you come back and we will do the best we can to make it up to you.

863 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Georgetown, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My Husband and I have been staying here now for 5 months. He is a contractor for the Navy. The staff has gone above and beyond in making our stay enjoyable. If there's been a need, they are always there to assist. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept up. We enjoy using the pool and Jacuzzi on a regular basis. They provide a wonderful breakfast 7 days a week and dinner Monday thru Thursday. I'd especially like to thank Laura Krueger the sales manager and Andrea Perez our maid for doing such a great job. Laura is always so friendly and professional. She also stays late to personally meet the hotel guest at dinner. Andrea is always very thorough in cleaning our room and making sure that we have everything we need. She's the best! Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi Laurie,

Thanks so much for the review, we do appreciate the kind words and I will make sure both of these lovely ladies you mentioned here are recognized. It is nice to have you and your husband here for a while, we are happy to assist in any way we can so please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. We do appreciate you staying with us and for taking the time to writ this review. See you around soon, I'm sure.

Cocoa Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

One member of our group has severe mold and chemical sensitivity, making finding a hotel room challenging at times. A desk clerk (manager?) named Del was very understanding about this and took the time to show us multiple units in the hotel until we found a workable one. His understanding and patience was exceptional and very much appreciated.

As for the hotel itself, it is in a beautiful location with many shops and restaurants nearby. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocoa Beach Locals,

Going "above and beyond" is something we take pride in, so I am happy to hear that we were able to do that for you two. Del is our Front Office Supervisor and such an asset to our team, I will be sure to let him know how happy you were with his service and make sure he is recognized for it. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review.

canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Last Novemeber was our second trip to San Diego from Canada and I was just as pleased staying here this time as I was the last (each stay was 7 days.) The check in was a breeze which was wonderful after 10 hrs of travel with three small children at 11pm at night. The room is plenty big for our family (1 king bed 1 bed suite). What is nice about this hotel is that it is just like home. After long days at Sea World or the beach, it was wonderful to come back "home" to smiling staff, a clean put together room and a wonderful supper. The outside patio was great for relaxing and the pool was a hit with the kids. This hotel is in the perfect location with beautiful views of the water. Making your way around San Diego is a breeze from this location too. After our trip to San Diego we headed to Anaheim and stayed at a Homewood Suites there. Lets just say that every other HWS should strive to be exactly like the one at Liberty Station. I will NEVER stay anywhere else when visiting San Diego and I look forward to staying there again sometime soon. Well done everyone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Bandtwilson,

I'm sure I speak for all of us here, when I say we are humbled and do appreciate the kind words. Thanks for choosing to stay with us again and for the great review. Out smiles around here are contagious and it is nice to know they reflect on our guests. Hopefully you get the chance to come back here again next year, or sooner!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week's vacation in San Diego with 22 month old twins. What a great experience!

We were thrilled to find when we entered the room and there were two cribs, already set up and with sheets! This is a rarity in the hotel world. The full kitchen was really nice - we appreciated the dishwasher to clean out sippy cups and snack cups. The room itself was large and quite comfortable.

Breakfast and dinner (yes, DINNER is included on weeknights) were great. There were actually enough high chairs (at least five) plus booster seats available. The food was of good quality and healthy options were available.

The pool and hot tub were lovely and a lot of fun. The heated pool was the perfect temperature, even in April. Towels provided poolside was great.

The locations is great - beautiful grounds and a view of the ocean inlet. We enjoyed being at Liberty Station and took advantage of being close to restaurants, the grocery store, and walking distance to Starbucks.

The drives to Seaworld and the San Diego Zoo were short and easy.

The ONLY complaint I can make about the hotel is that the hours they posted in the lobby for SeaWorld were incorrect. I did mention this to the front desk, so hopefully that's fixed.

If we go back to San Diego I would stay at Homewood Suites again for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Museum Maven,

Thank yo so much for your excellent review of our property and service. We love to please our guests and definitely take into consideration special requests. I am happy to hear the cribs were in the room already and understand how important that can be with the little ones. It's also great to hear how much you enjoyed our meals and the area around us, Liberty Station is such an awesome place and in a great location. Come back anytime!

Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The staff there from the check in with Jason (?), breakfast host, dinner host and housekeeping were all wonderful! I didn't get the chance to meet the GM but I have to guess that people like working for him/her because of the consistant happy demeanor throughout the staff.
My room was wonderful, my brother's room was wonderful (and it was even an ADA room- not booked ADA, but it worked out because of an early check in). It was clean and so convenient... Being so far from home it was really nice to have this HWS as a stay on our route, even just for a couple days.

Thanks for helping make our vacation even better.

P.S.- Side note, thank you to the attentive breakfast staff (young hispanic man) who noticed that my son burnt himself on the chaffing dish at breakfast (chaffing dish needs to be replaced, doesn't stay open). Host came over with some burn cream and asked my little guy if he was okay---- WAY above and beyond, if you ask me. Thank you.

Room Tip: The hotel is spread pretty far, if you are there with kids be aware of where the pool and sport cour...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Alison1030,

We are happy to hear you received such great service and that one of our staff members went above and beyond. We really do have a great and caring team here and have made sure the Chaffing dish was fixed so that something like this does not happen again. I sincerely apologize again and hope you're little guy is doing well! Please let us know if there is anything we can do, we hope you bring the family back to visit again sometime.

Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times before... rooms are similar in furnishing & decor to most of the other newer Homewood Suites. I like the location on the water and enjoy the surrounding park and walking trails. Pretty much anything we want to do in San Diego is only a short car ride away. The brewery/pizza place that shares the same parking lot with the hotel is a nice friendly place to relax and watch your favorite sporting event. The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is the early morning noise coming from the airport and/or naval base nearby will wake you up... Will definitely stay here again next time in San Diego.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hi pstitan,

It's awesome to hear that you have stayed with us many times, we do appreciate your loyalty. If we could stop the noise from the airport we would, it's just a little thing we deal with here since we have such a perfect location otherwise. Let us know next time you are

Sincerely and respectfully,

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Address: 2576 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106
Location: United States > California > San Diego
#2 Business Hotel in San Diego
#4 Family Hotel in San Diego
#42 Romantic Hotel in San Diego
Hotel Class:3 star — Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homewood Suites San Diego Airport - Liberty Station Hotel San Diego
Homewood Suites Liberty Station
Homewood San Diego
San Diego Homewood Suites

If you own or manage Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.