“Decent, but room for imporvement” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Get 5 % Back!
Ranked #113 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Lawrence, MA
“Decent, but room for imporvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Like most, I was drawn to this place by the price. It was very affordable for a lengthy stay. I stayed there 6 nights, so I got a good sense of the place.
Let's start with the good: The restaurant offers an EXCELLENT breakfast that was included in the rate. Very good portions and high quality presentation; the lobby is nice and clean, and the staff was friendly; the location is GREAT, as its one block from the center of Little Italy, which is a very active area, particularly at night, and it's a relatively easy walk to get to the County Center trolley stop.
Improvements needed: The TV selection sucks - I flew JetBlue and had FAR better channel selection than the hotel did; free shuttle from airport? Yeah, if you come at the right time. I got in and called for a shuttle, and was told it ends at 4:30; try as they may to masquerade it, you can still tell this was once a budget hotel, as the exterior corridors are dingy and the doors look like they just slapped a coat of paint on them. From the street, looks great; inside, less impressive.
I still indicate that I would recommend this hotel to a friend, because my friends are cheapskates like me and are willing to sacrifice some amenities for an affordable rate.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed in Porto Vista for one night and moved rooms twice. The first room on the 4th floor smell like cigarettes and wet spots were on the comforter which I would assume was water but I can't denied or confirm that. The comforter itself looked beat up. frayed threads and worn spots made the comforter look really old. Those weren't The reason for moving rooms was 6 teenage girls decided to rent the room next to us to celebrate a birthday party and the parents were nowhere to be found. After listening to screaming and banging for some time I decided to walk over next door and knock on the door and ask politely that the teenage girls to quiet down. The response was "we will try.." Needless to say they didn't try hard enough. I called down to the front desk explained the situation and asked if we could get a different room which they were very accommodating and switched our rooms.
The second room was much cleaner and didn't smell like it was previously occupied by a chain smoker. The comforter looked new and the sheets smelled much cleaner. The constant jet landing in the nearby airport and the train horn made sleeping difficult. Also the bathroom lights did not work. I took a desk lamp plugged it into the hallway outlet. and moved it into the bathroom just so I could get some light. Apparently the wiring was messed up. When we checked out they said the reason for the lights not working in the bathroom was because it was an "eco-friendly" room and required us to swipe our key to turn on the lights but all the lights worked in the hotel except the bathroom. Plus there was no key swipe in the room at all. Room 502 had bad wiring it wasn't because it was an eco-friendly room...

Some positives are -the location is great for visiting Gaslamp district, San Diego Zoo, and Balboa park. The staff is fairly friendly but may treat you like an idiot. Some people may enjoy that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
portovistahotel, General Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
I am so sorry to hear about your less than perfect experience with us. While we are in the process of putting in all new bedding throughout the hotel, we haven't completed every room yet. Regardless, the condition of your first room is totally unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for the lack of cleanliness. I can assure you that our room cleanliness is a top priority for us, and I will share your comments with our team.

While it can be noisy downtown, especially on weekends, we do offer earplugs to our Guests to help them better relax. However, noise due to other Guests should be handled by our staff upon notification. I will follow up with the staff working that evening to see what happened with that room.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I can promise you that we are working very hard here at the Porto Vista Hotel to take our product and our service levels to new heights in 2011! If you have any plans to be back in the area, please contact me directly. I can help to make sure that your next visit with us is absolutely perfect! Thank you, and we hope to see you again soon!

Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

just driving up to the hotel was a slight disappointment, I didnt even notice it as a hotel if it wasnt for the big banner sign saying the name. it feels like a motel turned hotel, the court yard is a cement parking lot and the rooms are cramped. the furniture was wobbly and slightly broken, the tv scratched and the walls dirty. the bathroom was child size. it looked like some retro furniture to make the multicolored walls less noticeable. the pictures resemble very little of the hotel and i was so disappointed, will not stay here again. the beds and wall mural was the only nice part. the customer service could be nicer and seem more interested in your stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit at the Porto Vista Hotel. I do understand your concern about the furniture, TVs, etc. We are working very hard in 2011 to further enhance our rooms by replacing certain furniture items, upgrading TV's, etc. While our most economically priced rooms are smaller than others, we have several different types to choose from, including two room suites.

If you will be back in the area again soon, please let me know. I'd love to get you into one of our larger suites, and give you the experience that you should have had on this past visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to call on me. Thank you, and we hope to see you again soon!

san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I booked 5 nights at this hotel in a junior suite. The pictures on the website do not match the actual room. At checkin the clerk asked me if I had a lot of luggage as the elevator was being repaired. Luckily I had local friends with me to climb to the fifth floor. Arriving at my room we found an elevator next to the room. Also it was rainy heavy and the hotel room entrances are outside and we had to walk from the stairs across two long open walk ways. We were drenched. One, the clerk should have known about the other elevator and offered us an umbrella. Back to the room. The room was very large but the furniture and bathroom looked like an assisted living room. The room was simply ugly and not clean. I returned to the hotel later the same day and asked if there was a room available that was respresented in the web site. The clerk had no idea but throught the suites had the large bathrooms with a separate shower. I returned to the room and tried the heater. The wall heater made noise all night. The comforter was torn and looked dirty. The next morning I checked out the hotel. I moved to the Sheraton Suites. The Sherator was 1000 times better than the Porto Vista and was over $10 a night less expensive with a reward program. Warning - don't stay at this hotel! There are better options in San Diego.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us. Feedback like yours is crucial to our constant elevation of our product and services.

I am horrified to read about your arrival experience. While our elevator was down for a short time due to a technical issue, the Agent absolutely should have directed you to the alternate elevator. Their response (or lack thereof) is totally unacceptable, and I can promise you that I will share this with our team to ensure this never occurs again.

I am also very upset to hear about the condition of the room. This is not typical of our rooms, and I would love the chance to speak with you further about this so we can address the specifics in that room.

Again, thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

superior deluxe room Delightful huge bathroom - the most com fortable huge bed - romantic setting - from the moment you enter the lobby you are greeted by smiling professional Reception staff...The shuttle service is amazing - they are always there for you with a smile...on the Fourth floor there is a Delightful Bar/restaurant with the happiest staff who make you very welcome...and the view from there is very sspecial. We have a very special thanks to Mo and iphone Michael for making our vacation perfect..no doubt we will be returning very soon,,,First Class I gove this property 5 stars.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

My Group & I had an great experience @ The Porto Vista Staff was very friendly & helpful The business Center was down but Front desk went extra mile to get my documents printed. We enjoyed Happy Hour @ The Glass Door Fabulous Mojitrons! Little Italy is right next door perfect Location. Complimentary Shuttle to Airport/Convention Center I would Definitly visit San Deigo again but for Vacation this time! I recommend this Hotel & I'd like to thank Leala Gonzalez for helping me coordinate my room block!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
New Port Richey, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

We booked this 3 night stay after reviewing it online. There was some "iffy" comments, but I could not figure out why. Hotel was very well located; within easy access to attractions, Harbor, Airport, etc. Staff was very helpful and friendly, particularly the hotel vehicle operator. He was more then willing to assist with any reasonable request, and shared information about the area.
Room "package" came with a very good breakfast in the "Glass Door" restaurant each morning (view from restaurant is extremely lovely). Many nice places to visit or eat at within easy walking distance of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Porto Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!