“Location, Location.......” 5 of 5 stars

Wine, Breakfast, Parking
Ranked #115 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
“Location, Location.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We rate this a five because of location, price and accommodations. We too were a little weary staying here after reading the reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed Nov. 7 - Nov. 10 and got the best price from BOOKIT.com. Stayed in the "deluxe king with balcony" room #501. Room was clean and roomy for the two of us. The hotel is located in "Little Italy" near great restaurants and bars. From the other reviews we found a great bar a short walk away, the Waterfront Tavern. Good food, cold beer and a great weekend brunch. We used the valet parking during our stay and found them to be excellent. The staff at the hotel was very pleasant and accommodating. The hotel's restaurant "The Glass Door" is located on the 4th floor. We found the food reasonably priced and delicious. The restaurant had a great view of the waterfront from it's deck. It was a nice place to have your morning coffee!

All in all our stay was great and we can't wait to return to the Porto Vista. Next time to San Diego we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. I will pass on your compliments on the Glass Door Restaurant food to the chef. I am glad our staff was able to make your stay more enjoyable. They work very hard to give great service with a smile. Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Director of Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The customer service representatives generally had a "not my problem" attitude. The wifi is very unstable, couldn't maintain a skype call for more than 3min at a time. When I reported this problem to the staff at the counter, he told me there's nothing he can do.

There were dried hairs sticking to the inside face of the bathroom door. Very disgusting.

FRAUD ALERT: if you use your credit or debit card for damage deposit, get a receipt when you check out to make sure they have refunded the money. I waited the 5 business days as directed by their staff but never received it. When I checked with my bank, they started an investigation and found that the money was not returned.

For the trouble and the risks I had to take, it was not worth it to stay here. I would recommend you to stay elsewhere, even if it's more expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We do hold $50 per night on your card for incidentals that may be incurred, which is the case in almost any hotel. You did have valet parking and a late check out fee which used up this amount. This is the reason it was not returned to your card so there was no fraud involved. I do apologize for the wifi and the Housekeeping issue and will discuss this with their department heads.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and would love to change your opinion of the hotel so if you would like to stay again, please call me directly and I will make sure your next stay is more enjoyable.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

A "five" for the combination of price, quality of accommodations, and location. We were wary of what to expect given the mixed reviews, but our experience was great. We booked a "deluxe king with balcony" for four nights, arriving Oct. 15 (Tuesday) departing Oct. 19 (Saturday). Orbitz had the best rate using a limited-time "save an extra 20%" promotion, at about $90 all-in per night.

Upon arrival we requested a higher-floor room in a quiet location. Our room was 504, on the top floor facing north. There is a lot of noise in the area, with Interstate 5 about a block to the east and the airport less than a mile to the north. Planes pass by so close to the northeast that you can almost see the passengers. I'm pretty noise sensitive, yet slept soundly at night. The sound insulation of the room was excellent, and the AC unit can be set to run on fan-only to provide a little white noise.

The room itself, though not overly large, was well equipped. The mattress and bedding were first rate. The room had a desk and chair, upholstered chair with ottoman, dresser with a flat screen TV, armoire, and wet bar with mini-fridge and microwave underneath. The bathroom had been completely renovated, with attractive new tile and all-new fixtures, including a swing-out makeup mirror. Room cleaning was good, though whoever was doing it didn't give us washclothes after the first day. We called the front desk once and they were brought to us within a few minutes.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar on the fourth floor. There are so many places to choose from nearby that we never tried them, but we did pick up menus. They've got a breakfast buffet for $8 that includes coffee, and a happy hour that's competitive with most local establishments.

We had a car for two nights. The first night we parked right in front of the hotel (got there about 4:30 in the afternoon). It's two hour parking on many of the streets until 6 pm, then overnight until 10 am. The second night was trickier. Street sweeping occurs in the wee hours Wednesday and Thursday mornings, one side one night, the other the next. Cars have to be moved, and ones that aren't are ticketed. We ended up parking a couple of blocks away. As others have noted, the hotel offers parking (I believe it was $22 a night), but it wasn't very hard to find on the street.

The location of the hotel is great - one block up from the heart of Little Italy, a few blocks up from the harbor, and a mile or so walk to the Gaslamp District. The surrounding area seems very safe compared to a lot of urban areas. Even walking back from the Gaslamp District through the heart of downtown one night was fine. There were plenty of people out and about along the way.

Our favorite happy hour spot was just a block downhill from the Porto Vista. Zia's Bistro is an Italian bar/restaurant that one regular described as "the Cheers of Little Italy." I believe it, since after three evenings there we felt like were part of the local crowd. It was like we immediately acquired a group of new friends. The happy hour food and drink prices are a bargain by urban standards and the food quality was excellent.

Back to the hotel - I think they've done a lot with what they've got to work with. Some of the external improvements are superficial, but they've definitely spent money on what matters most, which is the accommodations themselves. All the staff members were pleasant, greeting us every time we came and went. They've got an airport shuttle that runs every half hour, $5 per person, which we used when we departed. There are cheaper places, but from a value perspective this is a great choice.

Room Tip: The "king deluxe with balcony" exceeded our expectations.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and it's amazing location in Little Italy. I am glad you were pleased with the Deluxe King with a Balcony, which is a great room that gives you not only a fridge and microwave but a balcony to spend some time outside. Thank you for the lovely words on our staff as they try to give everyone who stays here a great experience. Thank you for your wonderful review!

Yakima, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

It is so hard to park anywhere. We chose valet but it still took forever. Which wasn't their fault. They were very fast once they got to you. It is downtown but I wish we had picked another hotel. The staff was nice. The room was dirty and the outdoor hallways to get to your room were kind of sketchy looking. The restaurant was very nice. The whole staff was awesome and the food was some of the best I've had. By the time we went to bed I slept for a couple hours but they have a very badly placed "lounge" right in the middle of all of the rooms and I could hear people running and screaming and yelling and laughing for three hours. Not to mention the guests upstairs were it seemed like moving furniture or physically fighting the whole night. Such a bad experience.

• Stayed October 2013
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I will speak with Housekeeping about the cleanliness of your room. I do apologize for the noise and have Security on property to handle these situations. Did you call down to the front desk to let us know what was occurring? I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would love to change your opinion of our hotel. If you would like to stay again, please call and I will make sure your next stay is more enjoyable.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Porto Vista Hotel is located in "Little Italy" in downtown San Diego. It is a short walking distance to the main street of "Little Italy" where you will find lots of fun Italian restaurants and local color. We happened to stay when there was a festival going on which was lots of fun. They had an amazing artist chalk contest with over 60 artist participating.

The hotel is an old apartment building turned into a hotel. The rooms are small but well designed. They are very affordable and offer a great breakfast in their restaurant on the 4th floor. You will be near the airport and walking distance to the Gas Lamp district where you will find great night life. You will also be within walking distance of the waterfront with lots of day activities (boat rides, bikes, visitor center).

Have fun and enjoy the beautiful weather that San Diego offers!

Room Tip: They offer valet parking for $22 a day with in and out privileges. The street parking around the ho...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so pleased you were happy with our location in Little Italy and the incredible Festa that was held here last week. I am also glad you enjoyed the breakfast and rooms. Thank you for the great review!!

We try very hard to give our guests both great service and a wonderful place to stay and visit San Diego. We hope to see you again in the future.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a very positive experience at Porto Vista Hotel. Price was great for the area. Lobby is decent, customer service is good. It is walkable to the convention center but it is a long walk. If I go to San Diego again I would definitely consider staying with Porto Vista

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, price, and our great service. Thank you for the wonderful review!!

Fountain Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Quick Review: While there isn't anything awful about Porto, please note that it is a MOTEL. Your front door opens right onto the balcony over looking the parking garage. It is a thin wall between you and the world and the room layout is identical to most motels. Only the lobby and front facade looks like the picture.

Pros: If you can get it for $100/night, then you've paid a good price to be in the heart of Little Italy and walking distance to many things.

Cons: Bait & switch photography, thin layer of privacy, room over the garage can be noisy

Review:
Porto Vista is very posh on the outside and in the lobby, but inside it is just a plain, relatively clean motel. Minimal, if any upgrades inside are noticeable. If you're laying in bed, you can hear, quite clearly, anyone that walks past your front door. You can also hear the echos from the garage below.

My only issue with Porto is that they present one image and the reality is another. Were it not for the moderate expectations they set before I arrived, I would've been happier with my check in. Of course, the parking garage is valet only and depending on how you booked, it is included or it is $18 (I believe). This is typical for downtown SD so we can't fault them really.

Overall, I would stay here again but for no more than $125/night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Expedia. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. We have recently added new photos of our renovated rooms to our website. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location and our lovely staff.

Director of Revenue

Been to Porto Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!