“Good for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #186 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Sacramento, California
“Good for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a very positive experience at Porto Vista Hotel. Price was great for the area. Lobby is decent, customer service is good. It is walkable to the convention center but it is a long walk. If I go to San Diego again I would definitely consider staying with Porto Vista

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, price, and our great service. Thank you for the wonderful review!!

We try very hard to give our guests both great service and a wonderful place to stay and visit San Diego. We hope to see you again in the future.

702 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Fountain Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Quick Review: While there isn't anything awful about Porto, please note that it is a MOTEL. Your front door opens right onto the balcony over looking the parking garage. It is a thin wall between you and the world and the room layout is identical to most motels. Only the lobby and front facade looks like the picture.

Pros: If you can get it for $100/night, then you've paid a good price to be in the heart of Little Italy and walking distance to many things.

Cons: Bait & switch photography, thin layer of privacy, room over the garage can be noisy

Review:
Porto Vista is very posh on the outside and in the lobby, but inside it is just a plain, relatively clean motel. Minimal, if any upgrades inside are noticeable. If you're laying in bed, you can hear, quite clearly, anyone that walks past your front door. You can also hear the echos from the garage below.

My only issue with Porto is that they present one image and the reality is another. Were it not for the moderate expectations they set before I arrived, I would've been happier with my check in. Of course, the parking garage is valet only and depending on how you booked, it is included or it is $18 (I believe). This is typical for downtown SD so we can't fault them really.

Overall, I would stay here again but for no more than $125/night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Expedia. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. We have recently added new photos of our renovated rooms to our website. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location and our lovely staff.

Garland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have stayed at the Porto Vista over the past 5 years, Just as always, I was very happy with the accommodations and the people. My room was spacious and comfortable, and the free wi-fi is a real bonus. The location is good, right in little Italy, and a short walk to the waterfront. They have a shuttle for a low price which took me to the event I was attending at a hotel charging over twice as much, The Glass Door restaurant and bar is very nice, with good food and a great view. I travel a lot, and have stayed at many places that charge more and give less. I would recommend this place to anyone. The towel service could be better, and the shower is low flow (as are most), but overall, Porto Vista is excellent in my view, and I will stay there again when in San Diego. It is also extremely convenient to the airport.

Room Tip: I was down a very quiet hallway on the 2nd floor. Higher up and east, you may get some airplane nois...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and have come back to visit so many times. I am glad you enjoyed the location, rooms and the Glass Door restaurant. It really does have one of the best views in San Diego. Thank you for your wonderful review!!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The Friday and Saturday nights were very noisy due to people coming back to the hotel after being out partying. The Sunday night was fine with very little noise so plan your stay to be on a week night if possible.
There is only valet parking at $22 a day, and there is very little street parking so you are stuck with this options. The valets are very efficient though at bringing you car out for you though.
The lobby looks very posh, but the rooms are a little dated in comparison, but very clean and comfortable.
The lift can be slow, so use the stairs to come and go and save yourselves a few minutes.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, close to get down town and also onto/off the freeway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback. We are in the process of updating our rooms, amenities, and public spaces this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. I do apologize for the noise, I will speak with Security about keeping the weekend nights a little quieter. I am pleased you enjoyed our beautiful location.

Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here on 9/5/13. The outside of the hotel looks nice but once you go inside, brave yourself... it looks like you're in the projects!

This looks more like an old motel (very old). They advertised "free parking" but the only free parking you'll find is on the street and depends on the times. Otherwise you have to pay $20 for valet parking.

The rooms are extremely small. The prison is only a few blocks down. I did not feel comfortable walking around the area at night.

Check-out time is at 11:00am but housekeeping was knocking on our door at 9:00am.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have begun a major renovation on our rooms this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. Our valet parking rate is the lowest in this area. We are nowhere near a prison and this area is in a very safe neighborhood.
I would love to change your opinion of our hotel. If you would like to stay again, please call and I will make sure your next stay is more enjoyable.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Walking distance from Little Italy's restaurants and cafes!! Great staff and menu @ The Glass Door!! View from the restaurant balcony is fantastic!! Incredible valet staff too!!
Get out n about & enjoy the area!! Rooms are nice, great a/c and quiet. Value is amazing for this location.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you for the wonderful comments on our valet and restaurant staff, they try very hard to give our guests the very best service. I will definitely let the chef know your lovely comments on the restaurant and its food. I am glad you enjoyed the view from the restaurant as we have the best location and view in San Diego

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my bf's birthday weekend. The location is great! Little Italy is right down the street! Very nice! Also the Gaslamp District is very close. (We took a cab there). Anyway, the King Size Deluxe room 4th floor was nice. Very clean the restroom was big and we were able to get ready at the same time. To be honest the only problem was that I felt I was at a cheap motel everytime I stepped out of the room. The inside of the actually building just looks like low income apartment homes. Not the best sight! The elevators take forever! By the time you're able to get into it, it's packed! Also the customer service isn't that great. The valet attendants were more courteous than the front desk staff! We travel a lot so we know what to look for, but for the price i guess you do get what you paid for.

• Stayed August 2013
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback. We have begun a major renovation on our hotel this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. I do apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced. I am pleased that you enjoyed both our beautiful location in Little Italy and your room.

Director of Revenue

Been to Porto Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!