“Great value, friendly people” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Breakfast-Parking-Drinks
Ranked #125 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Garland, Texas
“Great value, friendly people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have stayed at the Porto Vista over the past 5 years, Just as always, I was very happy with the accommodations and the people. My room was spacious and comfortable, and the free wi-fi is a real bonus. The location is good, right in little Italy, and a short walk to the waterfront. They have a shuttle for a low price which took me to the event I was attending at a hotel charging over twice as much, The Glass Door restaurant and bar is very nice, with good food and a great view. I travel a lot, and have stayed at many places that charge more and give less. I would recommend this place to anyone. The towel service could be better, and the shower is low flow (as are most), but overall, Porto Vista is excellent in my view, and I will stay there again when in San Diego. It is also extremely convenient to the airport.

Room Tip: I was down a very quiet hallway on the 2nd floor. Higher up and east, you may get some airplane nois...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and have come back to visit so many times. I am glad you enjoyed the location, rooms and the Glass Door restaurant. It really does have one of the best views in San Diego. Thank you for your wonderful review!!

We try very hard to give our guests both great service and a wonderful place to stay and visit San Diego. We hope to see you again in the future.

Director of Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The Friday and Saturday nights were very noisy due to people coming back to the hotel after being out partying. The Sunday night was fine with very little noise so plan your stay to be on a week night if possible.
There is only valet parking at $22 a day, and there is very little street parking so you are stuck with this options. The valets are very efficient though at bringing you car out for you though.
The lobby looks very posh, but the rooms are a little dated in comparison, but very clean and comfortable.
The lift can be slow, so use the stairs to come and go and save yourselves a few minutes.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, close to get down town and also onto/off the freeway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback. We are in the process of updating our rooms, amenities, and public spaces this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. I do apologize for the noise, I will speak with Security about keeping the weekend nights a little quieter. I am pleased you enjoyed our beautiful location.

Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here on 9/5/13. The outside of the hotel looks nice but once you go inside, brave yourself... it looks like you're in the projects!

This looks more like an old motel (very old). They advertised "free parking" but the only free parking you'll find is on the street and depends on the times. Otherwise you have to pay $20 for valet parking.

The rooms are extremely small. The prison is only a few blocks down. I did not feel comfortable walking around the area at night.

Check-out time is at 11:00am but housekeeping was knocking on our door at 9:00am.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have begun a major renovation on our rooms this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. Our valet parking rate is the lowest in this area. We are nowhere near a prison and this area is in a very safe neighborhood.
I would love to change your opinion of our hotel. If you would like to stay again, please call and I will make sure your next stay is more enjoyable.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Walking distance from Little Italy's restaurants and cafes!! Great staff and menu @ The Glass Door!! View from the restaurant balcony is fantastic!! Incredible valet staff too!!
Get out n about & enjoy the area!! Rooms are nice, great a/c and quiet. Value is amazing for this location.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you for the wonderful comments on our valet and restaurant staff, they try very hard to give our guests the very best service. I will definitely let the chef know your lovely comments on the restaurant and its food. I am glad you enjoyed the view from the restaurant as we have the best location and view in San Diego

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my bf's birthday weekend. The location is great! Little Italy is right down the street! Very nice! Also the Gaslamp District is very close. (We took a cab there). Anyway, the King Size Deluxe room 4th floor was nice. Very clean the restroom was big and we were able to get ready at the same time. To be honest the only problem was that I felt I was at a cheap motel everytime I stepped out of the room. The inside of the actually building just looks like low income apartment homes. Not the best sight! The elevators take forever! By the time you're able to get into it, it's packed! Also the customer service isn't that great. The valet attendants were more courteous than the front desk staff! We travel a lot so we know what to look for, but for the price i guess you do get what you paid for.

• Stayed August 2013
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback. We have begun a major renovation on our hotel this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. I do apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced. I am pleased that you enjoyed both our beautiful location in Little Italy and your room.

Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were looking for a boutique type hotel and AAA recommended this as someplace special. It was a little tough to find the entrance but thanks to Siri we found it. We checked in at 4 on a Sunday and the room wasn't ready. We were offered a complimentary glass of wine in the bar (fantastic view). We asked if we could have a bottled water instead of the wine and we were told that this wasn't part of the process and had to be approved by the manager. . When I became agitated the bartender said we could have the water. The room was not boutique but a motel. There was one waste basket for both the room and the bathroom. There was only enough towels for one person. The Bathroom was gigantic and had 4 handrails in the bathtub. The toilet was much lower than normal and did not have any grab-rails. The air conditioner uses a remote control which did not have any directions. Unfortunately the breakfast restaurant stopped serving so we had to go elsewhere. There was an additional charge of $30 over AAA rates. We got the car from the valet and when I got home, there was a ding on the front bumper. Even though the car had only been in the hands of the valet, I could not prove the damage. Also, it was disturbing to hear the screeching of tires.

Room Tip: Try someplace else for better value.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will speak with Housekeeping, Valet, and the restaurant about the issues you encountered.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visited San Diego for the first time in July and chose to stay at this hotel because of the price. It wasn't too expensive but it also wasn't cheap. The hotel seemed to be like any other- courteous staff, right in the heart of Little Italy, appealing decor and aesthetics. They have their own bus that can pick you up and drop you off at the airport (but also to other places such as the Zoo), and it was about $5 per person, per ride. One bad thing about this hotel is that there is no pool! There is a restaurant on the upper level called The Glass Door; I had breakfast and it was worth the price. Also, the view from the outdoor seating area is astounding. I had booked the reservation on Hotels.com at about 9am on the day of check in. However, at around 4pm the same day, I went back on Hotels.com only to see the same exact room I had just booked $20 cheaper a night, but I don't think that was Porto Vista's fault (just a heads up for anyone looking to save more money- always double check everything, especially if the website offers price adjustments).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and our great location in the heart of Little Italy. I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and the amazing views from the restaurant as we have the best location and view in San Diego. Thank you for the wonderful review!!

Director of Revenue

Been to Porto Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!