“Horrible - will never go back” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Camino del Sur/Via Verrazzano
San Diego, California
“Horrible - will never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The owner/chef has changed recently. We went there for the first time under the new ownership. The ambience and color of the decor have changed and it is very cold now. The food was terrible and I found two pieces of short blond hair in my main course. The prices have gone up drastically and on a Saturday night there were only 5 tables (about 13 persons). We terribly miss the old French chef and will never go back again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

58% Recommend
“Best meal in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have finally found a restaurant which I feel I can rave about! French cuisine cooked to perfection. The restaurant is changing ownership and the new chef cooked our meal on Saturday night based on the out-going chef’s menu. The appetizers and entrees were wonderful, desserts were a little disappointing but I hope that the new chef will change the menu ever so slightly to make way for some new desserts. Things I would gradually change about the restaurant are: table cloths (apparently will be introduced after the change-over), bussers could be trained better to ensure water glasses are constantly replenished (I had to ask 3 times for more water) and to not remove dishes from the table until all diners have completed their meal, to make the restaurant really special offer surprise appetizers before the menu items arrive (this happens in some of the best restaurants in Europe). I hope this restaurant goes from strength to strength and wish the new chef many successes. We will be back again.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Decided to give Cavaillon a try for New Years Eve. Having worked in the industry and for several of their local competitors I was eager to see how they compared with other Inland north County establishments. My wife and I made reservations on Open Table and shortly we received a call from the restaurant asking if we could push our reservation back half an hour to 7:45, which was fine. When we arrived the restaurant was running a little behind as they were completely full and we were offered complimentary champagne if we wanted as we waited (approx. 15 min.). We were seated in a quaint corner, and the service was prompt and professional. The food was excellent, invoking memories of dinners in Quebec. All of the dishes were well prepared and flavorful. The sauces were tantalizing to the pallet and the meats were cooked to perfection. The only drawback, but not a deal breaker is that when crowded the restaurant is a bit noisy. I would highly recommend this restaurant and we will definitely will be dining there again!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Eat here for Sunday brunch - it is...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Eat here for Sunday brunch - it is fantastic! Fresh beignets and wonderful salmon scramble.

Don't eat here for dinner - overpriced and quality not up to par at all to the expectation you have for fine French food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
san diego
“Good Food- BAD service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

This restaurant serves good food but if service is important to you, beware.
I see others here posted similar reviews. You cant fault the food, the owner is the Chef and he takes pride in his food execution.
However, our waiter disappeared most of the time, did not check on us. A very nice lady came to refill our drinks, we were not satisfied at all with service. I have never been so ignored at a restaurant.
This was a Friday night and I felt las if our waiter had more important things to do.
Terrible service, we left and our waiter had no idea we had even gotten up to leave.
It HURT to pay gratuity here, I never reward bad service.
I have also never been inspired to write a bad review but this was unacceptable.
No interaction, No refill of drinks, no checking on us, no good byes, we were greeted by a nice lady upon arrival but once the jerk of a waiter took over-everything went down hill.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere