“Excellent location, great value for money, amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Sofia Hotel to your Saves list
The Sofia Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   150 West Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #95 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
“Excellent location, great value for money, amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed here for a 1 night getaway with the husband recently (courtesy of our friend who gifted us via Groupon). They had a marathon or race at Petco Park on the Sunday so online rates were really high but ours had already been secured and were very affordable.

On arrival, our valet was so friendly and asked how our ride in was and made a good connection. Enzo at the front desk was soooo nice and upgraded us to a suite because we're celebrating our anniversary. He also asked us if we drank Champagne but we both hesitated in our response (gave up alcohol for lent) and instead we get a knock 5mins after we settled in with a very thoughtful card and Hershey's bars wrapped with their blue ribbon. Extra touch of special! Enzo also recommended us to Asti (Italian restaurant on 5th ave in gaslamp) and gave us a card and we got free dessert with our scrumptious dinner. Thanks Enzo!

Yes, room is smaller compared to other hotels but don't let that dampen your mood. We had everything and more and overall quite cozy. Took two baths just for the fun of it!
If you check in on yelp they give you a free Sofia Yoga dvd which has am, pm and restorative 20min sessions you can do in your hotel room, or use their 24hour yoga studio or gym.
We asked for a late check out and they extended it to 1pm! So gracious and accommodating. If you want a hotel that has value then this is your choice.
We couldn't find the PRIVACY sign to hang on our door and housekeeping knocked on our door 3 times (on day of check-out) which was a bit of a hassle but they were really nice so no worries there.

This is how good their bed is: I woke up twice thinking I was at home in my OWN bed and that never really happens!!!

Valet parking is $30 but parking on the street is free after 6pm but then I don't know when the not free part begins again the next morning so it's your main option. They do charge $8 in resort fees which covers the "free" bottles of water, wifi, newspaper, 24hour use of the studio and gym etc.

The location is great, 5-10min walk to the heart of gaslamp and convenient to everything that you need. Tender Greens and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf are "part" of the hotel so that was handy. Across the road there's Chipotle and right next to the theatre is Sushi Deli which had really inexpensive and yummy sushi choices!

This property is definitely worth it, I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Try and get a window facing the city if you can, ours had views onto the street and we people watche...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The room was very comfortable and housekeeping did a great job of making sure that all was clean. A mini-fridge, microwave, free internet and a nice sized flat screen TV are pluses. Noise reduction from neighboring rooms is very good. I left feeling very good about The Sofia. It was only after returning home that I discovered some shortcomings. I stupidly left my laptop's power cord in the room when in checked out. The next day I called to see if it was found. The first time I called I was transferred to "lost and found" and got voice mail asking me to leave my number for a return call; which I did. During the next 5 hours I did not receive a call. I called again and was told by the person who answered that she would assure that "lost and found" would answer my call; which it was. The "lost and found" person was polite and took information re: the lost item, took my name and phone number and said that she would check and return my call. I never received a call back. I know this was totally my fault in leaving the item in the room, however, I would expect that a top-notch hotel would assure that even former guest concerns are quickly addressed. Unfortunately, in this case, The Sofia fell short. While I hope that this is an anomaly, I suspect that it is not, especially since twice my phone calls were not returned. So, guest beware. Don't expect to get anything back should you be careless and leave something behind.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a clear view of any exterior street. There are rooms with only a view of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Sofia was a new hotel we booked and we were pleasantly surprised by the comfortable accommodations and proximity to the Gaslight district. We were able to walk most anywhere and when we returned, they had iced flavored water for us. Very clean and neat. Would return again when we visit.

Room Tip: Have your room overlook the front.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I can't say enough about the location; it was central to everything. Yes, it is right next to the jail, but honestly no issues walking around. Tons of great dining close by and bus/trolley routes too. Staff wasn't quite as friendly, or at least they weren't consistent. Check in was good, but depending who was behind the desk meant if we were going to get an attitude or not. Loved that they had citrus water available in the lobby! Made sure to take a glass with me everytime we arrived from our day out. The rooms were very small though, not too big a deal. We had a corner room, so our bathroom was kind of huge. Could tell that the room/hotel is historic in some of the odds/ends. Definitely would come back!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel through my credit card and lucky me, hit the jackpot again!
We stayed 2 nights before our cruise and could easily stayed longer. Check-in was friendly and efficient with helpful and (again) friendly door staff.
Location is great. The Horton Centre is across the road, the Gaslamp District 4 blocks and Trolley station 2 blocks the other way. All easy walking.
We ate twice in the Currant Restaurant...same quality service and top food and had no problems finding our other meals nearby.
Check-out was as simple as check-in and a $5 taxi ride took us to the cruise terminal in a couple of minutes.
A great and satisfying experience.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My Wife and I have stayed her by ourselves and with our children and both experiences were wonderful. The Currant Restaurant has EXCELLENT food and you're in walking distance of Gaslamp District as well as Seaport Village if you feel like a longer stroll. The staff is wonderful and they will remember your name as well as answer any questions from those annoying tourists like Me. :-)

Cool modern layouts in the rooms, the beds are awesome and the rooms are VERY clean (a must for my wife). Great city views on the South, West and East sides of the hotel. When The Wife and I go back to San Diego in May of this Year, we will be staying at the Sofia.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel has lots of old world charm! The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a great little bar and restaurant attached to the hotel called 'Currants'...and very convenient to having a drink or small plate or dinner. What we loved most is that we could walk to the train station, ferry to Coronado, Little Italy and the Gas Lamp District of downtown San Diego...all having nice outdoor (or in) restaurants with plenty of meal choices! The only real negative issue that we had with the hotel is that the bed was very uncomfortable. We stayed for 5 nights....so maybe someone else only staying a couple of days wouldn't have noticed this as much as we did. One more thing is that the air ventilation was a problem as well...either too warm or too cold.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!