“What more can you want” 5 of 5 stars

The Sofia Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   150 West Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #95 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
London, United Kingdom
“What more can you want”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Excellent location right next to the Gaslamp quarter which is full or restaurants and bars.
People say the walls are too thin but we couldn't hear a thing from another room, maybe we were lucky.
The gym was always empty albeit small, but useable.
Comfy bed, clean room and polite staff all for a good price.
Parking is $30 for the day we paid this 3 times but we knew about it prior to booking the hotel. Advice would be to park it yourself purely because it is a 10 second walk or if you valet a ten minute wait for your car whenever you need it. Don't be lazy.

Room Tip: No pool, didn't try room service.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

After a quick, cheap cab ride from the airport I arrived early and dropped my bags with the bellman. I was able to check in early after lunch. There was a mistake with my reservation & they didn't the room type available that I paid for so they promptly upgraded me to a VIP suite, which was lovely and very comfortable. The staff here really goes above & beyond. Everyone is unbelievably friendly and genuinely helpful at The Sofia, & I felt well cared for during my stay. I also really loved the bedding here, it was very nice to snuggle into & I slept quite well! Another big plus is the location being so walkable. Most importantly, they make you & your pet feel like family at The Sofia & I really appreciated that during my stay!

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here the wk of June 5th, on our first night we couldnt sleep. We were kept awake by the construction for a new restaurant downstairs. Apparently they work at night. Fortunately, when we went to talk with the front desk, they were really nice, moved us to the opposite side of the building and apologized for the inconvenience! The rest of our stay was great. We walked everywhere, Gaslamp,Seaport village, Little Italy. We rented bikes from the concierge. Rooms are small though but it serves its purpose..housekeeping always kept our room clean. Definitely recommend if u wanna stay within walking distance of all the hotspots in SD!

• Stayed June 2013
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Lovely building. The online description is why we choose the location for our business trip. The lobby was inviting and the staff was helpful. I had no problem paying the resort fee, actually thought it was a good value. Fitness center was a pleasant surprise. Our room was functional, yet small for two travelers. I found it interested that the hotel placed the single individuals in our group in larger rooms. Bed and linens average. The only major issue I had was, from 1:30 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. at night there was drilling and banging below us. This continued and we finally called the front desk. The answer was, "sorry" construction is going on in the building, nothing we can do about it." You'd think the hotel would place travelers in rooms where overnight construction wasn't taking place.

Room Tip: Ask for largest room available, non-construction side of building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The reception guy who checked us in couldn't have been less interested if he'd tried. He put us in a room with really bad wifi, sowe complained and they moved us. They obviously knew this room had bad wifi and put us there because we had booked on a last minute hotel website. Very bad. Room was small but clean and fine.location good and central.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paso Robles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

By far and away the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. Ridiculously small! Bathroom had a pocket door and no shower door because there was no room for doors. Barely room to turn around. Worse yet water went everywhere. Sleeping area was so small you can only walk single file between the bed and armoire closet, only being able to move sideways between the two beds and on either side of the queen size beds.
The walls are so thin we could hear the people in the next room turning the light switches off and on. Front desk staff was annoyed by questions about additional fees and very non customer service oriented.
The linens were very nice was the only saving grace.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at this hotel in downtown San Diego. I picked it because the price was almost reasonable and it was in walking distance from the railroad station. I parked my car in Oceanside and took the Coaster to San Diego, which was much cheaper than parking my car at the hotel for the ridiculous fee of $30 per night. The room was well appointed but rather small. The room had an easy chair and ottoman -- which was nice -- but the chair took up all the space between the bed and the window. Also, the closet was not well laid out and was hard to get in and out of. I was most disappointed with the discovery in the morning that they had no breakfast service! Contrast this with hotels that offer free breakfasts both the US, but especially in Europe. Besides the car parking fee, which I did not have to pay, the hotel also hasn't gotten the word and charged an $8 per day "resort fee." The only benefit of the resort fee was the allegedly free coffee in the room. If the fee is mandatory, PUT IT IN THE PRICE!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!