“Great boutique hotel for a weekend stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #97 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Great boutique hotel for a weekend stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was great, it was only a few blocks away from San Diego's gas lamp district. Clean rooms, good service, and comfy beds. You can't beat the deal either - I would recommend this place if you're looking for a quick stay in SD.

• Stayed May 2013

836 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I loved this hotel. Yes the rooms were small, especially the doubles, but we asked to be upgraded to a queen and we were. Some of the views were not good - you looked out at the brick side of a building. But if you're not spending hours in your room, it doesn't much matter. The beds were comfortable, and when I asked for a different pillow, I was given a choice of several.

I enjoyed happy hour at the bar. The bartender was friendly and it was relaxing after a day of sightseeing. We were in San Diego for a wedding and most of the wedding guests stayed at the US Grant hotel. They said their rooms were small as well - and they paid a lot more for them.

The location of this hotel was perfect for walking around the city....short walk to the waterfront and to fifth avenue or anywhere in the Gaslamp District. They have computers and free wifi in the lobby for those not traveling with a laptop or ipad.

There is a coffee shop just to the left of the entrance of the hotel. Perfect for that early morning cup of Joe. We did not eat in the restaurant but it was quite busy most of the time so I assume guests enjoyed it. I would recommend this hotel without a doubt!

Room Tip: The king sized bed rooms almost all face another building (or so I was told) Our room was 726 (a qu...
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Rooms are very small but excellently appointed! Very clean and well done considering the limited space (it's a historic building). Cozy, quaint...nice deviation from the typical hotel. Not many frills, but the basics are very well done. In my opinion, not the place for an extended stay, but a great get away for a nite or two.

Room Tip: I stayed 2wice, both rooms were about the same. I bet there isn't a bad room in the house.
Melville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I recently spent three nights at the Sofia Hotel in San Diego. The room was very small, smaller than the inside rooms on a ship. The closet is in an inconvenient place but there is room for clothing in the chest and cubbies on the side. The room was on the dark side and we couldn't open the drapes because the other rooms were very close. The bathroom was tiny and there was only a half glass wall in the shower so the floors were soaked. The tv reception was very poor. But the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Elevators were small but never crowded.

We were attending a wedding at the US Grant so this was a convenient location. I walked for an hour every morning and it was a little disturbing seeing all the homeless people. They did not bother me for the most part but it made me sad that they did not have facilities for them.

Lovely coffee shop right next door to the hotel. Horton Plaza is within walking distance, it is a large mall with Nordstrom's Starbucks, Chico's etc. Many restaurants and bars are also within walking distance.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Second time to stay in this hotel.This time is for my daughter's college graduation at San Diego State University.I booked 4 rooms for family and 2 dogs.Very convenient location,close to everything.Walking distance to the restaurant Searsucker where we have graduation dinner. They even give treat to dogs.Rooms are small but clean.The only thing i don't like is there's no shower door so the floor get wet.Room service are good.I will come back to this hotel and will recommend to friends.

Tweed Heads
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Generally we enjoyed our stay at the Sofia, on arrival we had a very pleasant and fast reception, the rooms are small but clean and very comfortable, public transport is very handy, and a plethora of restaurants are in easy walking distance.
Our only complaints are we arrived around 9pm after settling in and grabbing a bit to eat, my husband went to have a shower, luckily saw glass glinting in the shower cubicle, so that evening we showered in thongs, there was quite a lot of glass which we picked up but didn't want to chance getting cut feet so subsequently the thongs, the next morning we told the staff at reception about it and the response was they'd let the housekeeping staff know. I don't think it was the appropriate response - I would have thought that we'd receive an apology or a surprised reaction - it literally could have been a major disaster if I'd stepped in without knowing! My only other complaint would be the windows badly needed a clean.
We'd stay again.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is located in the Gaslamp District, so there are literally dozens of restaurants and shops within walking distance. The room was small, as was the toilet/shower area (no tub in our room). But the room was clean, and most of the staff were courteous. The bartender on duty Wednesday, May 8 through Friday, May 10 was excellent (I'm afraid I didn't get his name). I agree with some of the other reviewers about the high cost of parking. They also hand you a print-out at check-in explaining all of the things included with your room. Then upon checkout, they charge a daily fee for these incidentals (wi-fi, bottled water). This kind of put a damper on an otherwise good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!