The Sofia Hotel is my favorite downtown San Diego hotel. I immediately booked my December 2012 stay (two nights) ten months prior(!) to take advantage of an *amazing* discount as part of their 5th year anniversary celebration. I was so pleased!
As a solo traveler who have been to both the Queen and Double Bed room types, the double bed type is ideal for me -- intimate, cozy, comfortable. I honestly could stay in the room throughout my visit just to enjoy the luxuriousness, especially the mattress, beddings, and towels! During this last stay, the TV has been upgraded so I enjoyed watching my favorite stations.
Anyway, the joy in this last stay was the wonderfully decorated lobby of glistening Christmas trees! I suppose part of me hoped they were living trees because I was longing for the scent of fresh pine but no matter; they were still cheerfully festive.
The staff were friendly and pleasant and went out of their way in hospitality. I appreciated that but since I am already familiar with the hotel amenities, fees, and general downtown destinations, I pretty much ventured on my own and they let me be.
The Sofia is home away for me whenever I go to downtown San Diego. Since I take the train from the nearby (approx. 5 blocks away) Santa Fe Depot train station, I usually arrive at the hotel by foot at around 10:30am and every time, a room was always available for me upon check in. This really helped because I could rest a while before exploring the city. This last visit, I was assigned a room on the top floor (7th).
I never tried the Currant Restaurant but perhaps I will at some point.
- Depending on the timing, I would notice conferences being held at the hotel so it could get busy. Also, in past visits, I there were multiple rooms occupied by guests who were in an extremely party-oriented mood so there were evenings of loud and raucous noises. Nothing serious, though, for me to call the front desk. Otherwise, the hotel is nice retreat for quiet relaxation.
- I would like to try the spa service one of these days. The options and prices looked reasonable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of San Diego, The Sofia Hotel offers luxurious accommodations to please every taste. Weather you are traveling for business or pleasure, you will indulge in an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Splendia, Priceline, BookIt.com and getaroom.com so you can book your The Sofia Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofia Hotel San Diego
- Sofia San Diego