“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Ridgefield, WA
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The room I stayed in was small, but was very nice; Spotless and an upscale feel. The towels were so big and soft I wanted to steal one (I didn't). It was nice to have a fridge and a microwave in the room. There was also a coffee maker. The service couldn't have been better. It was about a 20 minute walk to the convention center. Many good restaurants nearby and a grocery store within walking distance. I was able to take a bus from across the street to Balboa Park. Convenient location! The only downside was that although I prepaid for my stay, I was informed when I got there that there would be a service fee of around $8 per night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Sofia was an excellent value and I would definitely stay there again. The location was very convenient to the convention center, gaslamp district, and waterfront. Currant, the hotel restaurant, was a beautiful place to relax and enjoy good food after a long day of walking and sightseeing (check out their daily special "Popcorn of the Moment"). The room was very small but comfortable. Staff was also most helpful. I arrived early in the morning and they were able to get me into my room right away.

I had some "technical difficulties" in the business center - first with the computer and then the printer, but hotel staff saw to it that I got what I needed, ultimately setting me up at the concierge desk to print out my document. My only complaint was regarding the cable service, which spontaneously and frequently cut out throughout my stay. When my friends arrived they has the same issue in their room. I reported this to the front desk, who said he'd send someone up to look at it - and explained there seemed to be some issues since upgrading to flat screen tvs. In any case, it was not fixed and remained an issue for the 7 night duration of my stay. I wasn't there to watch TV so it wasn't a big deal as much as a minor annoyance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We moved out of The LES THAN DESIRABLE W HOTEL into The HOTEL SOFIA and we were SO GLAD to be out of the Miserableand Ugly Room of The W.

The Sofia is much better situated, you don't need a cab fare added to your dinner tab coming and going as it is close to Gaslamp, The Horton Plaza and the other fine hotels of San Diego and the transportation system is very good.

The Sofia has been totally renovated and is beautifully decorated in traditional style. It has a sense of excellence as the furniture is truly fine, beautifully upholstered and arranged in a very comfortable manner. There is a fireplace and it has been made into an intimate and comfortable area to unwind. We arrived just as they were putting the final touches on the Christmas decorastions, which were beautiful. The lobby begged you torelax.

The first person we met was Todd at the concierge desk. He gave us a tour of rooms and we knew we had to move in IMMEDIATELY.. We chose the one bedroom suite as the rooms are smalland they make no bones about it. The rooms are really well decorated and comfortable and we were SO HAPPY to be staying in a hotel that we found inviting, comfortable, well situated,
with a fine restaurant, CURRANT, that WAS OPEN. We enoyed two meals there and were never disappointed. There was an adjacent coffee cafe that made us happy too.,

All the amenities were provided and we didn't have to ask for and NOT RECEIVE anything. We wereso comfortable and the BED WAS FABULOUS with GREAT LINENS and HUGE and BEAUTIFUL SCULPTED TOWELS. One irritation is the sliding glass bathroom door doesn't lock,
it has a tendency to have a minfd of its own. The locking is more about privacy than security.

We truly didn't want to leave. GREAT EVERYTHING, STAFF, DECOR, LOCATION, FOOD and
AMBIANCE!

Room Tip: Take a Room Tour
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and excited to hear that you enjoyed The Sofia, her location, amenities, comfort and service. We will pass along your comments to our Associates and hope that you will be able to return to The Sofia Hotel very soon. Happy Holidays
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Rooms are very small and atmosphere is not suited to families. Also had to join a number of guest having drinks in the hotel lobby as we were not allowed in the hotel bar because it was booked for a private function. When a hotel only has one bar, this is not on.
However location is great, easy walking distance to the San Diego night life centre and would be great for couples without kids.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is in a great location in downtown San Diego. There are many restaurants, bars and shops within easy walking distance. The rooms offer wifi, fridge, and valet parking at $30 a day. I would recommend this hotel for people that are travelling alone or as a couple. The rooms are too small for more than that even though they offer two double beds. The hotel is well priced and the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, AZ, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

By far my favorite hotel in San Diego------a historic building revived----elegant, subdued colors
and furnishings in extremely comfortable rooms.

The hotel is small and has European sensibility. Guest services are excellent.

The small bistro/bar opens onto the downtown San Diego sidewalk and is a lovely, comfortable
place for an excellent lunch or espresso. Given the lovely weather of San Diego it is a pleasure
to linger there with one's Kindle and a light lunch while the light sea freshened breeze floats
through the bistro.

I recommend highly The Sofia Hotel. I have returned several times and have always
enjoyed these solo trips because of the comfort and security of this fine boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is somewhat different----each has been lovely. Remember that this is a restored historic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I can say that my stay at the Sofia was near perfect! It's a quiet, quaint little hotel with old style character and charm. The hotel also has all of the modern amenities that a guest could ask for. The staff was polite, friendly and eager to help with anything that would make your stay more comfortable. The rooms were priced well considering the location and all that the great activities and sights that the area has to offer. I can say that while in San Diego in the future, The Sofia will be my choice hotel. Thanks for such a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Sofia Hotel San Diego as it is through these types of comments that we can improve our level of service. We are delighted that you enjoyed the charm of Sofia, our service and favorable location. The greatest compliment that we can receive is that you would return to stay with us again in the future.

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!