“Great Location, tiny rooms not suitable for more than 2 people” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #98 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Location, tiny rooms not suitable for more than 2 people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is in a great location in downtown San Diego. There are many restaurants, bars and shops within easy walking distance. The rooms offer wifi, fridge, and valet parking at $30 a day. I would recommend this hotel for people that are travelling alone or as a couple. The rooms are too small for more than that even though they offer two double beds. The hotel is well priced and the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

839 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Tucson, AZ, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

By far my favorite hotel in San Diego------a historic building revived----elegant, subdued colors
and furnishings in extremely comfortable rooms.

The hotel is small and has European sensibility. Guest services are excellent.

The small bistro/bar opens onto the downtown San Diego sidewalk and is a lovely, comfortable
place for an excellent lunch or espresso. Given the lovely weather of San Diego it is a pleasure
to linger there with one's Kindle and a light lunch while the light sea freshened breeze floats
through the bistro.

I recommend highly The Sofia Hotel. I have returned several times and have always
enjoyed these solo trips because of the comfort and security of this fine boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is somewhat different----each has been lovely. Remember that this is a restored historic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I can say that my stay at the Sofia was near perfect! It's a quiet, quaint little hotel with old style character and charm. The hotel also has all of the modern amenities that a guest could ask for. The staff was polite, friendly and eager to help with anything that would make your stay more comfortable. The rooms were priced well considering the location and all that the great activities and sights that the area has to offer. I can say that while in San Diego in the future, The Sofia will be my choice hotel. Thanks for such a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Sofia Hotel San Diego as it is through these types of comments that we can improve our level of service. We are delighted that you enjoyed the charm of Sofia, our service and favorable location. The greatest compliment that we can receive is that you would return to stay with us again in the future.
Lincoln, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This grand old hotel is located close to everything we wanted to see. It is within walking distance to The Midway(aircraft carrier), the the Gas Lamp district and Petco Field. The recent renovation is well done and very classy. We stayed in a nice suite on the 5th floor, overlooking Broadway Blvd, so the view was interesting. Our complaint was that the a/c system is one of those that goes on and off all night, making it difficult to sleep. The beds have those Euro type sheet/blankets that are way too thick and warm for us. It seems you always have either not enough, or way too much blanket on you, so we always felt too hot. I wish hotels (not just this one) would bring back the conventional sheets and blankets!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing one of the streets, especially Broadway. The others have alley-like views faci...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. The room was spotlessly clean, comfortably appointed, staff was helpful but not uncomfortably friendly and it was in an excellent location from the convention centre. All was well until my last night. A group of obnoxious, drunk young people were in the next room and the sound proofing in the walls is less than effective. At 4am, I called the front desk and they did take my complaint seriously and someone came up and dealt with the problem. I complained in the morning and they offered to deduct a visitor's tax or something $44+) and were terribly apologetic. So, there you have it....a great place but can be noisy.

Room Tip: choose a room opposite street side, a colleague said street side rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at The Sofia hotel in San Diego on December 1, 2012. I made my booking on Cyber Monday through Splendia, an online booking company for luxury, boutique, and character hotels. As a travel & tourism professional, I'm very particular when it comes to location, design, and experience. I decided to book a room at The Sofia based on it's location and it's status as a historical destination recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation® and Historic Hotels of America®.

I felt the service was average, but I have nothing negative to say about my experience. On the Friday before my reservation I called to confirm my booking and I was pleased to hear I could check-in early free of charge. That was definitely a perk!

The hotel location was great since we were within walking distance to Horton Plaza, the Gaslamp District, and East Village. If I stay at The Sofia again, I'd definitely take advantage of their "Urban Cruiser" bicycles. They offer these bikes to guests free of charge.

I thought the room was very cute! It was small, but it didn't bother us. We had a corner room on the 6th floor with city-side views. Staying in a corner room was nice since we had views and windows on two walls. The room was nice and cozy, it didn't feel like we we're staying at a hotel. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the shower. There was no shower door and it was hard to prevent water from splashing onto the floor.

What I liked Best: I enjoyed staying at historic hotel and I thought the hotel was nicely renovated. It's great to see all the revitalization going on in the West End of San Diego's downtown neighborhood.

What I liked Least: The shower.

Room Tip: Corner Room with City-Side Views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed in Sofia in early August 2012. The location is perfect, everything is close, and parking spot can be easily found in the vicinity of the hotel. Considering the location, it’s very quiet and there’s no noise either by day or by night. The room we were in was small, just right for two. The bathroom was also small, with a shower, and the only thing I found very strange it is that the washbasin was outside the bathroom. I don’t know how this is solved in the other rooms. The staff was very friendly, we were quite late in arrival, but we called them just in case to save us a room and it was no problem. They also offered to help us and advise us any way they can to make our stay delightful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Sofia Hotel and it was great reading the positive comments about our favorable location downtown and courteous service. Our hope is that you have an opportunity to return to San Diego and The Sofia Hotel

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!