“Liked everything about it!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #98 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Hancock
“Liked everything about it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Booked through hotel's site directly and signed up to be " friends" of the Sofia" to receive announcements of offers, etc. At that time I read all of the reviews so I knew what to expect. Almost every review grades lower because of small room size, so this was not a surprise. I selected the smallest,least expensive room for 5 nights. When I checked in (4hrs early) I requested a room with a lot of natural light. Mary Ann was very friendly and she found me a front facing corner room so I had windows on two walls and was upgraded from a double bed room to a queen for bit less than I would have paid for the double. The room was clean. Yes water sprays out of the shower but it isn't much of a problem if you use your bathmat. The shower was roomy and had good spray. The bed and bedding were very comfortable. Closet was adequate. Large flat screened tv. The lobby was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. I had no trouble printing my boarding passes in the business center near the lobby. I peaked into the yoga place and people were using it. I received great directions and advice from desk staff and concierge. The mini fridge was great to keep the complimentary water bottles cold and i ended up heating up some delicious leftovers in the little microwave. I am a woman who stayed alone while attending a conference at the San Diego convention center. It was a pretty easy 15-20 min walk each way. Even as a single woman after dArk I felt safe walking the downtown and gas lamp areas because there were so many people around and many businesses still open. Some other reviewers said there were a lot of homeless--yes you'll see some, but my last conference was in San Francisco, and there are a lot more there--and sf's homeless approach you a lot more. Good shopping and eating very close by. The hotels own restaurant, Currant, (see separate review) definitely deserves your visit--ate here three times during my stay which is not something I usually do. The only very minor complaint was that after the first night, my in-room coffee was replaced as all decaf coffee. When I saw a maid later and asked for some regular, I was told the entire hotel was out of regular--and this remained true for the rest of my stay. A lovely coffee shop is just a few steps out of the lobby, but as someone who normally drinks a lot of coffee, it would have been nice to have some type of coupon or voucher for those of us who counted on in-room coffee as an amenity. However, I loved the cozy room (might have been less comfy if traveling with another person). Loved the lobby, the historical features of the building, the bed, location, and pretty much everything! Would definitely stay again. PS: I heard several people complaining about the cost to valet your car. There are cheaper public lots around for self valet. Also, I think it would have been a hassle to drive in the city. The city is very walkable and there are busses and cabs everywhere.

• Stayed November 2012

841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Anchorage
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The renovated hotel is nice, but located very near the JAIL, bail bondsmen, etc. Extra costs: $30/day valet (plus tip) - cheapest choice for parking. Also mandatory $8 at checkout for amenities fee (2 bottles of water). Not coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Escondido, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We bought a groupon for this hotel and used it to go to the Halloween party in the Gaslamp. We had a queen bed suite. It had a sitting room. It was a little small but big enough for our needs. The bathtub was not a full soak tub and our bedroom windows looked out onto brick. The sitting room windows were nice and large though and looked out onto the street. I read some reviews about the hotel being noisy, but it was completely quiet for us. The tv's were tiny (and not flatscreen) compared to what we have got in other hotels, but we didn't come to the room to watch tv. All in all I enjoyed our stay and thought we got a good deal. We also ate in the bar/restaurant and their buffalo burger was fabulous!

Room Tip: I liked the corner suite because it had big windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Sofia and we were glad to hear that you were able to use an advertised deal to go to the Halloween Bash in the Gaslamp downtown. The installation of new 42" televisions in all of our guest rooms is underway and should be completed soon. We also agree that the Bison Burger at Currant is fantastic . Hope to see you again soon
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

An excellent hotel if one is downtown San Diego, wants to be near the Gaslight district and the trolley line, and wants something other than the cookie cutter chain operations. Our room was small but had a large bathroom. Excellent bed, soaps, linen, towels were provided. However, the best attribute was the staff. Front desk and concierge was friendly and extremely helpful. Made recommendations for places to go, how to get there and generally acted like they wanted us to have a good time and enjoy their city.

Next time in San Diego, we're staying there.

Room Tip: Rooms on Broadway can be a little noisy. If you want dead quiet ask for the rooms away from that st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I picked The Sofia largely on the reviews found here. Overall it didn't disappoint! The rooms were clean and very well appointed-interent was great and I loved the bottled water that was replaced every day. Yes the room was small but for the amount of time spent there it wasn't an issue. Our room was dark as we had a massive brick wall facing us through the window. I can't remember our room number but you can ask when checking in what outlook you have from the window. If you are at all clastrophobic then some of the rooms at the Sofia may be an issue for you.
The location was great and they offer a free walking tour which I highly recommend. They also offer free use of bikes.
When I selected The Sofia we didn't think we would still have a car but as it turns out we did and so the parking is very pricey.Had I know we'd still have the car at this point of our trip, I wouldn't have selected The Sofia. We let the valet park the car and we didn't take it out the 4 days we spent there! We didn't need to because of the hotel's proximity to everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed 1 night in a King suite room. Our room was on the second floor and was medium sized for a suite and had modern vanity and clean furnishing. The sofa was a pull out bed as well. I was told that the regular rooms were tiny so we made sure to get a King suite since we had 4 kids in our party. The phone was not working but was fixed quickly after I told them about it. We liked the location since it was in the middle of downtown and close to Gaslamp district. The concierge was very friendly and offered free bike rentals. We took the bikes out early morning and rode along the marina sidewalk. We really enjoyed the amenities and found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal, opt for the King suite. It is much roomier and worth the $ if you have more...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a cery good hotel actually. It is in a newly decorated hosgorical building. Very good location in Downtown, just 2 minutes walking to historical GasLamp area. You can even walk to the port for the Coronado Island ferries.

Free bicycles at 7am in the morning.

Free Tour og GasLamp (Historical Area) every weekend.

Clean rooms, very good concierge.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!