“The hotel was great!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Escondido, California
“The hotel was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We bought a groupon for this hotel and used it to go to the Halloween party in the Gaslamp. We had a queen bed suite. It had a sitting room. It was a little small but big enough for our needs. The bathtub was not a full soak tub and our bedroom windows looked out onto brick. The sitting room windows were nice and large though and looked out onto the street. I read some reviews about the hotel being noisy, but it was completely quiet for us. The tv's were tiny (and not flatscreen) compared to what we have got in other hotels, but we didn't come to the room to watch tv. All in all I enjoyed our stay and thought we got a good deal. We also ate in the bar/restaurant and their buffalo burger was fabulous!

Room Tip: I liked the corner suite because it had big windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Sofia and we were glad to hear that you were able to use an advertised deal to go to the Halloween Bash in the Gaslamp downtown. The installation of new 42" televisions in all of our guest rooms is underway and should be completed soon. We also agree that the Bison Burger at Currant is fantastic . Hope to see you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

An excellent hotel if one is downtown San Diego, wants to be near the Gaslight district and the trolley line, and wants something other than the cookie cutter chain operations. Our room was small but had a large bathroom. Excellent bed, soaps, linen, towels were provided. However, the best attribute was the staff. Front desk and concierge was friendly and extremely helpful. Made recommendations for places to go, how to get there and generally acted like they wanted us to have a good time and enjoy their city.

Next time in San Diego, we're staying there.

Room Tip: Rooms on Broadway can be a little noisy. If you want dead quiet ask for the rooms away from that st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I picked The Sofia largely on the reviews found here. Overall it didn't disappoint! The rooms were clean and very well appointed-interent was great and I loved the bottled water that was replaced every day. Yes the room was small but for the amount of time spent there it wasn't an issue. Our room was dark as we had a massive brick wall facing us through the window. I can't remember our room number but you can ask when checking in what outlook you have from the window. If you are at all clastrophobic then some of the rooms at the Sofia may be an issue for you.
The location was great and they offer a free walking tour which I highly recommend. They also offer free use of bikes.
When I selected The Sofia we didn't think we would still have a car but as it turns out we did and so the parking is very pricey.Had I know we'd still have the car at this point of our trip, I wouldn't have selected The Sofia. We let the valet park the car and we didn't take it out the 4 days we spent there! We didn't need to because of the hotel's proximity to everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed 1 night in a King suite room. Our room was on the second floor and was medium sized for a suite and had modern vanity and clean furnishing. The sofa was a pull out bed as well. I was told that the regular rooms were tiny so we made sure to get a King suite since we had 4 kids in our party. The phone was not working but was fixed quickly after I told them about it. We liked the location since it was in the middle of downtown and close to Gaslamp district. The concierge was very friendly and offered free bike rentals. We took the bikes out early morning and rode along the marina sidewalk. We really enjoyed the amenities and found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal, opt for the King suite. It is much roomier and worth the $ if you have more...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a cery good hotel actually. It is in a newly decorated hosgorical building. Very good location in Downtown, just 2 minutes walking to historical GasLamp area. You can even walk to the port for the Coronado Island ferries.

Free bicycles at 7am in the morning.

Free Tour og GasLamp (Historical Area) every weekend.

Clean rooms, very good concierge.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I loved The Sofia. Friendly service, great location, excellent facilities.I had a very stylish room, a lot is said about the rooms here being small and a bit dark but I found no prombles with either,. Easy walk to the Lamplight Quarter, a lively section with lots of excellent restaurants. The only slight glitch was an IT problem which ment no room charges from the Bar and Resturant but Im sure that will be addressed

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fresno, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I used a Living Social deal, so I wasn't put off by the small size room. It was reasonable for the price I paid. It's an older hotel that has been renovated. They don't have room service, but stores are nearby. Therefore, I didn't have much to complain about since I liked walking around.

My hotel experience was decent until my 6-year-old daughter found a "candy" condom wrapper in the room. She brought me a wrapper she found after pulling out a foot rest. She even asked me what a candy condom was. I don't even know where to begin about that. It was upsetting, appalling and disgusting. I will never go back again! I understand that people have sex in hotels; however, I kept thinking if the hotel staff didn't get a simple wrapper under a foot stool, what more for my bed? I will absolutely never go back.

Room Tip: Don't...it's dirty.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family