“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
sydney
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I picked The Sofia largely on the reviews found here. Overall it didn't disappoint! The rooms were clean and very well appointed-interent was great and I loved the bottled water that was replaced every day. Yes the room was small but for the amount of time spent there it wasn't an issue. Our room was dark as we had a massive brick wall facing us through the window. I can't remember our room number but you can ask when checking in what outlook you have from the window. If you are at all clastrophobic then some of the rooms at the Sofia may be an issue for you.
The location was great and they offer a free walking tour which I highly recommend. They also offer free use of bikes.
When I selected The Sofia we didn't think we would still have a car but as it turns out we did and so the parking is very pricey.Had I know we'd still have the car at this point of our trip, I wouldn't have selected The Sofia. We let the valet park the car and we didn't take it out the 4 days we spent there! We didn't need to because of the hotel's proximity to everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed 1 night in a King suite room. Our room was on the second floor and was medium sized for a suite and had modern vanity and clean furnishing. The sofa was a pull out bed as well. I was told that the regular rooms were tiny so we made sure to get a King suite since we had 4 kids in our party. The phone was not working but was fixed quickly after I told them about it. We liked the location since it was in the middle of downtown and close to Gaslamp district. The concierge was very friendly and offered free bike rentals. We took the bikes out early morning and rode along the marina sidewalk. We really enjoyed the amenities and found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal, opt for the King suite. It is much roomier and worth the $ if you have more...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a cery good hotel actually. It is in a newly decorated hosgorical building. Very good location in Downtown, just 2 minutes walking to historical GasLamp area. You can even walk to the port for the Coronado Island ferries.

Free bicycles at 7am in the morning.

Free Tour og GasLamp (Historical Area) every weekend.

Clean rooms, very good concierge.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I loved The Sofia. Friendly service, great location, excellent facilities.I had a very stylish room, a lot is said about the rooms here being small and a bit dark but I found no prombles with either,. Easy walk to the Lamplight Quarter, a lively section with lots of excellent restaurants. The only slight glitch was an IT problem which ment no room charges from the Bar and Resturant but Im sure that will be addressed

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fresno, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I used a Living Social deal, so I wasn't put off by the small size room. It was reasonable for the price I paid. It's an older hotel that has been renovated. They don't have room service, but stores are nearby. Therefore, I didn't have much to complain about since I liked walking around.

My hotel experience was decent until my 6-year-old daughter found a "candy" condom wrapper in the room. She brought me a wrapper she found after pulling out a foot rest. She even asked me what a candy condom was. I don't even know where to begin about that. It was upsetting, appalling and disgusting. I will never go back again! I understand that people have sex in hotels; however, I kept thinking if the hotel staff didn't get a simple wrapper under a foot stool, what more for my bed? I will absolutely never go back.

Room Tip: Don't...it's dirty.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elkins, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Sofia while attending a conference at a more modern hotel up the street a couple of blocks. The modern place was plenty glitzy, but I was always happy to return to the Sofia with its helpful staff and warmth. If you like hotels with age, personality, and style, you will like the Sofia; if you like new glitzy places filled with shiney objects, you will probably be dissapointed.

As others have noted, my room could have been larger and brighter, but it served me well; it was clean, organized, comfortable, and well supplied with ammenities . When I had TV problems one evening, Jesus was on the spot within moments to take care of things courteously and promptly; the desk staff answers every question the same way. Some of the public areas could stand a little freshening (carpets, for example, in the entries), but the room was spotless and modern.

The Sofia has a very European feel about it, and I like that unique charm and style.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

When looking for a hotel what is the more important size of room or location, I would say location. This hotel has a great location walking distance to the Gaslamp district and 5th Avenue. Unfortunately the rooms are a little small but they are functional and modern. The staff was very helpful and the valet service was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!