“Great service, convenietly located, best to get a suite if you desire more room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sofia Hotel

30% off room rate
Ranked #97 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed 1 night in a King suite room. Our room was on the second floor and was medium sized for a suite and had modern vanity and clean furnishing. The sofa was a pull out bed as well. I was told that the regular rooms were tiny so we made sure to get a King suite since we had 4 kids in our party. The phone was not working but was fixed quickly after I told them about it. We liked the location since it was in the middle of downtown and close to Gaslamp district. The concierge was very friendly and offered free bike rentals. We took the bikes out early morning and rode along the marina sidewalk. We really enjoyed the amenities and found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal, opt for the King suite. It is much roomier and worth the $ if you have more...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a cery good hotel actually. It is in a newly decorated hosgorical building. Very good location in Downtown, just 2 minutes walking to historical GasLamp area. You can even walk to the port for the Coronado Island ferries.

Free bicycles at 7am in the morning.

Free Tour og GasLamp (Historical Area) every weekend.

Clean rooms, very good concierge.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I loved The Sofia. Friendly service, great location, excellent facilities.I had a very stylish room, a lot is said about the rooms here being small and a bit dark but I found no prombles with either,. Easy walk to the Lamplight Quarter, a lively section with lots of excellent restaurants. The only slight glitch was an IT problem which ment no room charges from the Bar and Resturant but Im sure that will be addressed

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fresno, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I used a Living Social deal, so I wasn't put off by the small size room. It was reasonable for the price I paid. It's an older hotel that has been renovated. They don't have room service, but stores are nearby. Therefore, I didn't have much to complain about since I liked walking around.

My hotel experience was decent until my 6-year-old daughter found a "candy" condom wrapper in the room. She brought me a wrapper she found after pulling out a foot rest. She even asked me what a candy condom was. I don't even know where to begin about that. It was upsetting, appalling and disgusting. I will never go back again! I understand that people have sex in hotels; however, I kept thinking if the hotel staff didn't get a simple wrapper under a foot stool, what more for my bed? I will absolutely never go back.

Room Tip: Don't...it's dirty.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elkins, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Sofia while attending a conference at a more modern hotel up the street a couple of blocks. The modern place was plenty glitzy, but I was always happy to return to the Sofia with its helpful staff and warmth. If you like hotels with age, personality, and style, you will like the Sofia; if you like new glitzy places filled with shiney objects, you will probably be dissapointed.

As others have noted, my room could have been larger and brighter, but it served me well; it was clean, organized, comfortable, and well supplied with ammenities . When I had TV problems one evening, Jesus was on the spot within moments to take care of things courteously and promptly; the desk staff answers every question the same way. Some of the public areas could stand a little freshening (carpets, for example, in the entries), but the room was spotless and modern.

The Sofia has a very European feel about it, and I like that unique charm and style.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

When looking for a hotel what is the more important size of room or location, I would say location. This hotel has a great location walking distance to the Gaslamp district and 5th Avenue. Unfortunately the rooms are a little small but they are functional and modern. The staff was very helpful and the valet service was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My BF and I spent 7 nights here winding down our tour of america. Staff were very helpful, friendly and informative. The business centre is free to use and there are computers with free Internet and free printing. You pay a fee of about $8 a day which gets you access to the business centre, gym, yoga studio, bikes, 2 bottles of water a day etc. Hotel was well priced for it's features, this is the first place in America that we stayed at that had a fridge and microwave!!! The restaurant is great, with fantastic happy hour food and drink specials, and 10% off with a valet ticket! It is well situated and close to everything. We hired a car and it took us less than 15mins to get everywhere. The only downfall was that we seemed to be given less towels every few days. We'd have one less hand towel or face washer which was odd. My only complaint would be the fact that they don't have the history channel which I fell in love with in NY. Would defiantly stay here again. Don't be deterred by comments of homeless people near by, from our experience they are everywhere in San Diego for some reason.

AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you Cassie O for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Staying with us for 7 nights certainly gave you insight into The Sofia Hotel and it was great reading that our staff was courteous and helpful throughout your stay. Currant American Brasserie does offer fantastic dining options and twice daily Happy Hour. Wonderful suggestion about adding the History Channel to our free-to-guest television lineup which already includes channels like HBO and ESPN.

Been to The Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!