“Good Food, Great Service, Nice Decor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Pearl Kitchen - CLOSED

Red Pearl Kitchen
440 J St, San Diego, CA 92101-6980 (Downtown)
619-231-1100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: San Diego Trolley - Orange Line. Exit at Gaslamp Quarter Station. Proceed north on 5th Avenue. Turn left on J Street. We are on the north side of the street. Look for the Big Red Chair!
New London, Connecticut, United States
“Good Food, Great Service, Nice Decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at the Red Pearl Kitchen, an Asian restaurant, on November 19, 2012. We had a reservation. We showed up on time and were promptly seated. The restaurant is nicely decorated and very cozy. The menu consists of appetizers and entrees, both of which are served family style. My favorite appetizer is the chicken wings with cilantro, and my favorite entree is the cashew chicken, both of which I strongly recommend. The wait staff is very friendly, and the service is very fast, a key selling point of the restaurant. If you are looking for Asian food, the Red Pearl Kitchen is a outstanding dinner option.

• Visited November 2012

San Diego, California
“Did Not Feel Welcome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I called the restaurant to make a reservation for dinner with a couple of my coworkers who were in San Diego. I made the reservation without any issue. We showed up on time only to be told we needed to finish our meals within an hour and 15 minutes. That did not set the appropriate tone for us. We had hoped for a meal to discuss some business matters and not checking our watches to ensure we were on time for the people who seemingly were more important than we were made to feel.

The food was very good and the server staff was attentive.

Recommendation: If you know you are going to have to give the bum's rush to customers who make a reservation, maybe you want to let them know over the phone so they can make an educated decision on whether this is the right place to have dinner.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I ordered the pistachio crusted Ahi Tuna with plum sauce which was excellent. Very friendly people and atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
NY/Westport/Provence
“Best Asian Fusion in a Year !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Forget the Slanted Door in SF, China Doll in Sydney and all the others in Seattle and Vancouver. This little gem shocked me as I did not expect the sort if top gastronomic meal that I heartily enjoyed... So much so that I over indulged and I am on the way to the gym. Great cool yet cozy atmosphere with a good buzz but not too loud. As I was one person they have these comfy booths where you can sit looking out at the comings and goings and it is very relaxing The servers ... I mean every single person there are beyond warm and very good at what they do. My waitress ( darn ... Her name .... Well she was a soccer player :) ) was amazing. Tranquil yet totally focused on my meal. Giving suggestions... Good suggestions! I had to try two of the appetizers as they looked great. For seafood lovers.. There are many great choices but I went wil for the chicken pit stickers with greens and dipping sauces and the spring rolls. I wanted easy or I would have gotten the 'Mongolian steak' that js a house specialty. Chicken with tons of exotic vegetables , cashews and an amazing ginger sauce was the BEST ever had. It was a great all around dining experience
Go!

“Pointless”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Monday evening - restaurant half empty, but lacking atmosphere anyway. Food was not good at all and service was sloppy as we even were assumed to eat from the pan for lack of plates. Fried calamari was just that, no taste at all.

No point in choosing this restaurant if in San Diego.