“not bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #79 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
los angeles
“not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

stayed here for two nights while attending a conference at the coronado. went on priceline and got a decent deal. check in was quick and front desk staff was friendly (offered water or glass of wine upon arrival). Also had refreshments and pastries at the front desk. Rooms were small but had all the amenities and very modern in design. bed was comfortable. some of the snack bar items were complimentary (water, soda, juice, chips). free internet.

the bad: their night club IVY (at the top floor) opens on Thursdays and through the weekends I believe--we were in room 402 and the noise was really distracting, and likely inappropriate if you had children with you as you can actually hear people screaming profanity at times. The party lasts till about 2am so you might be kept up until then--not a problem if you were out partying yourself I guess. Although close to the gaslamp district, the hotel is next to the salvation army, so the number of homeless folks that you see can ruin the atmosphere that the hotel tries to create. parking is $30 a night, but you can find parking at the meters. We parked at a nearby parking lot (on 7th and E) for $5 overnight (until 6am, but the attendant was nice enough to extend it to 7:30am for us. We were told we can park until 12noon for $10). If you park at the meters, make sure to look at the sign on the meter as to when street cleaning will take place (some will say tues/thurs/sat, others mon/wed/friday from 3-6am). If you park at the meters during street cleaning, you can get a ticket.

Overall, not a bad short stay--it is comfortable enough but not very suitable for families or people who need to rest early--especially during nights when the night club is open. Shop around if you are going with kids or if you're taking a business trip.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Hotel lost our reservation, staff were rude, room was small, room was noisy, expensive for what it was, pool noisy (with very loud sports people who thought they ruled the world - and the staff allowed them to believe they did!)
This hotel, from their own reviews to the staff on duty, thought they were larger than the client. They think that because they rate themselves as "boutique" they can be rude and dismissive.
Having stayed at many a 5 star hotels all over the world, I think I am able to distinguish the difference between boutique and not worth the stay!

Newark, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have stayed here when it was still called Ivy Hotel. It's a big party house. With clubs on the ground floor and roof top. If you are not a party person, do not stay here. I wouldn't stay here with kids either. Too much sexy in this place. Sexy people all over the place. If you are a partier but want some kind of peace and quiet then request a room in the middle floor and outter room. My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary and they had our room ready with a complinentary bottle of the bubbly. They even upgraded our room. I don't know how the owners do it now but reading the review it seems like it still the same. And it's in the heart of the Gas Lamp District. We were treated very well and they always acted professional. If you talk a little slang to them they still with their professional attitude even though you know outside of work they are just ordinary cool cats. I recommended this place to my sister and her and her hubby loved that place. My co-worker stayed her during the Rock N Roll marathon and she loved the place too. And she's not much a partier either. Downside about this place the prices went up on this place. I'll come back to this place if I can afford it. I love Daygo!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I love this hotel.

I love the staff, the rooms, the restaurant - everything about it. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I had the pleasure of staying at Andaz with my boyfriend. It's a fun, hip hotel in the middle of Gaslamp. Great central location. The club was awesome - the food at Quarter Kitchen was delish - everyone who helped us was courteous and lovely.

Great job, Andaz. We'll be seeing you again real soon!

Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

This hotel is great for someone looking for an upscale, clean
place to party and sleep. It is literally across the street and overlooking the Salvation Army homeless shelter with an overflow of homeless people left on the streets. The majority of the rest of
the rooms overlook a brick wall and air conditioning systems courtyard.

The valet guys are GREAT! And they have a free Escalade service to take you around town. The front desk people also go out of their way for you and are great. Food is awesome! The housekeeping people are also great. Those are the positives for sure.

The "queen" rooms are VERY tiny with no place to put your extra bathroom items and absolutely no drawers. Just a very small closet. The "king" rooms are substantially better, just a terrible view. Had to keep the curtains closed. I noticed all the rest of the inside rooms did as well.

If you're looking for a place to crash, this place is great. If you want a room with a view, a spa to relax at, or sunshine in your room - look elsewhere. This hotel doesn't have it.

I overpaid for a long 5 day stay.

• Stayed August 2010
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My stay was absolutely AMAZING!!! From the moment we arrived we were greeted by the most wonderful, nice valet staff. Even though they were extremely busy when we arrived, they did not hesitate to hurry and help us out of our vehicle. We walked in to the hotel lobby and were greeted by even more nice front desk staff. The gentleman did not hesitate to ask us if we needed a drink or some water while he quickly checked us in. The check in process took only about 5 minutes and we were quickly on our way to see our room. I walked in to our suite and was absolutely amazed. The room is decorated so nice and the big screen TVs in the living room and bedroom are fantastic. I was greeted by a bouquet of balloons and cupcakes when we walked in for my birthday weekend. Little did I know I would be engaged by the end of the night.

On Thursday night the roof top club opens up and when I returned from dinner that night we were greeted by the most wonderful dressed security staff. We were greeted at the front door, at the elevator entrance and to my surprise even one in the elevator. Even though we did not attend the club that night and we could hear the music some what from our room, it wasn't unbearable and too much. We fell asleep like babies in our comfortable bed. I honestly did not hear the music once I closed my eyes.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Right in downtown in the middle of everything. I had Starbucks just a few steps away and several locations to choose from for dinner just one block away.

I was very sad to leave and wished I could have stayed just another night. I recommend anyone to go a stay there and enjoy it as much as we did.

Vacaville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

The Andaz is by far the "coolest" hotel my fiance and I have stayed at, from the posh decor to the stylish staff, everything is done to the nines here. We stayed on the suite level, so I think we avoided a lot of the noise other commenters have mentioned. Our room was exquisite, the bed was comfy, there was free wi-fi, the mini bar was loaded (with a bunch of complimentary items too!), the bathroom was clean and had really nice shampoos and lotions.
The hotel is in a great location in the gaslamp district and is within walking distance of a lot of nice restaurants and attractions. The hotel even has an Escalade service that will drive you to and pick you up from wherever you need to go! Even if you don't know what to do, the friendly front desk staff have a ton of suggestions.
The great service and thoughtful amenities really put our stay here over the top.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!