“Terrible Customer Service, uncomfortable rooms, disappointing general manager!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #79 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I booked through Hotwire. I accidentally booked the wrong nights and the assistant manager with hotwire on the phone agreed to a reduced rate for 2 nights. The Andaz still received my hotwire payment and we agreed I would pay the difference since it was my mistake. I reiterated with the assistant manager I was traveling on business and needed to stay within a specific rate. Thought everything was OK since 2 colleagues recieved hotwire rates even much lower. Instead I was hassled and basically told I was a liar about the agreed upon rate by the general manager. On my second day I was contacted to leave the hotel 3 times. I explained I booked for 2 nights and confirmed again my rate.

Upon leaving the general manager looked at the note about my rate, noticed the exact agreed upon amount I mentioned yet INSISTED there was a mistake. I told him I was responsible for the amount above my already paid hotwire and he said the assistant manager who was not there should not have provided my lower rate. He then proceeded to bill me over $100 ABOVE the rate HE SAW IN THE COMPUTER SYSTEM. When I approached him about this twice he said the assistant manager was not there and that until he figured out why I received such a low rate he would be forced to charge my credit card. I mentioned again my two colleagues actually stayed through hotwire for a rate even lower and that I was willing to pay more just not the $100 more he was trying to charge me. I also mentioned hotwire was on the phone to confirm and he even has a note in system with the agreed upon rate. He said it is "complicated" because the manager should not have had the authority to do this. Essentially after the second time I stated it is an internal problem with the hotel and that he was essentially saying he did not believe the other managers note. His response was that he would not bill my credit card until later that day and confirm with the manager. So when I left I was charged over $100 above what was agreed and he wasted over 30 minutes of my time trying to explain this. I had an afternoon business meeting and left without continuing to argue since it was clear he was going to charge my card anyway.

Terrible customer service. In addition the hotel was not that great. The bathroom is weird and the shower points straight at your face so I basically had to duck to wash my hair. The entire hotel is very snooty. On the first night at the supposed "hot spot" rooftop bar the bartender told us the next night would be "off" and the greatest place in San Diego and there would be a line, but since we were in the hotel we would be good with wristbands. Well good thing we had wristbands for the lame 25 person scene the next night. When we asked him he was like, well come back on the weekend sorry! The entire hotel is run by rude want to be black suit wearing wannabe New York nightclub bouncers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, May 5, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent visit to Andaz San Diego. I am terribly sorry for your disappointing experience at our hotel. At Andaz we strive to exceed guests expectations and clearly this was not the case for you. You apparently spoke with our Front Office management team, not myself. I hope to welcome you back so that we can provide a more accurate Andaz experience. Please contact my office should you wish to make a reservation.
Rusty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my husband and my 11 month old son. The hotel is in a great location, easy walk to many destinations. Nightly parking was $30, a little pricey. The hotel is very trendy, rooms are super clean, bed was very comfortable.

The negative was that we were given a room off of the atrium where the music/nightclub started at 9 pm and went until 1:30am. It was very loud...I couldn't get my son to sleep with the noise. I called the front desk and they said they were sold out and could not move us. Also, the room we were given had a see thru bathroom. the wall to the bathroom was glass, so when either of us went to the bathroom or shower...it was seen by the other. My son is young so he didn't get it...but toddler or older kids...I wouldnt have been happy about it.
If you are single and want to party this is the place for you, but for a family..I'd say check out other hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with colleagues for a conference and my boss booked three rooms for five people on hotwire for something like $90/room/night. Considering the going rate was about three times that amount, we got a very good deal. We were pleasantly surprised when the rooms did not have glass walls around the bathroom. All three of our rooms were king beds for five colleagues, so sharing beds was enough for us. I agree with many of the other reviews about the service, noise, rooms, etc. One thing that is very impressive is the amount of things that are "complimentary." There are two computers in the lobby for you to check email and there is free wireless throughout the property. They have a happy hour with wine from 5pm to 6pm. There is coffee and pastries in the morning. About half of the things in the minibar in the room are complimentary including water, juice, candy, and snacks. The minibar even has an erotic kit thing. I can only imagine what is in it. The toiletries in the bathroom were excellent and there were lots of little packets of creams and lotions that smelled really nice. Of course the only drawback was the noise from the club downstairs. The rooftop party space was closed because of the rain. Since we hotwired the rooms we were given low, third floor inside rooms all around the small atrium that opens to the club. I had ear plugs in and the music was still loud. I didn't fall asleep until the music stopped around 2:00am I think. I certainly wouldn't pay the going rate to stay at this place again and if I did I would make sure that it was indeed a quiet room. If you have a car, be prepared to pay $30/day for valet. There is no self-parking.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I got this hotel when booking on Hotwire. At first I was nervous about this choice, primarily because of the reveiws about the noise. But, of course, there are no refunds so I was on my way!
OK so I stayed on sat and sunday night. I asked for a "quiet" room and I woke up a few times on Sat night due to noise. It was not too bad but not quite quiet and it did not ruin my whole night's sleep. However, Sunday night I slept great! If you plan on staying in Thurs-Sat night and not partaking in the party atmosphere in san diego, truthfully I would stay away from a lot of the hotels in Gaslamp. It is full of city noises and booming bass...not for the light sleeper. Ask for a quieter room, bring earplugs, use the ipod dock for soft background noise, or a sleeping pill to combat the noise if needed - but it was not awful - the bed was super comfy so it made up for it!
Another word of warning you may have heard - the room's bathroom (except toilet) is open for full view from the bed, chairs,etc. The wall is made out of glass. It was fine for me since I was there by myself. And it would be cool with a partner. But if you are planning to travel with just a friend, it would be uncomfortable - you will see your friend's everything - haha!
On the other hand - everything else is outstanding. complimentry treats from the mini-bar. Luxe Korres bath products. Glam rooftop pool, excellent drinks. Great, quick, understanding service...everything else is fantastic!
Sunday - Wed would not hesitate to stay here one bit.
Thurs-Sat night - some may want to think twice due to noise - but it did not ruin my stay at all...in fact it was quite great!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
LA CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Just got back from a 3 day stay at the San Diego Andaz Hotel. Since we had never been to the Gaslamp District and did not have a hotel preference, we decided to try the Hotwire Service which allows you to pick a hotel rating but not a hotel. The rub is that you get a great value, but cannot select the hotel other than location and quality, however, once you select (and pay) you cannot rescind your offer. When I plugged in my 4.5 star request and saw that we were booked at the Andaz, I was a bit dismayed. Afterall, the customer rating and the reviews were mixed.
I can now say that this was definitely a 4 (or 4.5) star experience and not just because I got a great deal. I would say that even at $200-250 per night it would have been worth it. Why? Great service, location and staff. The little freebies (snacks, sodas, water, internet and the friendly free upgrade we received on our second room). And, the incredible rooftop pool and bar. What doesn't work? The standard rooms are exceptionally small and the winebar is dark and uninviting unless you are on a date.
One final comment: We were there at the beginning of the week when the nightclub is closed. Most of the negative comments are relating to the lack of sleep due to the booming nightclub music. That may be the case, but at least you are forewarned.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We had spent a week at the Del and moved to the Ivy for the last night before flying out to Mexico. We thought what a beautiful, modern hotel. Loved the bathrooms, etc. Until the music started. It was like your bed was on the dance floor, even with ear plugs there was no hope of sleep. The bass pounding interfered with your heart beat. I wish I had check Tripadvisor first!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed here a Saturday-Monday a few weeks ago and I really had a great time at this hotel. There is some high and low points to this hotel and I can see it will not be for everyone, but I wanted to share my experience.

STAFF: My girlfriend and I pulled up to the valet and were instantly greeted by a friendly attendant. Check in was a breeze: The staff noticed I was a Gold Hyatt Member and offered me a complimentary 2p check out (I didn't end up using it, but was quite happy with the offer). The staff escorted us up to our room and gave us all the instructions on using their complimentary Cadillac Escalade service and setting up a time for us to pick up our VIP passes for the club (included with the room). We ended up taking up the offer on the Cadillac service to and from a restaurant in down town and had great drivers that saved us the hassle of walking or cabbing, well worth giving them a tip!

Location: The hotel is right in the heart of Gas Lamp. Tons of great restaurants, pubs and nightlife to get yourself into. We did end up at the roof top club of the hotel. It was a great time, but the drink prices were RIDICULOUS. A mixed cocktail (Crown & Coke) is around 12-15 bucks so most of our drinking happened before the club. However, if you are here to party on a Friday/Saturday night, it is well worth checking it out.

Room: I was not a big fan of the room. We were in an Andaz Queen and it was real cramped (see pictures). The bathroom was also real compact and for some reason there was an open hole towel holder on the glass of the shower. This caused the whole bathroom to get full of water whenever we used the shower. I'm not sure about the other rooms, but I would probably consider trying to upgrade to a King if I stayed here again.

Surprisingly, I did not here any noise like other reviewers from the night club. I think it all depends on where you are located in the hotel and we were on the 3rd floor. The room did come with some complimentary soft drinks and bath robes in the closet.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends or another couple, but would not recommend it for my parents or a business traveler.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!