“Great hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #77 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Great hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great central location, clean rooms, great shower, helpful staff at the front desk. The upstairs patio restaurant and pool are also wonderful with very friendly staff. The pool is smaller than the pictures on the website, but still quite reasonable for a pool-side drink/quick dip. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is chic, modern, and has a new feel in what is an old recycled building. The bed was super cozy, and service at the hotel was tremendous. The downside to the hotel is that the rooms are even remotely sound proofed. All night long I heard cars going down the street, I could hear late night revelers on the street below, and then very early in the morning construction crews who were working on the block. Additionally, I could every door that opened in the hallway, I could easily hear people coming down the hall and talking as well as the maids. Granted, they had ear plugs next to the bed side, which is a clear indication that they are aware of the problem. While I appreciate the thought, I'm not interested in sleeping with something in my ears, just a quiet room. Granted I did not tell the staff, and they probably would've moved me but I didn't have time. My suggestion is to ask for a room that doesn't face the street, then again maybe all the rooms are loud.

Room Tip: get a room that does not look over the street to minimize noise
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The Andaz used to be a very high class, high quality hotel, but it seems a lot has changed in the last few years. I am both a Hyatt Gold Passport and a Hilton Honors holder and tend to stay at Hyatt Hotels or Hilton hotels exclusively.

I used to stay at the Andaz often though my last time was about 18 months ago and was impressed. They had a very flexible policy about traveling with pets and the customer service was above and beyond my expectations.

Fast forward to April, 2015 and my most recent experience was dramatically different. Upon check-in I was allocated a very small room which faced the interior of the hotel. The amount of sound (echo) from the street was amplified by a factor of 10 which prevented me from getting any decent amount of sleep.

I now understand why they provide a white noise machine and ear plugs! There was street noise, yelling drunks in the street, and I am fairly certain I heard a large scale brawl occur, including the police arriving and paramedics. So much for getting any sleep....

The customer service was decent, nothing special. Upon checkin they usually provide a complimentary beverage which was never offered. I requested some dog bowls and a bed for our dog that traveled with us and they never came. I had to call down to housekeeping more than a few times to finally get someone to acknowledge and deliver the bowls. The dog bed never came....

We ordered room service one afternoon and it was so-so quality and not worth the price.

After a few nights of getting little or no sleep I requested to be moved to a larger room, preferably on a higher floor and not facing towards the Gas Lamp due to the noise pollution that occurs at all hours. The Andaz staff moved us.... but to a room that directly to the Gas Lamp! It was the WORST!

Also, the lamp that was in the room above the picture shorted out one night and almost set the room on fire. It was literally shooting sparks. I had to turn off the power and remove the florescent bulb. Talk about a scary experience. At check out I mentioned it to the staff but they didnt seem to care. I dont even think they made a note about it!

The parking price was high for valet and if you do not want valet your parking options in the area are limited and are also very costly. That should be expected though as parking in downtown San Diego is always costly.

The bar/club on the first floor looked closed down. Not sure why, maybe they were doing renovations. They do have another bar/restaurant that is open though that was nice.

The pool area and views from the roof were very nice.

Internet speeds were terrible; 1.5Mbps download and less than 1Mbps for upload. Have not seen speeds that slow for wifi in a long while. I instead tethered with my phone which uses AT&T and I was able to get about 30Mbps and a solid signal.

Overall, the Anzdaz is a nice hotel, not 4+ stars though, and needs to freshen up.

The fact that I am a repeat customer really meant nothing even when I was staying at the hotel for 7+ days at $300+ a night.

Room Tip: request a high floor, facing away from Gas Lamp
Omaha, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I attended a business conference at the hotel as well as stayed in the rooms. Everything was wonderful. The food was great. Everyone treated you as if you were the only one staying at the hotel. Enjoyed my stay!

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I love the Andaz hotels they offer great rooms and fantastic service and have great locations not to mention the roof top views :) I have stayed at both San Diego and LA now and would recommend to anyone either hotel )

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

staff super friendly and helpful at check in and during stay.

boutique design hotel with warm, cozy and welcoming atmosphere.

great downtown location and nice rooftop.

would recommend to friends (if downtown location is preferred as opposed to harbour or beach) and would definitely go there again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Loved the Andaz! Stayed here by default for 4 nights because my conference hotel was full and so glad it was. The Andaz was just what I needed. Rooms were well-appointed and modern (love). Rooftop is perfect for hanging out and offers wonderful views of the city. Easy walk to everywhere in the Gaslamp and harbor. Wine tasting every night hit the right note and loved the little treats in the coffee area. Free daily snacks in the room help those stomach rumbles. Best of all, the people. I chatted daily with the staff and enjoyed their company in the lobby. Plus anyone staying there was friendly and even made a new Facebook friend. I never stayed at a boutique Hyatt before and now I will seek them out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel for nice views of downtown.
Green Features: Loved that I could decide to reuse towels and could indicate that I didn't want the sheets changed while I was there. Nice Job!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!