“Party Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

Save Saved
You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #75 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Party Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is NOT a place for children. Unless you want them to be hit by beer bottles while swimming in the pool.

This hotel is what it claims to be, a party hotel for 30-somethings. In its lobby is a store for guys who are looking for club clothes. Everywhere you go are ads for the rooftop pool with scantily clad women.

Rooms --- TINY. We stayed in a regular room, and its one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. It's a small room with a shower right in the middle, this may be somewhat chic, but it was lost on me as there are no shelves in the shower so everything has to sit on the floor. Lots of bending in a glass shower. Weird, if you ask me. And our shower leaked. There isn't a dresser to unpack and the closet is about 2 feet wide. Tiny, tiny, tiny.

Ambiance- We had gone out friday night so we chilled saturday. We were awoken 6 times saturday night by drunk partiers running and screaming down the halls. Look, I'm not hating, I like to cut loose, but there is something missing about the hotel. Its too "trendy,cool,chic" for its own good. It loses some of the basics, like privacy (we could hear a pin drop in next room which was a bachlorette party and wow do the girls talk about some pretty gross stuff). It loses service. We had flown cross country to stay there and had to be at del mar by 2 p.m. When we went to check in to change, we were told no rooms were going to be ready until 4p.m. We pled our case and that surely, there is a SINGLE room ready in the hotel so we could change from our 7 hours of travel so we could make it on time, and the guy checking us in looked at us like we had a horn on our head, but he did offer that we should "check out the roof top pool for some nice $15 margaritas". Ugh.

Bottom line - if you are on a bachelor party, bachelorette party, or any party for that matter, this is your place. The valet was on-point and it is located in the heart of the party district. Anything else, pass.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

748 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This was my first stay at any Andaz . Its a good hotel with all amenities and eateries close by. I was disappointed as the WI FI did not work fir first 4 days of my stay and further angered by comment made by one of the hotel front office telling me to go to Star Bucks few blocks away to access WIFI.

Although warned about noise on the weekend, I did not encounter any noise.

Room Tip: 500 series rooms facing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear aiwaw,
Thank you for your feedback. While I am glad you enjoyed our location and the amenities it has to offer, I am deeply concerned about the issues you experienced with our Wi-Fi. Please rest assured we are looking into the matter so that we may improve the services and amenities we offer our guests. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I am happy to be of further assistance.
Best,
Jeffrey
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From the moment you walk in the staff at the Andaz is there to turn your experience from ordinary to extraordinary. I think we met over 10 staff members during our two night stay at the Andaz and each one provided the same great caliber of service as the other. Consistency is something that a lot of hotels seem to lack, however the staff at the Andaz understood the value in this and created a great atmosphere for us during our weekend stay.

The hotel has sleek modern finishes and nice artwork. The Rooftop pool and lounge area were magnificent and we spent a lot of time there. The room was clean and always a perfect temperature. They provide non-alcoholic drinks and some snacks in your room too! The only downfall was that there was a very tiny window in our room so we didn't get much sunlight.

They serve wine in the lobby during the evening, and give good recommendations for bars/restaurant near by. The location is perfect if you are looking to hangout in the gaslamp area. If you want to be near the beach it's a $25 cab/uber ride each way, so be prepared.

All in all great hotel, great staff, and great trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear RachelINRuss,

We are delighted to hear you had such a great experience while staying with us! I must agree, our staff loves going above and beyond to achieve that extraordinary guest satisfaction. On your next stay, be sure to ask about our different room types as they each are unique in terms of view, décor, and lighting. One of our staff members will be happy to find the perfect match for you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel will be loud on the weekends from the rooftop club. This is not realy a family hotel. The shower is see through from the main room. Its best if going solo or if you don't mind sharing a room where there is no where to go when the other person showers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just what I wanted! Great décor, perfect drinks, nice people with smart clothes, rooftop and underground club areas, (rooftop with pool), nice DJs.

If you'd like to have a more discreet fun, you can reserve your own table as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Nice boutique hotel with a convenient rooftop lounge and a panoramic view of the city. This property is a short walk to a plethora of Gaslamp restaurants and about ten minutes to the convention center. The rooftop restaurant serves breakfast and lunch but not dinner. Many restaurant choices are a short walking distance from the lobby such as fogo de chao Brazilian Steakhouse a block away with the Broken Yolk Cafe a great breakfast place on 6th and L street. In the evening the rooftop lounge, Rooftop600, turns into a who's who of SD with a happy hour that offers select $5 premium drinks such as Grey Goose served in your private cabana. The hotel has spacious rooms with a king-sized bed and large bathroom. The in room bar is well stocked with refreshments and snacks for your convenience. BTW, they do not charge for soft drinks or bottled water, which is refreshing with no pun intended. This property is worth checking out if business or pleasure brings you to this vibrant city.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sierra Madre, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I arrived at the hotel on a Sunday night at 5pm. The hotel upgraded me to a larger king room as a Hyatt Diamond, but since the room was not ready they asked if I would like a complimentary drink at the rooftop bar. After about 10-15 minutes the front desk agent handed me the keys and told me that I was upgraded to a King Suite. He said that there was going to be a bachelor party on my floor and was concerned about the noise level.

The room was very spacious and modern. A great "rain" shower head and huge tub. The front desk even provided me with an HDMI cord so that I could connect my laptop to the the two TV's in the room to practice a presentation I would give the next day. There was no hang tag for breakfast the next morning. They said to order whatever I would like for my complimentary Diamond breakfast. The next morning I called down to order breakfast and it came within 10-15 minutes!

The room was on the 6th floor and the only noise I had coming into the room was off the streets and wasn't too bad, but I would probably avoid the hotel on the weekends. While the valet is a bit pricey they were very quick with in and out. I utilized the 4pm checkout and the drive to the airport was around 10 minutes. I would definitely stay at this hotel again during the week.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Astroph,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am glad you enjoyed the perks of being a Diamond member while at Andaz San Diego and hopefully you excelled in that presentation. Come visit us again soon!

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!