“Great place going solo or with friends” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #77 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, United States
“Great place going solo or with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel will be loud on the weekends from the rooftop club. This is not realy a family hotel. The shower is see through from the main room. Its best if going solo or if you don't mind sharing a room where there is no where to go when the other person showers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Just what I wanted! Great décor, perfect drinks, nice people with smart clothes, rooftop and underground club areas, (rooftop with pool), nice DJs.

If you'd like to have a more discreet fun, you can reserve your own table as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Nice boutique hotel with a convenient rooftop lounge and a panoramic view of the city. This property is a short walk to a plethora of Gaslamp restaurants and about ten minutes to the convention center. The rooftop restaurant serves breakfast and lunch but not dinner. Many restaurant choices are a short walking distance from the lobby such as fogo de chao Brazilian Steakhouse a block away with the Broken Yolk Cafe a great breakfast place on 6th and L street. In the evening the rooftop lounge, Rooftop600, turns into a who's who of SD with a happy hour that offers select $5 premium drinks such as Grey Goose served in your private cabana. The hotel has spacious rooms with a king-sized bed and large bathroom. The in room bar is well stocked with refreshments and snacks for your convenience. BTW, they do not charge for soft drinks or bottled water, which is refreshing with no pun intended. This property is worth checking out if business or pleasure brings you to this vibrant city.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sierra Madre, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I arrived at the hotel on a Sunday night at 5pm. The hotel upgraded me to a larger king room as a Hyatt Diamond, but since the room was not ready they asked if I would like a complimentary drink at the rooftop bar. After about 10-15 minutes the front desk agent handed me the keys and told me that I was upgraded to a King Suite. He said that there was going to be a bachelor party on my floor and was concerned about the noise level.

The room was very spacious and modern. A great "rain" shower head and huge tub. The front desk even provided me with an HDMI cord so that I could connect my laptop to the the two TV's in the room to practice a presentation I would give the next day. There was no hang tag for breakfast the next morning. They said to order whatever I would like for my complimentary Diamond breakfast. The next morning I called down to order breakfast and it came within 10-15 minutes!

The room was on the 6th floor and the only noise I had coming into the room was off the streets and wasn't too bad, but I would probably avoid the hotel on the weekends. While the valet is a bit pricey they were very quick with in and out. I utilized the 4pm checkout and the drive to the airport was around 10 minutes. I would definitely stay at this hotel again during the week.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Astroph,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am glad you enjoyed the perks of being a Diamond member while at Andaz San Diego and hopefully you excelled in that presentation. Come visit us again soon!
los angeles, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Our room was not as nice as the photo suggested; light flickered on and off the entire night; room was extremely extremely noisy from the rooftop lounge and I'm not particularly sensitive to noise. It was so bad I had a headache the next morning. Not worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone in the san diego area whether they are out there for business or pleasure. The hotel has amazing rooms, a rooftop pool and bar, and an amazing food menu that offers late night dining.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear PPATEL84,

We are ecstatic to have earned your recommendation! Please come see us again and enjoy all the amenities our hotel has to offer.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed at the Andaz July 1-8. Not overly impressed with this hotel or its staff.
Right from the start they seemed confused. You get there and no one is at the desk and there is just a laptop sitting on a counter which is strange. I'm used to people ready to help behind a front desk. Seemed like the gentleman who checked me in had never used the system before because he was confused on my length of stay, and seemed just generally confused at me being there. This happened multiple times during my stay, I had people in my party check out before me and they decided to check me out as well and cancelled my key card, this happened twice. Also received a call the next day asking me why I hadn’t checked out. I don't know why it was so confusing to them, I offered to show the printout for the third time but they said it wasn't necessary. I knew there would be problems with the bill and now we are seeing extra charges for valet parking.

Had a leaking shower which was quite severe and had to use 2 or 3 towels to soak it up after every shower, told the front and they sent a mechanic up and he solved it by giving me more towels. After someone knocked on my door again and asked if I was checking out, they sent another mechanic up and he seemed to help the shower situation.

The room I was in was nice and big with big windows, Beds comfy, Nice TV, however friends staying there were in tiny, odd shaped rooms and the windows faced some kind of alcove with no sunlight. They were not happy with the rooms.

Area is on the edge of Gaslamp. Turn left and you're at homeless shelters, turn right and you’re in the Gaslamp.

Overall not bad, but not great. Wouldn't stay there again. They definitely need to get their check-in straight. They should maybe move to a more traditional hotel setting when it comes to front desk service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Kdubb416,
Thank you for your feedback as we do take your points into serious consideration. I am sorry our check-in process made you feel confused. Not having a front desk is a different concept and feedback like yours will help us improve it. I want to sincerely apologize for the service shortcomings you experienced during your visit to our Hotel. The service you experienced with your shower and the troubles with the departure date on your reservation are not what Andaz is about, and I regret that we fell below your expectations. Please contact us directly to review your Valet Parking charges. Should you consider staying with us again, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly prior to your visit so we can personally handle the details and attempt to make amends for any discomfort you experienced.
My very best,
Jeffrey

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!