“Nice Stay but Pricey Valet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

Save Saved
You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #70 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Nice Stay but Pricey Valet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights after relocating from back east and waiting to move into my apartment. The free drinks and snacks in the room help make up for the $38/day valet charge. The onsite gym is nice, and has free water bottles, towels and earphones. Only ate on the rooftop once for lunch - the food was okay but overpriced. The hotel is pet friendly with a $100 fee. Overall, the hotel is nice, has a great location and the valet guys are really helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Though this hotel is beautiful and in a good location, it is party central. Dalia who checked me in was great and put me in a more quiet location, but it didn't help on a Saturday night--there were parties, other 'activities' and just a ton of noise. I don't know if I'd write this except that 3 other friends who have stayed there in the past said 'Oh yeah, it's totally loud there' and 2 of the 3 said they wouldn't stay again because of noise.

Room Tip: don't know because it was so loud but maybe away from the elevators/end of hallways (room 405 wh...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
AndazSD, Guest Services at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear jennmelzer,

Thank you for your review as we do take the points you brought up into strong consideration. We want our guests to have a great experience from a quiet weekend to an eventful one. Based on your experience, it sounds as though we did not succeed in showing you this and for that we want to sincerely apologize. Should you consider staying with us again, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly prior to your visit so we can personally handle the details and attempt to make amends for any discomfort you experienced.

Cherry Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed over Memorial Day. The rooms were beautiful, the rooftop deck was amazing - we went up and reach each late afternoon and relaxed. Pool and workout room were good. Breakfast there was very good also. The staff were so helpful, printing out mapquests for us. Especially Matt. Even the valet parking (you can only valet there FYI, but can take your car in and out as much as you want without penalty) staff were helpful and friendly. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We faced the main street and loved sitting in the window sill area people watching. It got a tiny b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Hotel plays on the Hyatt-Andaz reputation but delivers highway motel quality. Trashy furniture, lousy restaurant, feeling that you were visiting earth after a thermonuclear detonation just destroyed earth. I understand the minimalist concepts of Andaz, but Andaz Wall Street, Andaz 5th avenue, even the Andaz Hollywood make this joint feel lime a trashy highway truck motel. Stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt any day of the week.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Dear Jeffrey C,

Thank you for your observations. You are correct, Andaz does follow an uncomplicated concept and each property is unique to its location. We take all of our guest’s impressions into consideration when developing new ideas as we continue to look for opportunities to improve our product and service. Please feel free to reach out to us directly should you reconsider staying with us in the future as we will be looking forward to correct this negative experience.

All our best,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We chose to stay at The Andaz the night before the Rock and Roll Marathon because of it's proximity to the start and finish of the race. Big mistake on our part. The gentleman checking us in was aware of our "need for sleep" that night and put us in a room he was hoping would be somewhat quiet. He probably did not realize that there was a party going on at the rooftop pool that evening that went into the wee hours of the morning. Because of this, we were still awake at 2:00 a.m. Our 5:00 o'clock alarm sounded not too long after the party was over. Needless to say, we were exhausted. Now comes the good part. The manager, Doug, could not have been nicer and apologetic regarding our stay. Without hesitation, he refunded our second night stay and comped our parking, without our asking. He repeatedly apologized for our inconvenience and offered additional discounts for future stays. He took a sincere interest in our race results, showing he truly cares about his guests. It doesn't end here! I inadvertently left a flatiron in the room, called the next day and the director of security, Ed Sousek, offered to drop it off at my house on his way home that same day! He wouldn't take "no" for an answer.. As you can see, even though we had a rough night's sleep, we met an unbelievably caring staff who put their guests first! And yes, we will go back! The hotel is absolutely beautiful, has incredibly comfortable beds, and is right in the middle of the Gaslamp! Thank you Andaz Hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If I had not been placed 1st in the room I was placed in, my review would have been perfect as I wouldn't have discovered this point of weakness.
Great staff, lovely rooms, except if you book on hotels.com and end up in a room inside the corridor right below the fire stairs. Visitors of the roof top bar tend to spend the night there and you wouldn't be able to sleep.
Inform the concierge and your experience will become great.

Room Tip: Don't go for the rooms near and around 407
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed here for 3 days 2 nights and regretted it. Upon arrival the front desk man with the blond hair, not too tall, had a serious attitude problem. He kept talking and wasn't checking us in... we were very tired as we had been in traffic for 5 hours and wanted to get to our rooms. He kept talk and not checking us in so my husband VERY NICELY asked him to please speed up the check in process (BTW I had checked in online and received an email that my room was ready and I had the room number and everything.) After my husband asked him to speed up the process he stopped and lunged toward him and said "Whoa whoa whoa OK you need to CALM DOWN, Maybe you should go take a seat and calm yourself." My husband and I were stunned and I said to him that what he just did was very rude because my husband has been very nice to him. He then told ME to "CALM DOWN & CHILL" and then he kept murmurring under his breath and finished the process. He agressiviley handed us our keys and we were so stunned and tired we just went upstairs. I'm so upset I didn't talk to a manager at the time. Also, as we were going upstairs we noticed that the valet/bell hop had left our luggage on a dolly in the middle of the lobby and we ended up taking it to our room ourselves. The fact that I had to see that guy every time I went to through the lobby ruined my stay. The glasses in the room were dirty and our room was tiny... I asked for an upgrade but I guess the guy didn't like us enough because we weren't given one... our friends who checked in later were given an upgrade and had just simply asked. So weird an annoying. Definitely not worth it. We had friends staying at other hotels that had much better service and rooms for just as much money as we had spent at this place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Matthew,

I am sorry to hear of your experience at check in and the missed items in your guest room. This is not the level of service we pride ourselves at Andaz San Diego. We certainly take your feedback to our team to use it as a tool to improve guest experience going forward.

I would be more than happy to invite you back for a much better experience when your time allows. Please do contact me directly at your convenience off line.

With kind regard,

Jeffrey Miller

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!