“Could and should have been so good, but just wasn't.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #78 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Tahoe, United States
“Could and should have been so good, but just wasn't.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is my second stay at an Andaz hotel; I previously stayed at a Manhattan Andaz and gave it rave reviews. This hotel unfortunately wasn't anywhere near as good. Positives: Great customer service (these people really care about you -- from the front desk staff to the valet guys -- and they are very pleasant, professional and interested in making sure you're satisfied); cool room, beautiful pool and super fitness facility. Negatives: The top cover on the bed is basically a sheet, so be prepared to freeze unless you like the room warm (don't bother asking for a blanket -- it's one of those nice looking ones that doesn't keep you warm); the food (I don't know about the sushi place but the in room dining and the roof restaurant food is really overpriced and well, frankly, it just doesn't taste very good); the noise (between the night club and the rooftop restaurant, plan on not getting any sleep if you stay on the top floor).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My company booked me at this hotel for a large conference at the convention center in early August. First, it was a hike to get there when carrying your computer, purse, etc. If you need to be at the convention center, consider the walk.

The arrival to hotel was nice - they had a line for check-ins but they moved quickly, offered water and were able to walk to you with their iPads to check you in. Very convenient. When I got to my room, the first thing I did was check the view (like most people) and noticed that it overlooked a homeless shelter. Not the prettiest view in San Diego, or the Gaslamp District.

My view from the rooftop at breakfast the next morning made up for it. I loved the rooftop - it's nicely decorated, has a great view and was the perfect spot to grab breakfast, read the paper and relax. But, the service was awful. I had to request a menu, request a server to order and then request someone get me my check after I waited for close to 20 minutes. I could tell that they could see me ready to leave, but no one offered to assist me. Additionally, it was even more clear that I was a business traveler with my iPad and conference badge so I needed to be somewhere.

Bottom line:
The decor of the hotel is nice along with the complimentary drinks. The service is hot and cold - front desk staff is exceptional (as was inroom dining), rooftop restaurant service was not. Make sure you get a room that does NOT overlook the shelter. But enjoy the roof.

Room Tip: Avoid a room overlooking the homeless shelter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wiltshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Centrally located hotel with very friendly reception staff. Unlike another reviewer, we had no problems with noise as we were on the 3rd floor. One drawback was the lack of view from the bedroom window - we looked out on a shaded rooftop and a wall and could just about see the sky if you craned your head up against the window! We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on quality or service.

Mission Viejo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very hip and modern boutique hotel. Great views from rooftop pool/bar. Rooms were small, but adquete. Staff was very friendly. A little loud, but expected with club on rooftop at night. The night life is the reason that we went to Gas Lamp hotel. Great hotel and great customer service all around.

Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Tony V,
Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our team was accommodating to your needs! We hope to welcome you again next time you are in San Diego!
Kindest regards,
Rusty Middleton
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I wasn't given the correct room that I requested when I made my reservations. The servers at the rooftop brunch are slow and unprofessional. She made us feel as if we were bothering her if we had a request or just a simple question regarding the menu. I personally don't like the fact that people are allowed to smoke on the rooftop especially while I'm dining and trying to enjoy my food.

San Diego, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We blocked several rooms here for our wedding in August 2013. My in-laws switched rooms upon arrival due to the poor condition of the furniture in their original room. Our room furniture was also not in great condition, but we stayed as moving would have been just another stressor for an already stressful weekend. My mother-in-law was awoken one night by two people arguing in the hall - when she stepped out to politely ask them to calm down, one exposed himself (front and back) to her. Nearly all of our guests complained about the noise level from the rooftop bar upstairs, and its patrons could be heard from street-level as they entered and departed throughout the night (the queue is just outside the hotel entrance). That said, housekeeping did a superb job in cleaning our room, and room service was also excellent. However, we felt like the managers were unresponsive in handling the noise and bar patron issues throughout the weekend. We stayed for 3 nights and also were surprised to find that a $150 room deposit was required for the stay on top of our nightly rate. The Andaz is an unsightly blemish on the Hyatt's reputation, and it would do them good to either completely separate themselves from or at least separate the entrance and elevator from the rooftop bar. The bar itself attracts very déclassé clientele (prostitutes and their Johns appear to frequently visit). This hotel is appropriate for a nouveau-riche, redneck bachelor party, but we definitely cannot recommend this for any other event.

Dear Rocio-Mari G,
Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego! I'm disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. Please contact me directly so I can address the concerns you mentioned and experienced.

Rusty
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were greeted by the staff upon arrival and had to wait on our room but they checked out bags and we were able to hang out on the rooftop at the bar while we waited. The view was beautiful and everyone was very nice. From the front desk manager to the valet guys, everyone was very helpful and all were kind. The location was perfect, right in downtown San Diego in the Gaslamp district and we were able to walk to everything including tours and a baseball game. We rented a car but there really was no need unless you plan on going out of San Diego. Overall it was one of the best experiences we have had and one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear krys9788,
Thank you for sharing details about your stay at Andaz San Diego! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that our team helped to make your stay a true success! We are excited to welcome you back for many more visits to San Diego!
My best,
Rusty Middleton

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!