“Overall Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

Save Saved
You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #73 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Omaha
“Overall Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I traveled to San Diego on our honeymoon and stayed for 5 nights at the Andaz Hotel in San Diego. We stayed on the 4th floor in the KingXL room. Check-in was a breeze, but we were not offered a complimentary beverage as stated in other reviews (and on their website). Our room was not exactly as pictured, but we were still pleased. The hotel provides complimentary beverages and snacks and the in-room menu makes it VERY clear what is free and what is not. The hotel sent a bottle of wine, glasses, and chocolates to our room for our honeymoon, which I felt was very thoughtful. We had the breakfast package, and the food and view from the rooftop were both impressive. The hotel also offered us complimentary turndown service; our bed was always ready (with a free bottle of water and a sweet note) after a long day/night out.

The hotel is in an excellent location. It is close to the main strip of restaurants, bars, and shopping. It is also a reasonable walking distance to the trolley stop, Seaport Village, and the Navy Pier.

I travel quite a bit for work, and I can honestly say the service at this hotel is nearly unmatched. The valet crew is more than happy to hail you a cab, give you directions to anywhere in town, and explain the public transportation system. We also took several trips in the hotel SUV (gratuity-based service).

Overall, we had an amazing trip to San Diego and I would absolutely stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. If you book here, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors avoid the noise of the nightclub on the weekend. The corner XL King Room o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

766 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Yorba Linda, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked this hotel the same day we arrived. It was a last minute decision by my husband and I to get away from our teenage kids for the night! When we arrived and the valet took our car we were immediately welcomed to have a seat in the comfortable lobby while we waited to be checked in. The staff thoughtfully kept track of what order the guests arrived in and we were all helped in turn. We were swifty checked in via Ipad and offered a complimentary glass of wine. After a two hour drive that was amazing! I wish all hotels had this type of check in. Our room was the exact category we booked and was on a higher floor with a great city view. The shower is not for the shy (see pictures). Complimentary snacks were offered in a basket in the room along with complimentary drinks. Wow! We felt welcome. This hotel makes you feel special. We were greeted each time we entered and exited the lobby and thoughtfully offered assistance with any local places (we walked everywhere as this hotel is in a great central location in the gaslamp area). The valet even stopped another employee one evening to find out how late the local Starbucks was open when we asked. The only negative to our stay was the fact that at three am they began the setup for the huge Sham-Rock event held in San Diego on St. Patrick's Day. The noises were awful! Alarms, beeping of trucks backing up, the banging of stage set-up...ALL MORNING LONG....UGH! Next time we will check city events before staying. I called the front desk to complain but we weren't even offered ear plugs. In truth our rate should have been discounted or we should have been given a breakfast voucher for that kind of sleep interruption. While not a dealbreaker from returning, it was a small misstep in customer service in my eyes as we were not told about this when we checked in!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Andaz San Diego in January 2013. I don't know about you but I wanted to stay in the historic part of town and there are so many hotels that say they are in that area, but which one to choose. I can now confirm that from a location point of view this is the best. We walked outside the front door, turned the corner and we were right in the middle of the restaurant, club and shopping district. I did not see any of the other hotels that say they are in this area. It was awesome. The hotel has been beautifully done up and the rooms are a good size. We had two rooms and both were excellent. The adults room featured a shower in virtually the middle of the room. Great for couples. When we ventured downstairs the staff were very helpful in finding a restaurant and their suggestion was excellent. The only thing to watch out for is that on Friday and Saturday nights they have a night club on the roof, if that is not your scene don't get a room to high up. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay their again if we went back to San Diego.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you're looking to plan a bachelorette party, girls weekend, group event, etc..look no further than Andaz. My company had the pleasure of working with Lia to organize a bachelorette party "experience" package this past weekend and it was phenomenal. The whole staff paid attention to every detail which made a huge difference. Lia created a great package including room decorations, naughty gift-bags, rooftop lunch, mimosas in a cabana, ect... And strove to stay within my budget. It was a wonderful experience and I recommend anyone looking for a great hotel filled with fun experiences to choose Andaz.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Olympia WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Overall, it's a very nice hotel IF the fit is right for you.

This is a hotel that very much caters to the young & hip crowd. (Full disclosure: I'm 50, so that isn't really me, and never has been.) Two points may help illustrate this.

First, the hotel has not one, not two, but three nightclubs and on Fridays and Saturdays, it's swamped. There's a velvet rope with people waiting to get in, you have to show your room key to get into the lobby, ditto to get into the elevator. The noise level was, surprisingly, not a problem and I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but this property is clearly aiming to be an uber-hip hotel.

Second, the shower in the room was see-through. Completely. There was a floor to ceiling glass wall between the shower and the bedroom. Not glazed, perfectly clear glass. If you're sharing a room, it is impossible to use the shower without giving the other person a full monty shower show. If that sounds like fun to you and whomever you're sharing the room with, go for it. If that's sounds a little more exhibitionist than is your taste, this hotel's style might not be for you.

Also, in general the staff was very good, but there were no fewer than three odd issues during a three-night stay. First, the check-in process took about half an hour. Eventually they had to cancel my reservation and create a new one. Staff handled it very well. Several times they offered me water or coffee or a drink while I waited and eventually knocked some off my room rate as an apology. So A+ for staff in this case, but it did nothing to convince me that their checkin process works well.

Second, they offered that they have memory foam pillows. I have a Tempurpedic mattress and pillow at home so I said I'd like one. Didn't get one. Next day, I politely mentioned it the front desk as I left for the day. They assured me one would be in the room when I returned. It wasn't. The pillows in the room were fine, but my approach is always "don't promise something you can't deliver."

Finally, the check out process was not smooth. I had to leave early for an early morning flight. I even got my bill printed off the night before, which they assured me wasn't necessary. I also asked the valet parking and they assured me someone was there 24/7, just phone down 10 minutes beforehand. The next morning, I phone down to get my car retrieved. The phone rang 20 times and wasn't answered. I gathered up my stuff and went downstairs. The guy at the front desk apologized and explained he was the only one working. There was no one at valet. He had to wait for someone at security to come watch the front desk, then he had to go around and get my car. Good thing I had checked out before, good thing I always leave an extra few minutes early, and good thing I was the only one checking it at that time! As it was, I had to wait downstairs for 10-15 minutes rather than being able to call down and have the car waiting. It would have been much worse if there has been multiple guests leaving for an early morning flight when this poor guy was all by himself.

So mixed feelings about this visit. Very nice hotel, but not really my style which is a bit more sedate, and while I'm willing to easily forgive little things, three odd experiences in a three night stay starts feeling like a pattern rather than an exception.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I got a great deal from Priceline. The hotel is less than 3 minute walk to all the restaurants/shopping in the Gaslamp district. I can walk to the waterfront comfortably in 10 to 15 minutes. The hotel room is spacious. And Andaz offers a lot of free beverages. I also quite like the rooftop. The hotel valet parking ($35) is expensive. But I found a lot of parking less than two blocks away with lower price. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel wants to be a "W" want to be and acts like its hip but it comes off as pretentious.
CHECK IN: I'm not impressed that they use iPads ( which of course they told me at least 2 times) to check me in so long as the reception is quick and seamless, which it isn't here. You can't tell who is a greeter/host and who is not and you're not sure where to or to whom you go to check in. At least 2 other guests ended up talking to someone who wasn't a check in agent and they got very frustrated by it.
FACILITIES: The hotel itself is very worn and needs a lot of TLC. The carpets in the halls were heavily stained, ripped in spots and didn't appear to get vacuumed too often as I saw the same piece of trash on the floor 3 days in a row. The hall walls are scuffed and dinged and need a paint job.
They also use a wood laminate floor through out and several places in the buildings showed raw wood and heavy damage that had not been addressed. The wood flooring in my bath was uneven and may have had water damage in the past.
They have no parking per se but use a lot around the corner and charge $35/day which is pretty hefty compared to other hotels I've stayed at in San Diego.
NOISE: They have a disco and bar on the roof and the first floor during the weekends. Even being on the 4th floor you could sometimes hear the beat of the music in your room as well as drunk guests in the halls. Likewise, guests used a metal stairwell that is in the inner open center of the hotel and having a room that faced the inner wall you could hear the clanging of the footsteps on the metal treads as well as the language of the guests. When I mentioned this to a "host" I was informed it's a work in progress and they would look into it.
Rooms: Despite all that, the beds were comfortable, had great sheets and pillows and were nicely appointed with free drinks and snacks. The room could use more than 1 chair especially when 2 people share the room.
LOCATION: in the Gaslamp District so its convenient to restaurants and other San Diego attractions.
Would I go back? Probably not given the number of other good hotels in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the building, on the 3rd or 4th floor to avoid noise from the disc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!