“Beautiful hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #72 of 270 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Andaz San Diego in January 2013. I don't know about you but I wanted to stay in the historic part of town and there are so many hotels that say they are in that area, but which one to choose. I can now confirm that from a location point of view this is the best. We walked outside the front door, turned the corner and we were right in the middle of the restaurant, club and shopping district. I did not see any of the other hotels that say they are in this area. It was awesome. The hotel has been beautifully done up and the rooms are a good size. We had two rooms and both were excellent. The adults room featured a shower in virtually the middle of the room. Great for couples. When we ventured downstairs the staff were very helpful in finding a restaurant and their suggestion was excellent. The only thing to watch out for is that on Friday and Saturday nights they have a night club on the roof, if that is not your scene don't get a room to high up. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay their again if we went back to San Diego.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

775 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you're looking to plan a bachelorette party, girls weekend, group event, etc..look no further than Andaz. My company had the pleasure of working with Lia to organize a bachelorette party "experience" package this past weekend and it was phenomenal. The whole staff paid attention to every detail which made a huge difference. Lia created a great package including room decorations, naughty gift-bags, rooftop lunch, mimosas in a cabana, ect... And strove to stay within my budget. It was a wonderful experience and I recommend anyone looking for a great hotel filled with fun experiences to choose Andaz.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Olympia WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Overall, it's a very nice hotel IF the fit is right for you.

This is a hotel that very much caters to the young & hip crowd. (Full disclosure: I'm 50, so that isn't really me, and never has been.) Two points may help illustrate this.

First, the hotel has not one, not two, but three nightclubs and on Fridays and Saturdays, it's swamped. There's a velvet rope with people waiting to get in, you have to show your room key to get into the lobby, ditto to get into the elevator. The noise level was, surprisingly, not a problem and I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but this property is clearly aiming to be an uber-hip hotel.

Second, the shower in the room was see-through. Completely. There was a floor to ceiling glass wall between the shower and the bedroom. Not glazed, perfectly clear glass. If you're sharing a room, it is impossible to use the shower without giving the other person a full monty shower show. If that sounds like fun to you and whomever you're sharing the room with, go for it. If that's sounds a little more exhibitionist than is your taste, this hotel's style might not be for you.

Also, in general the staff was very good, but there were no fewer than three odd issues during a three-night stay. First, the check-in process took about half an hour. Eventually they had to cancel my reservation and create a new one. Staff handled it very well. Several times they offered me water or coffee or a drink while I waited and eventually knocked some off my room rate as an apology. So A+ for staff in this case, but it did nothing to convince me that their checkin process works well.

Second, they offered that they have memory foam pillows. I have a Tempurpedic mattress and pillow at home so I said I'd like one. Didn't get one. Next day, I politely mentioned it the front desk as I left for the day. They assured me one would be in the room when I returned. It wasn't. The pillows in the room were fine, but my approach is always "don't promise something you can't deliver."

Finally, the check out process was not smooth. I had to leave early for an early morning flight. I even got my bill printed off the night before, which they assured me wasn't necessary. I also asked the valet parking and they assured me someone was there 24/7, just phone down 10 minutes beforehand. The next morning, I phone down to get my car retrieved. The phone rang 20 times and wasn't answered. I gathered up my stuff and went downstairs. The guy at the front desk apologized and explained he was the only one working. There was no one at valet. He had to wait for someone at security to come watch the front desk, then he had to go around and get my car. Good thing I had checked out before, good thing I always leave an extra few minutes early, and good thing I was the only one checking it at that time! As it was, I had to wait downstairs for 10-15 minutes rather than being able to call down and have the car waiting. It would have been much worse if there has been multiple guests leaving for an early morning flight when this poor guy was all by himself.

So mixed feelings about this visit. Very nice hotel, but not really my style which is a bit more sedate, and while I'm willing to easily forgive little things, three odd experiences in a three night stay starts feeling like a pattern rather than an exception.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I got a great deal from Priceline. The hotel is less than 3 minute walk to all the restaurants/shopping in the Gaslamp district. I can walk to the waterfront comfortably in 10 to 15 minutes. The hotel room is spacious. And Andaz offers a lot of free beverages. I also quite like the rooftop. The hotel valet parking ($35) is expensive. But I found a lot of parking less than two blocks away with lower price. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel wants to be a "W" want to be and acts like its hip but it comes off as pretentious.
CHECK IN: I'm not impressed that they use iPads ( which of course they told me at least 2 times) to check me in so long as the reception is quick and seamless, which it isn't here. You can't tell who is a greeter/host and who is not and you're not sure where to or to whom you go to check in. At least 2 other guests ended up talking to someone who wasn't a check in agent and they got very frustrated by it.
FACILITIES: The hotel itself is very worn and needs a lot of TLC. The carpets in the halls were heavily stained, ripped in spots and didn't appear to get vacuumed too often as I saw the same piece of trash on the floor 3 days in a row. The hall walls are scuffed and dinged and need a paint job.
They also use a wood laminate floor through out and several places in the buildings showed raw wood and heavy damage that had not been addressed. The wood flooring in my bath was uneven and may have had water damage in the past.
They have no parking per se but use a lot around the corner and charge $35/day which is pretty hefty compared to other hotels I've stayed at in San Diego.
NOISE: They have a disco and bar on the roof and the first floor during the weekends. Even being on the 4th floor you could sometimes hear the beat of the music in your room as well as drunk guests in the halls. Likewise, guests used a metal stairwell that is in the inner open center of the hotel and having a room that faced the inner wall you could hear the clanging of the footsteps on the metal treads as well as the language of the guests. When I mentioned this to a "host" I was informed it's a work in progress and they would look into it.
Rooms: Despite all that, the beds were comfortable, had great sheets and pillows and were nicely appointed with free drinks and snacks. The room could use more than 1 chair especially when 2 people share the room.
LOCATION: in the Gaslamp District so its convenient to restaurants and other San Diego attractions.
Would I go back? Probably not given the number of other good hotels in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the building, on the 3rd or 4th floor to avoid noise from the disc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I felt compelled to add my voice to the crowd of folks who have complimented the Andaz Staff, location and service. I was upgraded to the Star Suite last night and what a wow. I highly recommend this particular suite for a great girls night out, bachelorette party, 21st birthday celebration, etc. Perfect on so many levels. And even at standard rates, a phenomenal deal.

For those with a more low key event or business meeting to plan, my company has used the Andaz and always been really well taken care from help with budgets to catering to the actual meeting room, heck even their AV guys deserve applause.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is one of the best hotel in the Hyatt band. Great customer service and location. It has Katsuya sushi in the lobby. The hotel rooms are a great as well as the top restaurants with in walking distance. It is in the gaslamp quarter.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!