“Avoid the top floor.... or the whole hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

Save Saved
You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #78 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Avoid the top floor.... or the whole hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed on the 6th floor, just below the roof deck. There was noise in the evening --bad, but not unbearable. I should have asked to move them, but I figured, how much worse can it get?

Then at 5:30 am I was awakened by a thunderstorm. Oh, wait, it wasn't a thunderstorm -- it was the staff setting up breakfast on the roof, apparently with a cash bonus for whoever could make the most noise. I'm no stranger to this kind of thing -- I live in an apt beneath the least considerate person in the world; this woman apparently wakes up and puts on her high heels before her deodorant -- but believe me this was LOUD. They are literally demolishing a building across the street from the Andaz and it made less noise.

This may seem like a small and very individual complaint, but this being a HOTEL, you'd expect them to consider the effect of setup noise on guests. This must happen every time there is an event. How could the staff miss such a major detail? (Yes I called to tell the front desk, and no, it didn't get any quieter.)

My advice: Avoid the 6th floor... or just avoid the whole hotel. It's not like there's any shortage of nice places to stay in San Diego.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me start by saying this is for the urban, metro style person, I was in a boys trip celebrating a friend's 40th.
The crowd is very sophisticated.
Great rooms, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They smile all the time and they rush to offer assistance.
Great roof pool during the day to relax and at night to party.
The hotel have 3 DJs with different music styles, if you want to party in your hotel this is the place to be. A lot of good looking upscale people.
The location is gold, in midst of what the action is in San Diego if you want to go out and hit the clubs and restaurants

Room Tip: Ask for the king size suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After an exemplary stay at the Andaz Liverpool Street, expectations were running high. An attractive Sunday evening rate finally fell below my company threshold, so I seized the opportunity. While this hotel is one step below the Andaz Liverpool, this hotel would still rank in my top 15%.

The Andaz brand has mastered the first impression. Entering the hotel is truly transformational. It’s the informal nature of associates waiting in hand with iPads. It’s a lobby design which invites people to relax and pass the time. It’s the associate bringing a cold beverage before commencing the check-in process. Finally, it’s the associate walking guests to the elevator. This is the way every hotel stay should begin, and the definition of exceptional service. If the other 22 hours of my stay were as impeccable, then this would be my number one hotel.

The room layout is an open format. The operative word is open, as the glass shower is in the middle of the room. In essence, there is no privacy on the shower. The only secluded area is the water closet. Layout aside, the shower is glass and tiled – very elegant. Robes were also available. The towels were sizeable but not particularly soft. I also noticed three long hairs on the shower base – an unappealing surprise at a top-notch hotel. The bedroom area featured a king-sized bed, desk, and flat screen TV. The furnishings were contemporary. Case in point, the wood headboard extends over the bed and exudes class. There is also a refrigerator and mini-refreshment area. The hotel offers complimentary light snacks and non-alcoholic beverages – a concierge lounge experience without having to leave the room.

Outside the room, the rooftop is the hub of the hotel’s recreation. The fitness center, pool, nightclub, and restaurant are all located on the top floor. The fitness center is open 24 hours. The equipment included three treadmills, two elliptical machines, one bicycle, and several weight-lifting pieces. The treadmills had built-in TVs.

My only in-hotel meal was breakfast on Monday morning. This was the low point of my stay. I arrived shortly after 6:30, and there was one other person there. The two associates were cleaning the bar and not particularly interested in serving breakfast. I had to call the server’s attention to place the order and pay the check. The food was lukewarm. I would have requested them to wave the charge if the breakfast was not included in my rate. Suffice to say, you get what you pay for.

The breakfast was not my only qualm. First, there were two dirty glasses outside the room when I arrived. These made me pause for a moment, and I tentatively opened the door thinking the room may have been occupied. Second, the aforementioned hairs raised concerns about attention to detail. Finally, I heard that the lively nightclub causes noise to reverberate on weekends. Fortunately, my stay was on a Sunday night. Unfortunately, the ambitious and early-rising street cleaning crew woke me up at 4am.

In summary, this hotel has the potential to be exceptional. But like many hotels, inconsistent service and lack of attention to detail often lead to their demise. The Andaz falls squarely into this category – a very good hotel that could be great.

Pros: Vibrant, inviting lobby; open room layout with contemporary furnishings

Cons: Inconsistent service, lack of attention to detail

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Came here from the frigid East coast to celebrate my birthday.. Amazing hotel nestled in the Gas Lamp District with an awesome view of Petco Park, the convention center and Coronado Bridge. Service was top notch with very friendly people. Decor was very contemporary and modern. What blew me away was the beautiful room with the open glass shower/jacuzzi style tub. The hotel on Friday and Saturday is a hot spot. The rooftop bar named the IVY was great.. Lots of good looking people to mingle with but what really blew me away was the nightclub in the basement.. Holy Crap!! Stepped into another world.. "OFF THE HOOK".. Could have danced the night away.. I would stay here again.. and I recommend you give this hotel a try.. It's worth it..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Studio City, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here on a Friday night and used all my Hyatt Gold Passport Points and it was TOTALLY worth it!! A big shout out to Ari from the front desk who really turned our vacation karma around. We were having a rough start to our vacation and she totally changed all that. We got to stay in the Andaz - Large King Room and it was AMAZING!! The access to the IVY nightclub on the roof and basement and wine bar was so much fun. The valet folks were courteous and the elevator staff was professional. Everyone was on-point, all the time, regardless of what time of day it was. We only stayed here one night but it was very memorable. Think Vegas style experience but in San Diego. Our next night we were off to La Jolla for a more quiet romantic night and later a surprise engagment! I'll never forget this amazing weekend in San Diego. Thank you Andaz San Diego staff for starting our engagemnt weekend off right!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Laura B,

Congratulations on your engagement! I am thrilled that our team at Andaz San Diego was able to contribute to creating an amazing memory. Our nightclub, wine lounge, and rooftop bar are fantastic options to enjoy San Diego’s nightlife and I am happy that you had a chance to experience them before continuing your vacation to La Jolla. I hope that we get the opportunity to invite you back to enjoy our nightclub and room accommodations for many more special occasions to come!

All my best,
Rusty Middleton
Lake Oswego, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

It was very quiet when I stayed here for two reasons: 1) it was a Sunday and a Monday night, and 2) it was quite cold by San Diego standards.

Reception was efficient and professional. The view from the roof was very nice.

I liked the bags of self-service ice. Most ice-machines I encounter are noisy and hard to use.

• Stayed February 2013
Coto de Caza, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Andaz – San Diego, March 2012
Room: 423 – (Andaz Large King Room)

The first and the last thing we both noticed, again, about the Andaz, is the friendly, professional, staff and the high-level of personal service we have enjoyed both times we have stayed at the property. I think a new word should be invented to describe the experience created by those who interact with the guests at the hotel. The staff members who represent the valet, hotel hosts, room service, housekeeping and lounge wait-staff, are always courteous and anxious, to not only assist you, but to offer suggestions for making your stay better, both while at the hotel and when visiting the surrounding area.

During this visit to the Andaz – San Diego, we stayed in Room #423, which is an “Andaz Large King Room”. It’s tastefully appointed, modern and sophisticated with plenty of beautifully decorated space. And being the neat-freak I am, I fall in spic-and-span-love with how clean every part of the guest rooms and public areas of the hotel are. It’s about as pristine a hotel as I’ve ever been in. And believe me, I look – closely!!

My one insider-tip to consider when choosing a room at the Andaz, is: if you are not traveling alone, and are in need of your privacy, the “Andaz – Large King Room”, may not be the category for you.

When selecting your room at the Andaz, San Diego, keep in mind that the “Large King Room” has the bathroom exposed through glass windows to the sleeping area. When dressing and bathing or showering, you’re going to be exposed as well! The, water closet is separate with a beautiful frosted glass door (that is open at the top), so you will have visual privacy there. The good thing about the bathtub being open to the sleeping area is that it allows you to lounge in the tub while being able to view the T.V. if you so desire. The fixtures in this very large, two-person, tub, have also been cleverly placed on the side so that you can rest comfortably against either end of the bath.

If you don’t mind the openness of the bathroom, this room category is very much worth spending some time in. If you do need a little less exposure, check out one of the other room options at the Andaz – San Diego. But, no matter which room you choose, I can’t imagine not being pleased with your stay at the Andaz.

The food is wonderful! The Ivy Nightclub was crowed, but fun! The Ivy Rooftop is a great place to enjoy the sunset and city view. If you love to try new wines, you have to try to the Ivy Wine Bar! Think “The Jettson’s” version of a Sommelier!

Room Tips:
The Andaz has one of the most popular nightclubs in San Diego. If you are concerned about noise, ask for a quiet location. I’ve stayed at the property two times and it has never been an issue for me personally.

Some of the rooms open onto an interior courtyard and others have a city view. The windows facing other windows flips my overly active “privacy switch” a bit, because interior the rooms face other guest rooms across the courtyard. Some of the city view rooms (as did our room) face apartment and condo windows across the street. One of my loves in life is a city view, so I love to keep the windows open day and night. The good thing about the rooms here are that they have both blackout-shades and a more sheer roman shade that allows you to enjoy the view and still have some privacy.

Three Things I liked:
The decor - it's modern and fun and something different from most hotels.
The use of original artwork throughout the property
The location is great! Close enough to The Gaslamp - but not too close.

Three Things I didn't like: - Sorry - can't think of any!

Room Tip: If you need privacy from your travel companions when bathing, make sure the room you get has the bat...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Deanna_Watters,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Andaz San Diego! It was a pleasure to provide you with a seamless stay. I am thrilled every experience you had exceeded your expectations and hope we get the opportunity to continue to welcome you back in the future!

All my best,
Rusty Middleton

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!