“A Great Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #79 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange, California
“A Great Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed at the Andaz San Diego on the Hyatt “Free Time” promotion in which you got one night free with two paid nights, plus breakfast each day and a 4 PM check-out. With my Hyatt Diamond status, which includes breakfast daily and a 4 PM check-out the only real benefit was getting one night free, but one I was very happy with. I also used a Suite Upgrade during this stay, and was upgraded to a Large King Suite rather than the King Suite which is the usual upgrade when using the Suite Upgrade Certificates.

The Andaz is located in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego, so numerous shops and restaurants abound. The back side of the hotel is located across the street from the Salvation Army, so there are more homeless people and vagrants in the area. Although they generally leave you alone and I had no problems, some people may feel a little unsafe or concerned about the immediate surrounding area.

The lobby of the Andaz is more like a lounge with numerous couches and sitting areas for guest to relax in. There is a small reception area, however “hosts” assist you with the check-in process using iPads and don’t use the reception area. A welcome drink of wine, coffee or water is offered at check-in, which is a nice touch.

The Large King Suite, located on the 6th floor is at the end of the hallway and only borders one other room.

As you enter the room, the mini-bar instantly greets you. There is a Keurig coffee maker, along with a tray of snacks. Unlike other Andaz properties, not all snacks are complimentary. There is a small basket on the tray, which are complimentary and included a granola bar, Toblerone candy, and some chips. The refrigerator was fully stocked, but not all non-alcoholic drinks were complimentary. Water, soda and juice were free, but Rockstar energy drinks could be had for a small fee.

To the right is the living room, with a small table/desk and four chairs. The view overlooks the Salvation Army, not the idyllic view one would like. There is a couch ~12 feet long and could easily seat six people along with a large coffee table. There is dark wood flooring throughout the room with the exception of the bedroom where there is carpeting, and the bathroom which contains stone tiles.

Although I had chosen points as my amenity, I was also provided with a welcome amenity including a cheese plate and bottle of wine. Nice!

The bathroom is extremely large and includes a glass encased shower. Water pressure in the shower is not all that great, as there is only a small hand held shower head. The bathroom sink is a glass covered table with stainless steel sink. There are ample towels with Lather bath amenities.

The bedroom features a long narrow desk situated right under the TV with a small lamp. Lighting in the bedroom is rather sparse. There is a small couch near the desk, and at the foot of the bed sits a dresser. The king bed is a platform bed, so with the combination of sharp corners on the dresser and platform, situated close to the couch, shin guards are a great idea to avoid scrapes, bruises or broken knee caps. Dangerous during the day it gets especially lethal at night in the dark.

One of the big drawbacks to the room is the lack of outlets and minimalist lighting. I can live with minimal lighting in the bedroom, but the lack of outlets in any hotel these days is inexplicable.

Breakfast is served on the rooftop restaurant/lounge/pool area. Service is great and attentive, but the menu is somewhat limited. We were allowed to order an extra entrée per day, as the banana crème brulee French toast is not to be missed. On one day, we were brought the wrong item and the manager took it off of our bill. Even though we were on a breakfast package plus my Diamond status, this gesture was a welcomed surprise.

The gym is rather small and includes three treadmills, a few recumbent bikes and a Universal gym. There are some small hand weights and Thera-bands to get in a quick work out.

Service was great throughout the stay. Often greeted or recognized by name. All employees were friendly and cheerfully willing to assist. I have read that noise has been an issue at night because of the Ivy night club, but I did not notice any noise from the club during my stay.

The main downside with the Andaz is that valet parking is $35 per night, but there are lots in the area as low as $10 per night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Came in on a Friday from Vegas, great service and clean! Went to grab a drink at the bar, the bartender Michael (or as he became known to us Big Mike lol) was fantastic, very friendly and mixed a perfect mai tai (hard to find believe it or not) and a great conversationalist. Our room was clean and quiet. Will stay again and hope to pick up where we left off with Michael.

Room Tip: First time staying there so unsure if any rooms are better or worse for noise etc, but our room was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Salinas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This place is very cool. Stayed here with a group of about 12 dudes for a bachelor party a few months back. Got the "Rock Star" suite, and a few other rooms as well, and had a very good experience. Location is great, amenities are many and the staff, particularly Sean, were very cordial and helpful. Sean - you rock dude! Pointed us in the right direction and were generally just very cool to us all weekend. This place has a rooftop pool and lounge that turns into a nightclub when the sun goes down. Very chic, but not pretentious. The suite was amazing, can't go wrong there if you're willing to cough up a little extra dough for a killer experience. Andaz is a lot of fun, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife & I spent 4 nights over the Christmas holiday. I requested an upgrade to a suite upon arrival. It was very well appointed but near the elevator. Room 533 to be specific. I know better but I was very tired from traveling all day so I just went with it. After 2 sleepless nights I spoke to the gentleman at the front desk and he arranged for our bags to be moved to a smaller and less expensive room. Room 419. They issued me a bar credit of $50.00 which is about 3 cocktails or a couple appetizers .Although the room was smaller I actually liked it better. The shower set up was the most unusual I have ever seen in that there is a large glass window that allows no privacy when showering. In my case I was with my wife so it wasn't an issue. The one thing that I did not like was that the windows are inexpensive as you can hear every car as it drives by so again I was having sleep issues. I resorted to wearing my Bose noise canceling head phones to sleep. Free breakfast at ivy was part of my package and it was very good. Our waiter "Will" was really good. I would love to stay again if in town but I would have to find a quiet room. Over all this is a really cool hotel and the staff was outstanding !!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Great place, my only complaint would be that the plumbing was sub par. The shower had low pressure and the toilet ran all night. Other that a great place to stay!! Great staff and amenities!!! The breakfast was great on the rooftop! Great location. It's where I'll stay next time!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I travel 2-3 weeks out of the month to San Diego. I stay at the Andaz every time. The staff from the moment you pull up to the curb are all wonderful. You immediately feel so welcome. The rooms are spacious and hip! Anything you need, any of the staff will go above and beyond to accommodate. My most recent stay, I checked out and headed to the airport only to find out my flight was cancelled. I called the Andaz, they not only welcomed my return, but even sent someone to pick me up and greeted me at the door with new keys upon entry. So, if you're in San Diego, I recommend you book a stay at the Andaz. It's right in Gaslamp so not that you have a reason to leave the Andaz (as it offers everything for a perfect getaway), but if you do, most of anything is within walking distance. Thanks, Lia, Parv, Sean, Todd, Jason, Mattie, James, Ali.....and the entire stay for making the Andaz my home away from home!

Room Tip: I have stayed in probably 20 different rooms and I've yet to find one I didn't like. If you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I recently spent two nights at the Andaz San Diego for a business meeting, and I found the hotel to be a fun escape from the typical business hotel.

Arrival was relatively painless with the valets promptly greeting me and taking my car (note: my meeting had negotiated a lower valet rate; the normal rate is absurd). Check-in was prompt, but I was a little irritated that the staff couldn't seem to locate a rather large demonstration kit I had shipped to the hotel in advance. After waiting in the lobby for about 15 minutes, they offered to deliver it to my room. After an hour, security called to tell me they were still looking for it (not sure how it could go missing - it was huge!).

The hallways are bright, yet a bit narrow. One great plus is there are no ice machines, but rather freezers with pre-dispensed baggies of ice - no noise in the halls! The room itself is modern and tastefully decorated, although pretty small. My room had an interior view, so I basically looked right into the room on the other side of the building; so, I had to keep the shades drawn the whole time. The queen bed was comfortable, and the flat-screen above the desk was nice considering it got a relatively expanded amount of stations compared to most hotels. The bathroom had a nice walk-in shower and glass-topped vanity. Best perk - complimentary soft drinks, juices, waters, and three snacks per day.

The rooftop is gorgeous. Our group had dinner poolside the first evening, and the view is incredible. After our dinner, we stayed for drinks on what turned out to be one of the quieter nights at the rooftop. Service was fine, and the drinks were pricey as expected. When we returned on a Thursday night to the rooftop, we were told we had to go back to the front desk for an armband - even though we were staying in the hotel. The lobby was packed and noisy, but the hotel does provide quicker service to the rooftop for hotel guests.

Net, don't expect to stay here to relax or do business - it's primarily here for the rooftop bar, which is great. While I would return, it would probably be for a different kind of trip rather than a business meeting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!