“Andaz...a touch of class and then some!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

Save Saved
You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #55 of 270 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Andaz...a touch of class and then some!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Thanks so much to the star Andaz team!! Greeted warmly before I even got inside, friendly staff opened the door, prompt check in and on the way to my fantastic room; clean, more than comfortable, and a quick trip up to the rooftop bar; amazing view, and even better was the service. Friendly, efficient, attention to detail....Andaz represents it all. Carla, Tyler, Mike, Doug, Lauren, Dan and Lindsay, among important other team members (you are ALL fabulous), made this an amazing stay; my sincere appreciation!! Can't wait to come back to San Diego soon and have another luxurious stay with the Andaz team!

665 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at The Andaz a day prior to my reservation by mistake. Although I was embarrassed by my mistake they took great care of me and rearranged my booking even finding a lower rate!

From there it only got better. A sleek sexy room with tons of amenities and a fantastic rooftop pool and bar. Upon arrival and departure I was offered a complimentary beverage along with a glass of wine each evening

The Andaz is located close to everything downtown. That being said you will not want to leave.

• Stayed April 2012
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed three nights at the Andaz after our cruise.
Was very kindly treated in the lobby and checked in a flash. We were given facts about both the hotel and San Diego.
The room was large, and had nice furniture, the shower was surrounded by glass walls and the whole thing felt modern and trendy. There were plenty of aminents, and alcoholic beverages in the minibar plus crisps and chocolate were free. Nice initiative.
Sushi restaurant next door that belonged to the hotel had the most delicious sushi we've ever eaten and the serving staff did everything and more that you would be satisfied.
Nice pool and bar, etc. on the roof. The block where the hotels lokated is very nice.
A small note, however, the bed was too soft. But it's a matter of taste.
We were more than pleased with our visit and can really recommend this hotel to anyone except perhaps those with children.

Do not bother to visit the San Diego Zoo, go to the old town instead and do not miss Fashon Valley shopp till you drop.

Room Tip: The Large king room is a good value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz for two nights and around midnight each night, we could hear the music coming from the hotel club loud and clear. When I called down to the front desk, their response was "it should stop in 45 minutes."

The music was loud enough to keep my husband and I awake until if finally stopped around 1a, but until then, even with the T.V. on, the music was constant. The front desk did send up earplugs. Very nice of them.

This hotel is a waste of money. They aren't nearly as hip as they think they are.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have the music from the hotel club pounding your wall.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Rlp0106

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that the experience was not up to your expectations. Andaz San Diego is high energy on the weekends with activities revolving around our night club and wine lounge. I regret that this was not the experience that you were looking for and would like to welcome you back to our hotel during a week day night. I am confident that you will find Andaz San Diego to be enjoyable and relaxing.

Regards,
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Andaz in San Diego in April 2012. I was greeted a check in by Vladamir who checked me in and escorted me to my room. He also made sure I was informed about the complimentary items and was comfortable with the accommodations. The rooftop bar is fabulous with great views of Downtown San Diego and the bay and ballpark, and the drinks are really good as well. I did not dine at Katsuya (off the lobby) but plan to in the near future. For a unique experience, try the Andaz.

Dear Vinoman,

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andaz San Diego! The complimentary items provided in each room are unique to Andaz San Diego and I am delighted to learn that they were pointed out to you for your enjoyment. The rooftop really is amazing and one of my favorite views in San Diego! Thank you, vinomon, for your sharing your experience at Andaz San Diego. We look forward to having you back at our hotel in the future!

All the best,
Englewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

They helped me with a reception for 70 business guests in town for a convention. Our guests were blown away by the venue and the staff was great and a pleasure to work with.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear JustTHEFactsNNJ,
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that we were able to help impress your guests with our rooftop venue! The stunning views truly create a memorable experience and leave a lasting impression. I am delighted to hear how much your group enjoyed it! I will be sure to let the staff know that their efforts did not go unnoticed and were greatly appreciated. We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Andaz San Diego in the future.
Warm regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary at the Andaz San Diego on April 7 and it did not disappoint. From the minute we stepped out of our car to the minute Mike the Host escorted us into our room and began unloading our suitcases we were treated like VIP guests. Very cool. In honor of our anniversary they sent up a complimentary bottle of wine, which was a nice, very much appreciated, touch. We reserved the "Large King" room and it was beautiful. We LOVED the deep glass-enclosed bathtub/shower combo. Very chic. Very contemporary. Not necessarily appropriate if you're travelling as a family or with someone you're not comfortable being naked with though. But as a married couple we certainly enjoyed it! The beds were very comfortable and we appreciated the nice array of complimentary sodas, water, and snacks that were en suite.

I'm giving this hotel a 4-star rating instead of a 5-star one for two reasons.

One, at $35 I think the valet parking fee is pretty expensive, especially since there are no self-parking options that I could see in the immediate vicinity. I understand it isn't uncommon to pay such a hefty fee for valet parking in the Gaslamp (at Hotel Solamar it's $40!) but still...it seems a little piggish to demand such a high fee when that's our only parking option.

Two, there's a rooftop nightclub that has a view of the San Diego skyline that wiIl knock you silly. That was beautiful. What we didn't like was the CIA-level security that began once the club opened at 8:30pm. There were tall, manly bouncers donning black suits and headsets looming in every nook and cranny. Once we returned to the hotel around 9:30pm after enjoying a nice dinner at Pannevinos, we were asked to show our room key several times during our incredibly short journey from the hotel lobby to our 5th floor room. Really? Were we staying at the Andaz or the White House? That just seemed a bit excessive. I was half expecting to get an assigned escort for the evening.

Overall, the Andaz is a trendy, chic hotel that we thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend to those wanting a weekend getaway. We followed the recommendations of fellow travellers and requested a quiet room away from the nightclub noise. That was a great decision! I highly recommend doing that! While we still like to enjoy a good club scene we don't like to "enjoy" it in the wee hours of the night.

One another thing..if you like to enjoy a more expensive, traditional Tuscan dinner I would recommend Pannevinos. But to be honest, the food was good but not for the price. We ended up having a late night snack at Brian's 24 across the street from the Andaz around 1:30am and boy was it AMAZING! A nice variety, breakfast served 24 hours a day, reasonable prices, and great service and staff. We went there the following morning for breakfast and it was positively delicious! We'd highly recommend it if you're looking for great food at a great price!

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a quiet room if you want to be shielded from the nightclub noise! And, not all ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!