“Hipster Hotel in the heart of the Gaslamp” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz San Diego

You added Andaz San Diego to your Saves list
Andaz San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #77 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Hipster Hotel in the heart of the Gaslamp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hip and modern Andaz for a "staycation" for our 6th wedding anniversary. We chose the Andaz because it is right across the street from the new American Comedy Club that we were seeing a show at. We had a standard queen room that comes stocked with snacks and mini-fridge beverages - many of the drinks and snacks were complimentary to our surprise. The room was very comfortable and nice, but I did not like the lack of privacy in the bathroom. The sink area is enclosed in clear glass and the toilet and shower were only separated by frosted glass and a door with no lock. The cool thing about the room is the surround sound speakers for the TV. You could listen to the TV from the bathroom and the sound was like a movie theatre.

The rooftop was definitely a scene with mostly young attractive couples or singles getting some sun before a night of night clubbing. This is definitely not a hotel for families or folks that want to hang around in jean shorts and tennis shoes. You will feel under dressed at night if you aren’t decked out in club attire for the nightclub that pretty much consumes the hotel at night . We were the only people wearing jeans when we returned from the Comedy club around 10PM. The lobby had turned into a "velvet rope" entrance to the night club. We had to get a special bracelet for hotel guest so we could get passed the bouncers and roam "freely" around the hotel. We enjoyed some people watching from the wine bar - the automated wine dispensers are the best invention ever!

Room Tip: Request a quiet room if you aren't going to be up all night at the club! If this is a romantic...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Anaheim Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at Andaz in early February of this year. My new girlfriend and I were looking for a place to get away from our jobs/school for a night. I wanted something a bit upscale to impress her, so I decided to go with Andaz and I was extremely pleased with my experience. The customer service was incredible, I felt like I was being treated like a celebrity the whole time. Thanks to all of the staff, but my special regards goes to Mr. Michael Barbary. Not only was I greeted upon arrival, but he made me feel expected, honored, in a sense, for me to be visiting the hotel. His service was impeccable, especially when he took my shirt and had it pressed and delivered to my room before an we were driven 1 block to the restaurant for dinner. Room was great, the area is perfect for nightlife, and all in all was a great choice. Thanks Andaz, and thank you Mr. Barbary!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The rooms were stylish, updated and well kept. There are really nice 3 bars/clubs at the hotel. The hotel is located close to the center of the Gas Lamp District. The staff was top notch. The only bad review I have of the hotel is breakfast. It was included in the price of our room but even so, the next time we stay there, we will be going out for breakfast.

ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

While walking the gas lamp district we decided to have lunch at the rooftop. The food was great and we enjoyed the view. The hotel looks like a great place to stay for or next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Edison, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed at the Andaz from February 19-22 when I visited San Diego with my friend during our California vacation. We had prebooked a double room in December and got a confirmation, only to be disappointed when they downgraded us to a single queen bed room when we arrived. They made the excuse that they were overbooked that weekend, but I thought since we booked so far ahead we should've gotten the room we wanted. In any case, the queen room was super small (it felt too cramped for 2 girls) and the bed was pretty standard.
The bathroom was designed kind of awkwardly, since I could basically watch my friend through the glass between the sink and the bed. I did have a major issue with the shower-- I don't know if they did it on purpose for a design element, but I HATED the showerhead. The placement of where to put the shower arm was so inconvenient (and I am only making a fuss because I kept getting soap in my eye since I was too short to reach the shower head and had to hold it the whole time while trying to shampoo, so annoying!!!!)
I do have to give the hotel some stars: the service was attentive especially when I asked them to get my car charger from our rental car, they knew just where to look. Also the location is excellent and super convenient, right in the heart of the gaslamp district and close to all the shops and restaurants, that deserves a star in itself. I only wish we stayed during the days when the rooftop bar was open. But, it was nice to have breakfast there and it was delicious.

I'd stay here again but would make sure I book a bigger room.

• Stayed February 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My husband and I recently visited the Andaz San Diego for a weekend staycation. The customer service at this modern boutique hotel was absolutely the best thing about it, not to say that there was really anything bad about it. From the moment you walk in the door, the staff does everything possible to make you feel like you are the only person in the room. They offer you refreshments as you are waiting for your room and make sure that you know everything the hotel has to offer. We arrived before our room was ready, so they stored our luggage and took our information so they could contact us when our room was ready. The room we requested was not available (a king bed) so they offered us a queen and, for the trouble, brought up a bottle of wine and cheese plate. The rooms are not very big, again not a big deal to us, but they are modern in their decor, beds are very comfortable and have plenty little extras (refreshments) to make up for the size.

The bad - lots of noise at night (which is why I gave it very good instead of excellent). 3 nightclubs on the property, I believe. If you are looking for a nice quiet place to get a good nights sleep, this is not it. However, I think most people that stay here are more interested in the night life.

I wouldn't suggest this as a family hotel, definitely not a place I'd bring my children. Especially with the "adult toys" available, for a fee, in your room between the jelly beans and M and M's. Think of it kind of like Las Vegas in the middle of San Diego. Overall, a great place for a couple to get away, a girls weekend or to be in the middle of all that's going on downtown.

Woodland Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I just stayed here this weekend and all I can say is AMAZING. Michael and Tom definitely know the meaning of excellent customer service. They answered all of our questions, recommended some amazing restaurants...thank you Michael. Tom made our check-in smooth. After driving for 3 hours, to arrive at the hotel and they greet you at the door with their iPads....very nice. They even offer you a glass of wine. It was my birthday weekend...and they made me feel very special. I would definitely stay here again. This is a "party" type hotel so it isn't the place to stay with your family or the place to stay if you're trying to relax. I would RECOMMEND this hotel 100%.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Andaz San Diego? Share your experiences!