“Another horror night at the Keating” 1 of 5 stars

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   432 F Street, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #131 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Orange County
“Another horror night at the Keating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

I wrote a letter to the owner of this hotel, (something I have NEVER DONE) only to find this sight afterwards and when I read it, I saw that everyone who stayed at this hotel had the same reaction as us. My girlfriend has stayed at the W and found it to have very nice accomodations. Not one thing bad about the stay. She suggested we do the same, until I, unfortunately, made the suggestion that we stay at the Keating for 2 nights because the pictures and description looked appealing from hotels.com. NEVER AGAIN >>>>>>>>
Our first night, we spent endless time trying to clean up the water from the shower (with no door) because it got all over our room and I was afraid my girlfriend would slip and hurt herself. The next morning we called for towels, and after 20 minutes, I had to go running up and down the stairs to try and find people to direct us where the towels were.
SLEEP ????????? What hotel is in the main district with a bar next door and has single paned windows???? For $300.00 a night (plus 30.00 a night for parking?) At least at the Howard Johnson, you know what to expect and don't mind retrieving your own towels for $55.00 a pop.
After we complained to the management upon leaving, all she had to say was, "WELL YOU DECIDED TO STAY HERE".
WOW Now that we know better, we decide to not repeat that mistake.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — water all over the room, bad service, noisy rooms, bad attitude, WAY too much money
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

We had to quickly reroute our whole trip, due to Hurricane Dean, and should have done more research...
We wanted to stay in the Gaslamp Quarter to be near some great restaurants, and more of a social scene. We are not, however, party animals or night owls. So unless you DO plan on staying up all night, I agree with previous guests that it is probably the NOISIEST place I've ever slept in my whole life. We were able to sleep with earplugs, which they ACTUALLY PROVIDED in the same bin as the q-tips. ummmmm...isn't that a bad sign?!
I really didn't care that it was designed by the same firm that designed the Maserati. The floors were cold and concrete, and the modern bathroom was so dysfunctional. Not to mention, NOT private!!
The desk staff was totally unprofessional, and I saw about 12 different people in 2.5 days. The ONLY saving grace was Stephen, who was adorable- a sweetheart. He made us laugh, after our lack of sleep made us crabby.
Overall, poor experience. And the Gaslamp Quarter leaves a bit to be desired. oh well.

• Liked — Stephen
  • Disliked — the NOISE
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

This Hotel is in the Gas Lamp District. Very good location. One big problem....NOISE! The noise level is unreal. The bars go until 2 or 3 in the morning. The trash trucks and delivery trucks start at 5 and 6 AM.

The hotel was built in the late 1800s and has been renovated nicely. EXCEPT THEY KEPT THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS. These windows are like the ones in your Great Grandparents house with the rope that goes to the weight inside the wall. Single pane glass and they don't close well. Sleeping in the hotel is like sleeping on the fire escape above the Gas Lamp district. We booked a long weekend and left after the first night. It also took the valet over 30 minutes to bring our car. (After he brought the wrong one the first time. Management is inexperienced.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very noisey...cannot sleep.
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

This hotel, while cutesy in its decor, is awful. It is located in the middle of San Diego's hip nightlife section and the noise level is unbearable. There are bars everywhere, with the usual shrieking and loud merriment. As the evening progresses, the drunks get drunker and the noise level louder.

Worst of all, the hotel lied to us about the noise level. When we called to book, we specifically inquired about the noise and advised that we wanted---and needed---a quiet room. The managment assured that a quiet room had been reserved and would be held for us. What a joke! Management knew the reserved room was not quiet and it should not have misrepresented that in the face of specific inquiries.

In my view, sleeping on a park bench would be quieter.

Stay away.

• Liked — Innovative room design
  • Disliked — Unrelenting noise.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I stayed for a weekend trip and chose the Keating because of its location. It is convient to everything in the gaslamp district, but there lies the trouble with this property, the noise.
The rooms were very nice, the bed comfortable and the cappuccino maker awesome. The shower was wonderful but no privacy so make sure you like your travel companions.
I had an interior room, so did not experience the street noise. I was also on the opposite end as the club. However, my room was right behind the elevator which was the noisiest thing I've ever heard. Very annoying.
The staff was extremely helpful.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

On first blush, the Keating is a very nice boutique-y hotel right in the heart of the Gaslamp District (directly across the street from a really good Indian restaurant, btw). Having stayed in some exceptional hotels around the world, I was at first impressed by the modernish, european-ish look of the hotel. But look harder, and it begins to feel like an impression of a european boutique hotel. Not sure if this makes sense, but one is left with the feeling that the hotel is trying waaaaay to hard to be different. The staff could not be more accomodating... very helpful from reservation to check in. Wonderful all aroud. Sounds great, right? What's the problem?

The problem is that the hotel is EASILY the LOUDEST hotel I have ever stayed at. The Junior suite we were in was directly above a club that seemed to go on all night long. The bed (a very comfy bed, mind you) was literally bumping along in time to the bass and drums below. (at one point, the band broke into "Shout!"... I thought I was going to pass out on the "Little bit louder now!" call and response). Also, the rooms all face the street as far as I can see, and the Gaslamp is SO LOUD at all hours. Good luck sleeping. And since the building is a historical building, they can't put sound proof windows in (I was told). I cant stress to you HOW LOUD THE NIGHT WAS.... I sound like my parents complaining that 'those whippersnappers were up all night...' but that is what it was like. Neither my wife nor I slept more than two hours, give or take. The rooms provide noise machines for your convenience, but that's like turning on the shower to cover up for the cheers from the Superbowl. Terrible, terrible, terrible...

And to add insult to injury, upon complaining to the management, the response I got was: "Well, this is the Gaslamp. It does get loud." No apologies, no nothing. For the price we paid, this was waaaay more than insulting. Ive stayed at MANY other hotels in the Gaslamp and NEVER had this problem.

So... if you're going to San Diego and have to stay in the Gaslamp, do yourself a favor. Go to the U.S. Grant or any of the other fine, yet not all tricked out hotels in the area. Trust me... the fancy shower box and plasma tv is not worth your mind-numbing lack of sleep.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Soooooo Loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

I wanted something unique for a Romantic weekend in San Diego, so I chose this over the big cookie-cutter chain hotels. If you appreciate modern design, you will love this hotel. The materials, electronics, lighting and bath fixtures are all top of the line. The shower, in particular, is a work of art. It's a large glass box that's open to the room with both a waterfall shower on the ceiling and a hand shower on the wall. Another favorite feature was the in-room cappuccino machine. And the lighting controls are the best of any hotel I have stayed in. The beds and linens are extraordinarily comfortable, and the pull-out wardrobes are both unique and easy to use.

The biggest downside to staying here is the noise. If you don't plan to stay up late on weekends, don't stay here. The hotel is located in the busiest part of the gaslamp district, and there are loads of bars and restaurants nearby. For us, a young couple staying for the weekend to visit friends, this was an asset. For older people, this would likely not be the case. I would not recommend this hotel for families.

• Liked — Design, attention to detail
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina? Share your experiences!