“Not Too Comfortable Feeling” 2 of 5 stars

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   432 F Street, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #171 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
St Thomas,ON
“Not Too Comfortable Feeling”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I think this hotel is not worth the money that they are asking. Cold feeling and nothing to interest people over 40. I think the owner is a nut case and needs to wake up. I think the rastes should be lowered and the hotel should consider fixing all rooms into Gordon Ramsey rooms!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay with us here. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here a few weeks ago and I disliked every aspect of this hotel. We booked it because he wanted something modern and different (we usually stay on Coronado), but for this hotel, modern meant cold and harsh. Cement floors, harsh lighting and loud noise from the party atmosphere outside. Everything in the room was supposed to be top of the line but left much to be desired. The 'turn down' service was two cookies put on the night stand but they did not make the bed or refresh the towels. The lights were hooked up to a remote but the remote hardly worked and left the lights on harsh or not at all. The staff was very friendly and tried to be accommodating but they need to hire more people. The number to call housekeeping sent you to the front desk, which often had a busy signal. Our car was valeted by the same person that checked us in and took up our bags. Overall, maybe ok for party-goers who are only there to sleep after a few too many at the strange bar in the basement, but besides that, I will stick to Coronado for a restful vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Faith –
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Rooms are funky. The modern feel in an 1890 hotel was kind of weird. Location was what we wanted. Old Gas Lamp is exactly what we wanted. If you think you are going there to sleep or even sleep in.....wrong! Very noisy. We were ready to leave after 2 days.
Staff was beyond excellent. They see to your every need. Would go back because of them.

• Stayed November 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write this review about your experience at The Keating Hotel. Thank you for your kind words about our staff. I will be sure to pass them along as we pride ourselves on service, and I’m glad to hear that they are providing quality care to our guests. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit!
Newport Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I just got done staying for 2 nights at the Keating in Downtown San Diego so I wanted to quickly write a review while everything was still fresh from my stay.

Location (5/5): The Keating is located in the heart of the Gaslamp District in Downtown an Diego, nearby all of the attractions you could possible want to see. Walking distance to bars, pubs, restaurants, the Westfield Mall, Petco Park, etc. And a short drive or cabride to anywhere else in San Diego. You have to keep in mind that it is DIRECTLY in the Gaslamp so on weekends you're going to hear a lot of foot traffic and other noise from outside, it's common sense. It's right across the street from the Tipsy Crow, a walk to the Strip Club Restaurant, and House of Blues.

Building (4/5): The building is very very old but has been renovated quite nicely by Pininfarina. I think they tried to do the best job they could modernizing it but some aspects still couldnt be done, but I liked it and it gave it a "classic" feel. The rooms have cement flooring which I like because you KNOW that it's clean and the bathroom is somewhat integrated in the room as a whole with the shower, sink, and toilet areas all separate along one side of the room. I enjoyed this because I could play music while getting ready and not have to worry about bringing the stereo into the bathroom.

Value (4/5): I thought the rate for my room was a good price, I think I received a special from reserving through Booking.com, but the only thing I didn't like was the $32 Valet being so expensive and the $3 Historical Fee. I really think The Keating should just incorporate those 2 fees into the total price of the room rate so guests don't feel like they're being nickel & dimed for items out of their control. Wi-Fi was free, and even though valet was expensive, they did a great job of taking care of me. Thanks Ryan!

Service (5/5!): All of the staff members will treat you incredibly well at The Keating. I felt like I was the only person staying at the hotel for the 3 days and 2 nights I was there. At one point around 7pm they just randomly bought cookies and some extra coffee packs to my room, a very pleasant surprise. Like I mentioned before, Valet treats you incredibly well. I spoke with Ryan to let him know that a friend was coming over for some drinks before we headed out on the town and I asked where he could park if he was only staying for less than an hour? Ryan was very accommodating and said he would take care of it free of charge. Also, when I went to check out they had my car waiting for my right in front of the entryway. Super impressive! Also the front desk people and concierge were all tremendous!

Overall, this was a great place to stay for me being a single make in my late 20's and I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are rooms without windows, but I really enjoyed having 5 windows in my roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review of the hotel. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed the property, amenities, and service throughout your stay with us. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff as we pride ourselves on our service, and I’m happy to hear that they are providing such quality care to our guests. Thank you again for your kind words, and we very much look forward to your next stay with us here at The Keating!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Ok, ok, ok.... i get it. There is definitely street noise throughout the night, no matter which floor you are on or room you have, BUT, it didnt bother us. Stayed here Saturday night for a get away with the wife and it was fun. For those who dont know, and from the other reviews there seems to be a lot who dont, the gas lamp district is one big PARTY. And this hotel is right in the middle of all the action. The area is filled from corner to corner and everywhere in between with bars, clubs, restaurants and hotels. I chose this area knowing its close to all the night life and wanted to be able to go out without having to drive. Being that there is so much night life and this hotel is right smack in the middle of it, and the windows are older,(the whole building is historic) the noise is expected. After a night of food and drinks, we returned to our room at about 130 am and did hear noise, but was able to sleep soundly through it. If you are looking for a little peace and quiet, just a little, this is not the place for you. But if your situation sounds like mine, then you will enjoy it. I had a standard room and it was exactly that, a room, but it had everything I needed. Including hd premium cable tv, killer speakers to play music from TV, though I wish I could connect my iPod(didnt have the cord or capability to connect)but I can't say enough about the sound system. It was great. The sinks and shower and bed are all in one open space. Great for couples but not buddies. There isn't any privacy. But shower is great with fantastic pressure. Very roomy as well. Another thing I appreciated is the coffee machine. It's a lavasa machine and is amazing. I've stayed at many premium hotels and have never seen or had an in room coffee machine as sophisticated as this. Totally cool. Even for the pickiest coffee drinker. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean.
Staff was very very nice, quick to act and ready to serve.
Look, this ain't no 4 seasons, but it was fun and great for the night.

• Stayed December 2012
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write this review of the hotel. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the service and amenities that we provide. Thank you again for your kind words, and we look forward to your next visit!
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I found a great rate for The Keating and stayed here while attending a conference. I guess the feel is supposed to be ultra hip and modern, but it was a terrible place for me to stay. Although many of the reviews mention it, the street noise is horrible and comes at all times (it was too much for even me who has lived in NYC for many years). I was staying on the Penthouse level, and the entire floor reeked of cigarette smoke at night - it filtered into my room, which was disgusting. The floors in the room are cement - no clue why the hallways are carpeted yet the rooms are not? The plugs are extremely difficult to find and get to - I had to move furniture to be able to access them for my laptop. I also did not realize that the shower and sink area would be open to the entire room (toilet area is separated), so that's important to know.

To be fair, they do leave earplugs on the bed, which were a godsend for me. The location is a short 10-minute walk to the Convention Center and Marina. The room was fairly clean (although a few mystery stains on the bed, eww). I think this hotel would be good for a younger client or for those who plan on going out late at night. However, for a business traveler it was less than ideal - had I been booked for longer than 2 nights I would have switched hotels.

Summary:
Pros: Clean room, comfortable bed, super friendly staff, free wi-fi.
Cons: Loud street noise most of the night, cigarette smoke smell throughout hallway and in room, uncomfortable feel to the room, plugs are difficult to find/access.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of growth and self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced during your stay with us at The Keating. As for the noise, our building is a historic San Diego landmark that was originally constructed in 1890 that is located in the center of the Gaslamp District, so there are restraints on what we can do to limit the noise. Thank you again for your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Terrific hotel and great place for romantic getaways. Walking distance to restaurants so if you have a glass or so of wine, no worries. Love the unique glass shower and decor. The hotel was designed by Ferrari and it has the oldest steam elevator in california.

• Stayed October 2012
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay! It is always nice to hear the positive feedback and how guests do appreciate what we at the Keating are trying to accomplish. Please contact us directly for your next visit for a complimentary upgrade as a thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Been to The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina? Share your experiences!