“Designed by Ferrari and oldest steam elevator in california” 5 of 5 stars

Orbitz.com Booking.com
The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   432 F Street, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #177 of 270 hotels in San Diego
“Designed by Ferrari and oldest steam elevator in california”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Terrific hotel and great place for romantic getaways. Walking distance to restaurants so if you have a glass or so of wine, no worries. Love the unique glass shower and decor. The hotel was designed by Ferrari and it has the oldest steam elevator in california.

• Stayed October 2012
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay! It is always nice to hear the positive feedback and how guests do appreciate what we at the Keating are trying to accomplish. Please contact us directly for your next visit for a complimentary upgrade as a thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chino Hills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I don't even know where to begin... First advise, do not let the website photos fool you. It serves no justice. Had a convention to attend & website was very inviting, looked very trendy. Thought it would be our retreat after our our daily convention. We were wrong. Booked a pre-paid 5 night/6-day reservation to take advantage of discount. Upon our arrival, there was no hotel lobby, much smaller than described. Staff was awesome though!

We were placed in what they call a "Penthouse" & as we take the smelly elevator upstairs, we enter more of a Bachelor's or Party studio for party-goers! Bed on left side, stainless sink on the right & a shower nearby your bed.. No doors separating anthing except for a toilet and it had a foul smell in there. The whole studio room smelled like mold! No carpet in the room, just cement floor that looked like it doesn't get mopped. We wore our slippers at all times in the room and even in the shower. This place had stains everywhere.

After checking-in, we request to speak to the person in charge of Hotel (Christos Brooks) & explain this Hotel is different from what we saw. Nothing wrong with the place, just not our type.. More for the really young crowd. We request to get our refund back so we can book for a different hotel. Christos says he will check with mgmt and will let us know by Sunday. We stick it out on fri nite & sat nite. It was so loud until 3am, we were miserable! Never received a call from Christos & we check out on Monday. We leave more messages for Christos to call us w/ update, no answer. I finally request to be transfered to his boss & I leave a message for Sandra Viva. I ask to be transferred to Corporate office & it is Acctg Dept that is evidently their corporate office. Suprisingly, we get a voice mail message from Christos that same evening & tells us our refund cannot be granted but they will comp us with free nights at their hotel for the nights we did not stay? Does this make sense? Already said, this isn't our kind of hotel but they are giving us free rooms to appease us...?! We left Keating on 10/8/12 & it is now 10/19/12 and we have left numerous message & Christos still hasn't called us back with details. We don't even know if he really spoke to anyone.

I understand this is a Privately Own Boutique. Although, an acknowledgement from Christos Brooks to customers would be critical whether you have an answer or not. Keating hotel needs to improve on having a phone # to corporate office for customers to call. I think this boutique is a perfect place for party-goers and I was going to recommend it all to my neices & nephews. But, due to the lack of management follow-up, that became a deal breaker. To this date, we are still waiting for Christos or mgmt to call us. It is not uncommon for hotels to refund customers when they are unhappy, but Keating management has a history (based on other reviews) of not refunding customers. Again, we don't even know who makes these decisions or if its even being discussed. All we know is we notified Christos the minute we checked in & did our best to stick it out and ended up paying for this place & another hotel because we couldn't take it anymore. Still waiting for Christos and/or Keating management to call...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Estrella – It seems that you and I have very different memories of your reservation. From the moment of check-in you referred to the hotel as the ANDAZ, located 2 blocks down the street. I was informed within moment of your arrival of the situation after you asked how to access the pool and met you in the lobby to discuss a possible solution. As mentioned, your reservation was completely pre-paid in full, as I informed you that evening, all pre-paid reservations were non-refundable, these reservations are offered at a deeply discounted rate to secure the room during high volume times, in this case a convention that had filled all of the nearby hotels; a gift certificate was offered, and declined, as you stated you could not stay here. You were expecting a “hotel”, I am still trying to understand what you meant by this. I have worked at the Keating for many years, and never once has someone questioned “I thought this was a hotel” we offer all the amenities of your standard hotel PLUS service beyond anything else in San Diego, and a space designed by Pininfarina, just as it stated on our website: we are a hotel like no other.

While I could understand that this was not your type of hotel, you did stay at the hotel for multiple nights, and then opted to move. Every reason that you gave for not wanting to be here, we offered a solution, including complimentary use of our meeting space and business concierge services for your meetings, however nothing seemed to meet expectations. I have attempted to call, and left several messages, and still seem to be in perpetual phone tag.

It saddens me to read your review, but also goes to show that this is a hotel that is not for everybody.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Let me start by saying that the staff at this hotel is very accommodating -- though young. They are welcoming and eager to help; however, even the best staff can't make up for what adds up to a very strange hotel experience.

First, the area is geared to a very young crowd -- think Spring Break on Padre Island. Lots of drinking establishments with young patrons screaming and yelling. Remember that old beer smell in the frat house? It wafts out from every bar around here.

Second, the noise level is uncomfortable. I actually found earplugs waiting on my pillow when I first entered the room -- not promising.

Third, there is a mild odor of "old house" in the entire building. Not sure if this is intentional (a cleaning product or incense?) but it made me feel like I was touring a crusty old museum.

Fourth, the room (I stayed on the 5th floor on the Penthouse level) could not be less welcoming. Concrete floors, stainless steel countertops, multiple "cool" electronic gadgets (including the lights) that I had to struggle to figure out how to work (nobody came to the room with me, which is fine -- preferred, actually -- in a "normal" room, but not here). Intriguing Lavazza coffee machine, but nobody bothered to tell me how to turn it on (luckily, Starbucks across the street). No reading lamps beside the bed. Plugs hidden low (had to move the bedside table) to plug in my phone (I like to have it nearby when traveling). Nice city view, but the windows were filthy.

On the plus side, the room was meticulously clean and I liked the high ceilings. The bed was also very comfortable and I slept quite well once I got over the noise outside.

Basically, if you're under 30 and in San Diego to party, then this is the best hotel ever. If you're not -- and you're here on business, like me -- then head to one of the dependable standbys (Marriott or Hilton) nearby and with water views instead of bar views.

Room Tip: Go for the highest floor -- as far from the bar on the first floor as possible!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greeting and Thank you for the helpful review – we value all feedback in the spirit or continued improvement. I am very happy to hear that you found the staff as accommodating as you did. As for the street noise, this is an issue we are very aware of and are taking the step to fix. I am happy to announce that all rooms will be retrofitted with city windows by early 2013. We have been previously unable to make these modifications due to historical restrictions. As for the rooms themselves, the smell that you experienced comes from the brickwork, dating to 1890 and original to the building. The design of the rooms is that which is minimal, the design actually helps to maintain the cleanliness standards we stress at the Keating. I like to think that this helps you enjoy the room yourself, rather than all the previous guests, including hair and skin cells that can not be vacuumed from carpeting. The stark appearance may be shocking at first, but warms up quickly as you make yourself at home. I am currently researching bedside lamps for all stanzas, currently these are only offered in our suites. I am would love for you to give us the opportunity to improve on the areas we can that you mentioned, our focus for this upcoming year is to bring a true balance to the business and pleasure aspects of staying at the Keating Hotel.
rancho santa fe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am a very experienced traveler and I understand the wide variety of hotel product in the marketplace. Although I typically stay in big brand hotels, I do enjoy experimenting with boutique properties. By in large, I have never had a bad experience until now!

My wife and I booked a room at The Keating Hotel in the Gas Lamp district in San Diego to celebrate my 50th birthday. We arrived at the hotel around 1pm. Our room was not ready but they said they would call around 5 when the room was ready. That was no big deal. But when we finally entered our room, we noticed a distinct mildew/ mold odor that consumed the room. The windows to the exterior were also caked in dirt. Not a "they have not been washed in a while" dirty but more like "they have not been washed in years" kind of dirty. After sitting in the room for a couple of minutes we decided to complain about the odor. Their answer was fabreeze. That did not do the trick. They offered to move us to another room but that room had the same mildew/ mould aroma as the first. So 20 minutes after checking in, we are checking out. I asked management for consideration/ refund given the circumstances and they said no. We occupied the room for 30 minutes tops and they charged us full charge for our stay. There is a bright side to this story, I was able to book a renovated view room on a high floor at the Manchester Hyatt a few blocks away for less and the room smelled fresh and clean!

Room Tip: Check the odor of your room before you check in!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It is unfortunate that we were your first bad experience, however, lets be honest. First, you and your wife did not arrive together; she arrived hours in advance of you. Second, we attempted several times to make her happy, including showing several rooms, all which had a different scent (orange cleaner, mold, body odor, cleaning products, the list went on). Upon viewing the upgraded suites available, your wife had no problems with smells, only prices. We offered discounts as low as 50% for the suites but she did not want to splurge for the extra amenities (the bathtub in particular). After several hours in the room alone, you arrived and chose to leave. No refund was granted as your wife did occupy the room making it unable to be rented for the evening. Every possible effort was made on our part, but nothing seemed to satisfy. Any ways, I am glad that you were able to have an enjoy able evening at a hotel that may have been a better fit.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here over his birthday to meet my cousins for a fun night downtown! I find it easiest to list the benefits and negatives....

Pros-
1. Location - Great! Downtown close to everything!
2. Price - Very budget friendly for a high quality room.
3. Room - We were upgraded to the top floor, very open and spacious room. No carpet, and a really comfortable bed!
4. Amenities - WOW. Very nice upgraded features.
5. Bathroom/Shower - Private toilet area, and cool rain shower head, but open!! My boyfriend enjoyed his view from the bed haha! :)
6. Customer Service - We were greeted outside, by the front desk agent, can't remember her name but she was stellar!!! The valet gentleman was nice too and carried our bags to our room! Unfortunately we did not have any cash on us and felt like real jerk-faces for stiffing him at our door. We later pulled out $20 from the bank to say Thank you and Sorry
7. The hotel does have earplugs if you feel the room is too loud, nice complimentary item.
8. A gentleman came and delivered cookies, coffee packets and a room service breakfast ordering menu at night. My boyfriend devoured the cookies and decided we had to stay there again just for those :)

Cons-
These weren't really issues for us, I'm really just giving our thoughts on the top gripes I read!

1. I guess people complain its noisy, but to be honest I live on a busy street in Las Vegas and it was comforting, sounded like home to me! The garbage truck in the morning may wake people up, but we were already awake...it was like 8.
2. A lot of people on here complained about the shower and to be truthful I would not stay in the room with a friend or family, as you are slightly visible to someone on the bed haha :) Like I said though, my boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed it as is and didn't bother me.
3. I noticed a lot of complaints about the valet parking. It's a city, expect to pay for parking, at least it's not 75 a night (NYC). We had no trouble, waited maybe 5 minutes for the car, was returned in perfect order no bumps bruises or scratches :)

Overall a GREAT STAY!!! Thanks again The Keating!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Rachel H-
Thank you so much for this great review! I’m glad to hear you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay at The Keating Hotel. Thank you for your kind words which I have shared with my entire staff. Great customer service is something we pride ourselves in. We strive to make sure our guests feel at home while they are staying with us, and it’s great to hear our efforts didn’t go unnoticed. You pretty much said it all, and well said might I add. All I can say is THANK YOU for this wonderful review! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in the San Diego area.

Christos Brooks
Director of Standards and Operations
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

just got back from San Diego, me and my girlfriend statyed here at The Keating the design is very modern which is super cool to have since its something very different from the regular hotels that we've stasyed at in the past. the staff is super friendly and they remember who you are. I want to give a personal shout out to Ariel at the Keating because she was very awesome. there is a little street noise but let be real people you're in downtown San Diego what do you expect.. I read other reviews about the keating before I book it and a lot of people were saying the street noise was so loud i think those statments were crap. all in all the stay and the service was great!! i will stay here again and although the staff asked if I was proposing ( I didn't) but it doesn't mean I wont be next time.. :) to all the staff at the Keating THANK YOU for an awesome stay

W D of Arizona

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Will D.-

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for choosing us to spend your special getaway weekend with. Ariel is amazing, and I’m glad she was extremely helpful during your stay. We look forward to getting the opportunity to welcome you back. (and hopefully for that special occasion we were anticipating!)

Christos Brooks
Director of Standards and Operations
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow. This is in a historic building with a design makeover by Pininfarina (designers of Ferrari and Maserati, to name a couple). The interior carpeting is deep red, while our room had the same tones along with brighter red and cream. The room has a modern look while being enhanced by the old world brick charm of its age.

About our particular room: We were in a suite on the top floor (PH level) with a multi view of the city towards the heart of Gaslamp quarter and out towards the ocean. There's a CA King bed, walk-in type open shower, separate toilet room, desk, sitting area, storage and a small twin-size settee. Every room features an espresso machine with Lavazza coffee (complimentary) and a mini refrigerator stocked with liquor, soda, juice and water. There's also some snacks, all for purchase.

The design from front desk to room and hallways is amazing. However, the only con here is that there the windows are old single-paned and it sounds like they are always cracked open because you can hear the activities in the district. We happen to be here Labor Day weekend so were stuck with partying after partying down below, including an all-night event at a nearby nightclub. This was the only issue we had with noise, but managed to get our sleep in the night.

Staff is friendly, for the most part, especially Brittany and another Latina gal (didn't catch her name) and the graveyard guy who became a familiar face first thing in the morning for my early-bird self.

The hotel is situated within walking distance of everything from a multitude of cuisines to gift shops. The price is more than reasonable and prepare for valet-only parking at $32 per night (not bad). There's fresh cookies daily and pastries on occasional mornings. The elevator is slow, which is perfect for me since I tend to get dizzy in most elevators but this one didn't give me that effect.

A definite recommendation if one wants to be situated at the heart of all the happenings, but would say this is more for the younger adults in the 20 to 30-somethings who like the night life.

We love the design and appreciate the historical value of the building.

Room Tip: Valet-only parking, no pool, no fitness center but in the center of everything in the Gaslamp Distri...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Keating Hotel and found our in-room amenities to your liking. I will be sure to pass on your thanks and kind words to Brentney, Cindy, and Carlos - we pride ourselves on service above all else and I am very happy that they are providing quality care to our guests. We look forward to your next stay, please contact me directly for an reservation needs you may have. Thanks again, until next time!

Been to The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina? Share your experiences!