“Wrongfully accused!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4345 Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Formerly Pacific Coast Inn) (Pacific Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #182 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Orlando, Florida
“Wrongfully accused!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband is military and our family is being moved from San Francisco to Tampa. Before we left San Francisco i called a number of hotels and made reservations because we have a dog and a small child. When i called the Rodeway Inn the first question i asked was do they accept pets, i was told yes. No one ever mentioned that they only allowed pets of a certain size to stay there. We arrived at the hotel around 2am, the man working at night clearly had no idea what he was doing i never had to sign anything just ran my credit card and gave me a key. I asked if it was a pet room because we have a dog, and he said yes it was fine. The next day my husband was out walking around with our yellow lab, when shortly after returning to the room, a man that worked there came pounding on the door like he was breaking in. My husband answer and he accused us of sneaking in the dog and that we would be charged a pet fee. If we snuck that dog in why would be be out walking her next to the office, and when we told him that we told them he proceeded to tell us that we signed off saying we wouldn't have a dog in the room. I explained that we didn't sign anything like that, he replied that he had to speak with a manager. I followed him to the office because i was so angry at this point. When we got there, there was no signed paper he had nothing. But he was still insisting that this was our problem so our options were move rooms or pay $50 to stay in that room. We didn't want to give this hotel anymore money then we had to at this point so we moved. We went on with our day and went to the beach after changing rooms, we returned to our new room. I put my son in the shower and starting to give him a bath. After covering him in soap the water just stopped. I had to use a cup to take water from the sink to rinse him in the shower. When i called the front desk they offered for us to move rooms! No we didn't want to move! The next morning we gathered our things and went to a new room to shower, before hitting the road and handing in all of our keys! I spoke with the assistant general manager and i was told they were not allowed to give discounts or anything without the general manager approval. After calling for a week, we ended up getting 20% off each night. Which i agreed to because i was just so tired of fighting for what i deserved!! I have worked in hotels for 11 years with a degree in Hospitality, and would never treat a guest the way i was treated.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Should of read the reviews before I booked. Last time I will do that.
Carpet was ripped on the floor to the bathroom area. Pillows were musty. Something bit me in the bed in the middle of the night. Regarding the people when we checked in it was an Indian guy he was very unsanitary he held my credit card and my drivers license in his hand and put it in his mouth while he was listening to us. He couldn't find our reservation. Another one of the front desk clerks heavy lady, she seemed to be enjoying her oral fixation on her ice cubes. as she pulled out the ice cubes with her fingers and stuck it in her mouth she also told me wait a minute I had to wait for her to finish her ice cubes. They had $100 deposit. Upon check out our room was clean, smelled good but they refused to give us our money back. Yes that place is close to Mission Beach. But still no matter where we had to go we had to drive there. I would not recommend this place. It was also behind a limo company.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Found this hotel and thought the price was right and the pictures looked like it was recently remodeled so we took a chance. We checked in at about 10pm and the first room 105 that we checked into had a toilet that was running and wouldn't flush due. We had to repack and move to another room 127 which smelled horrible like a really bad body odor. The first thing I noticed was that the door was open so I was concerned about entering the room. Several vagrants hanging around the property. Then when we did enter I noticed the electrical socket was pulled out of the wall about two inches. The desk was filthy and it just got worse from there. We were exhausted after our drive so we dealt with it. The room only has shutters so the light from the doorway shines in the room making it really bright in the room all night. The next morning I went down to the office to see what they had for breakfast as they advertise a breakfast. Two Jugs of rice crispies that were all over and toast are not what I consider a breakfast. I told the "Manager" Ana that we didn't need service and let her know about some of the issues and she was completely indifferent. The next morning I went to her again and asked for no service I was informed that you couldn't skip housekeeping service two days in a row. I explained that I really didn't want anyone in the room while I was not there, so send someone then, she said no one was there till 9 so basically if I didn't want someone in with my valuables, I saw the police there the night before responding to an issue on the property so that didn't make me feel any safer and now I would have to stay in my room until someone showed up. I even offered to let her come and inspect the room and she said no. We made the decision to check out a day early. I have NEVER in many years of traveling with the airlines EVER been told I had to have a maid in my room if I chose not to. The manager was really rude and unprofessional and told me she didn't have to discuss her policy with me. Some other issues,you have to make an illegal U turn to get into the property if you go to the beach as the highway off ramp is right where the hotel is. The mattress was gross and the overall attention to basic detail was non existent. One pillow case was really dirty, the mattress had blood stains on it and the overall cleanliness of the room was not acceptable. There was even a dirty drawing on the light that a maid would have to look at daily and still it's there. Sad really because it could have been a nice room if they would have kept up basic housekeeping, maintenance standards. Bottom line is....I would rather pay a bit more for a cleaner, more secure property with a staff that gave half a care. The pictures speak for themselves.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hemet, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Roadway Inn in Pacific Beach is an older motel that has been refurbished and boasts a friendly and helpful staff. Bed was very comfortable and room large and roomy with a private balcony. It is across the street from De Anza Cove Swimming Beach Park on Mission Bay and the Municipal Golf Course which is lighted for night play. The original Rubio's Fish Tacos is right across the street. Reasonable rates and good location make this a good choice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Green Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

It was very clean, comfortable. Their coffe machine and the fridge did not work. Other than these it was okay to me. It had clean and comfortable bed and towels, TV, wifi, and contenantal breakfast. I could not ask more for the price. Since we liked the place, for the next night in Oceanside, we made another reservation in another Rodeway inn. That one was even better closer to the beach and the price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
rodewaypb, Front Office Manager at Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to rate Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach. We are sorry the fridge and microwave were not working. Please know that we follow up all guests' requests immediately and we addressed promptly. We value your experience very much. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us otherwise. We hope to see you again,

Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed here with a last-minute booking for Dec 31 2013 + Jan 1 2014. Given the dates and the timing, I got a great deal, better than I would have ever expected. I wouldn't stay here on most occasions, as its not that close to the beach - but it has its advantages (located next to the highway entrances) and the price makes it all worthwhile. Staff was nice too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving us some feedback. Rodeway Inn Pacific Beach is conveniently located within walking distance from Mission Bay, 2.7 miles from Pacific Beach and we are located near 2 freeway exits connecting us with SeaWorld, Old Town, La Jolla and Mission Beach. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

On behalf of our entire team,
pomona, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

At first, i was skeptical about staying at this hotel as the pictures online dont make it look very nice or cozy but completely changed my mind when i arrived and was glad i had booked it! This is one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed at and i travel a lot. It was great for the price and in interior of the room was really nice and clean. This is such a great hotel for people who are traveling around SD or just want to go have a nice vacation. It was so close to everything i wanted to do and needed. I would definitely stay here again if and when i return to SD! (:

Room Tip: Convenient location, close to sea world and pacific beach