“Good timeshare place, not a great hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Harbour Lights

You added Wyndham Harbour Lights to your Saves list
Wyndham Harbour Lights
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   911 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Fairfield) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #56 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“Good timeshare place, not a great hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Tip: Read carefully the "no cancellation fee" policies on various booking websites. We booked this place as a contingency, and found ourselves locked in when they charged our credit card three weeks in advance! (Earliest "lock-in" I've ever seen.)

When we got there, we found a nice enough place, with pleasant staff. Room was fairly large, which was good as we needed to open up the couch into a folding bed. It was a "studio" so there was a microwave and table/chairs. We stayed four nights and the place was never serviced -- so it is really a timeshare and for sure not a five-star hotel. And after four days it started to feel pretty one-star. The valet parking is expensive ($30 per day). The location is very good, right at one end of the gaslamp district. We didn't find the timeshare sales pitch annoying, because we politely declined all their invitations to discuss, noting that we don't live in the USA and would never have use for a timeshare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear, as they are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rohnert Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was very skeptical about staying at this hotel because most reviews talk about how noisy it is, but we were in the area and I needed to use up my timeshares points so we took a chance.

We had a studio and was pleasantly surprised. It was very spacious, clean, and even had a small kitchen. The kitchen didn't have an oven but it had a full refrigerator, cook top, microwave, full utensils, and cooking supplies.

I only rated it 3 stars because I have two teenage boys and there was absolutely nothing for them to do, not only that but I think the $30/day parking fee is ridiculous. They do give you some other options for parking but I wasn't sure how safe it was.

The Melting Pot is right next door to this resort and it was our first time there. If you are eating out you definitely need to go there, it is soooooo good!

This is a nice hotel overall but it's better for couples, not for families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This resort has excellent: location, amenities and service. Our end unit was on back of resort and was fully equipped (no oven) but it was also a larger studio. It is our plan to stay at this resort every time we visit San Diego since transportation, shopping, entertainment and restaurants are outside our front door. There is a great gym, steam room and sauna in the lower level. They also offer daily complimentary treats like coffee/pastries, pizza luncheon and ice cream social. Great vacation experience!!!!!!

Room Tip: Request end unit.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel is downtown and close to everything. It is walking to distance to a lot of things and very close to the bus line. If you got a car, expect to pay over $30 a night so we opted out getting a car. The hotel was really nice. It was clean and comfortable. I was told it was noisy but I didn’t hear any noise from the other rooms. I heard a little outside noise but it wasn’t much. We had a full kitchen. The hotel also has a gym. My only complaints are the lack of amenities (pool, restaurant, etc.) and the pushy sales people in the lobby. The sales representatives were pushy and unfriendly. The other hotel staff (cleaning, front desk, host, valet, etc.) was all really nice. Had I not listen to the sales pitch, it would’ve been almost perfect. However, I got zoo tickets out of it. They said it would take 45 minutes but it took us 2 hours of me telling them no and them trying to convince me to upgrade. Our sale rep was nice, but his additional help from a manager and another sales rep really got on my nerves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Garden Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

So I just spent 4 nights here (Monday-Friday) and it was a great little hotel. I am a Wyndham vacation owner, so I've come to expect things from staying at their properties. I'm actually writing this revie while sitting at another property on vacation. =) I stayed at this resort as I just came back from overseas and am currently bouncing timeshare to timeshare to stay close to work until I move out of the area. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Great location - on Fifth Avenue within walking distance to just about everything and anything downtown. Horton Plaza is one block west, Petco Park is less than a mile away. Restaurants, bars, shopping malls, grocery stores, you name it, you'll probably find it.
Very friendly staff - check in was easy and the doormen greeted you every time you came and went.
Nicely decorated clean rooms - my room had a small kitchenette with 2 burners (no oven), a full sized refrigerator, dishwasher, bath, a dining table for two, and couch. Drawers were well stocked, they had a bottle opener for my bottle of wine. They left me a laundry basket in the closet and I had more towels than I knew what to do with them.
Laundry facilities available in the basement if you need - I didn't wash my clothes this trip so I can't say much about the machines.
They offered different things during the week, pizza sampling, cookies. They had sweet tea in the afternoon at the front desk and a popcorn machine in the lobby as well.
Free Wifi - major plus. Most places have it, but every now and then, I run into that one location that doesn't give me internet access for free.

Cons:
EXPENSIVE parking - It's $31 a day with in and out privileges. I just parked in the ACE lot to the back of the hotel if I couldn't find street parking. It was $15 for 10 hours. Street parking is free after 6pm, but you need to pay attention to what day they do street sweeping.
Loud street noise - Okay, this is downtown San Diego, a place lined with bars and night clubs. The noise is expected. I put it in the Cons section so you would know just in case you were looking for a place for peace and quiet. I could definitely hear the folks on the street hooting and hollering, but it didn't bother me. I was there for the location and atmosphere.
The view - Everyday I looked out my window, I got the view of the parking lot and Hustler store. I had a room on the back side of the hotel towards 6th Ave. I know, you really can't pick what you look at, but I'm just letting you know you will see the neon lights of the Hustler store if you are not on the 5th Ave side.

Overall, I enjoyed this hotel. Minus the washer and dryer I'm used to having in my room when I stay at their regular vacation resorts, this was very nice. If you're staying here, it's because of the location. I did not have any experience with the pushy timeshare folks as I was only home from 4pm-6am. I guess that was the plus about having to be at work all day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors so you won't have as much noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
sacramento, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently stayed here with 4 other couples (each in their own room). This was our 2nd stay at this property. We love it for the location. 5th Avenue has tons of places to visit (bars, restaurants, shops). The biggest drawback may be the parking issue. We were fortunate not to have to pay to park. One of the couples did pay each day and another parked over at Horton Plaza (the mall 1 block away) for $10 a day .... much less than the $30+ for the valet.

The rooms were nice. We happened to have a room on the odd side of the building (away from 5th Ave.). They were quiet on that side of the building. The others were on the 5th floor facing 5th Ave. but since they were up higher, the noise was much less. It is great for people watching if that is what you like. The King size bed was comfortable but I'd hate to have to spend the night on the sleeper sofa.

The kitchenette's were ok.... large refrigerator, microwave (a decent size) and cooktops. (no ovens). They also had cookware, glassware, and utensils but who is cooking much when you have so many good places to eat near by.

We also had a similar complaint as others.... the "group presentation" was anything but a group. Each couple did get their own personal rep to sell them WorldMark ownership. Avoid this unless you want to spend 90 minutes of your vacation being pushed to buy. They did compensate you for you time with AMEX gift cards ($75) but don't go to this for their "breakfast". That was a muffin or bagel and some juice and coffee.

Lastly.... enjoy this place for what it is. A timeshare which offers some comforts of home and is located in a lively area.

Room Tip: The higher the room the less noise you'll hear. The best rooms are 704, 706, 708. They have ba...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. Parking is very pricey, however, and there is no hotel shuttle whatsoever. Be prepared to take city transportation if you want to go anywhere outside of walking distance. The room was clean but roadside noise was very audible, and the kitchen area is so small it's hard to keep the counters clear. The sink is about the size of a piece of paper, and the dishes don't fit very well into the washer. Speaking of which, the dishwasher didn't clean very well so we had to hand wash a lot of items. This would all be manageable, however, if not for the extremely pushy people trying to get you to attend owner meetings. We actually tried attending the "group presentation" the morning after we arrived, and the whole experience was very awkward. Instead of a group presentation, there were a bunch of one on one meetings in the designated area. We milled around after checking in with the concierge, and after 15 minutes a guy came up to us and told us we had to check in at the front desk. My husband and I decided to just leave at this point due to the general confusion and lack of interest in sitting through a one on one sales pitch, and thought this would be the end of it. However...within half an hour of our return to the room the concierge was calling us to reschedule our meeting. I relayed our experience and said we weren't interested in rescheduling at that point, and every day after we received at least one phone call trying to get us to attend a meeting. On our second to last day, they rang at least four times that we were in the room, one time twice in a row. The last time I spoke with the concierge she asked us three times to attend a meeting before we left for the airport in the morning, despite my giving a very clear no on every previous attempt. We were on our honeymoon and there as guests of the owners, all I which I explained to the concierge. The experience was so negative, it really left a bad taste in my mouth about the hotel in general. If you like being hounded, you'll love this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013