“Elegant, modern, delicious and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tower23 Hotel

You added Tower23 Hotel to your Saves list
Tower23 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4551 Ocean Boulevard, Between Felspar St. & Garnet Ave., San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #8 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Rafael, California
“Elegant, modern, delicious and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Wonderful staff, great attention to detail, warm and friendly, excellent service. The room was spacious with a fantastic ocean view and dinner in the restaurant was really memorable. My boyfriend and I celebrated my birthday, it was our first visit, we will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at Tower 23 for 10 days, and had a great stay. The hotel is clean and modern, and in a great neighborhood. The restaurant in the hotel has fantastic food. All the staff were very helpful and made our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: Pick a room with direct access to the tower deck, and request one facing the ocean.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My friend and I were attending a seminar in the Mission Beach area and when our first VRBO cottage rental went sour we combined our financial resources and called Table23 ( which I'd wanted to stay in from the time I began researching my options but felt it was a little too pricey). Well it was worth every penny! I think it is truly the only cool place to stay in the Ocean Beach area. The room had a walkout to their terrace area with wonderful views if the Pacific Ocean at sunset and we ordered fabulous cocktails while lounging on chaises. Staff were incredible and sparkling wine was in my room on my Birthday evening...bonus! I'm thinking of excuses to come back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Love this hotel. Right on the boardwalk at Pacific Beach, modern and very hip, great rooms with super comfortable beds, ultra-friendly staff and bang in the middle of US west coast beach culture. Lots to do and lots to see. My favourite pub in San Diego....thanks, Tower 23!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean Pad room if u want the ocean view....which u do, trust me.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked a two night weekday retreat at this hotel to get away from the hustle bustle with my boyfriend and it was the perfect choice! I think it's perfect for couples and actually only saw couples for the most part. Here are the pros and cons:

PRO
-The view. I had the Sky Pad (213) and it looked straight to the ocean and amazing sunsets. I would definitely come back to this hotel just for that.
-The staff. Very prompt response to requests. We had an issue with the shower not draining the first day and while we were out for breakfast, they already fixed the problem! (Mind you, we called before we left for breakfast and didn't take particularly long or go very far to eat.)
-The beds. Probably the most restful vacation I've had (which was much needed) and also one where I wanted to stay in bed all day.
-The misc items. Newspapers in front of my door every morning; USB charging ports (how modern!); a well appointed fridge/snack bar (of course-inflated prices, but to be expected); lovely robes; the H2O toiletries; the amazing shared patio looking over the ocean

CONS
-The accessibility. I did not like that if you have a 2nd floor room you can literally go on the shared patio space from your "balcony." It's not really a balcony, just a small wall with openings to walk through. I know it's meant to be a benefit to the 2nd floor dwellers but I believe the patio is open to the people from the restaurant/bar downstairs and that made me uncomfortable leaving the sliding door open at night (listening to waves while I go to sleep is my favorite!). It didn't bother me too much though bc you do have privacy curtains outside around the little balcony and also I just left the door closed. But next time, I'll book a 3rd floor room!

-The lack of bathroom privacy. The sliding door to our bathroom had major gaps and if you're not here with someone you know very very well (read: sounds/smells! lol!), then I recommend booking a separate room or having a contracted bathroom schedule. Be warned!

-That buzzing sound...what is that? There was a loud buzzing sound which may be A/C related, I'm not sure, but it drove me nuts! It didn't happen all the time though, I just noticed it one morning and closed the sliding door.

-The misc. No coffee maker - might be strange but I just want to make coffee and not have to order one or go out to get one. They should add a small Keurig to their rooms -- is that too much? Ha!

ETC
-Parking $20/hr but at other places I looked at, it was more around $35/day so I didn't mind.
-Note that this review certainly does NOT take into account the restaurant attached (JRDN). Ugh. I'll get to that another day.
-The location is great; there are a lot of places to eat nearby and I feel like any other places we needed to drive to was only 15 minutes away.

Room Tip: Pick the highest floor (3?) - more privacy and probably less noise.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights and loved the location. There is a great lounging area where you can overlook the ocean, while sitting there we actually saw dolphins swim by. If you are looking for a pool or hot tub it is not here but the service was amazing and the bed is super comfy. We bought a vacation package through Expedia and saved on the rate. It is more pricey and there are lots of options on PB beach. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent two nights here during a journey down the Pacific Coast Highway. We had considered a number of hotels in downtown San Diego but settled on Tower23 as the location looked good and prices were reasonable compared with downtown options. We weren't disappointed.

Although this hotel is few miles out of town, we found the location perfect. You're right on the beach, and there are lots of restaurants, bars and shops within just a few minutes' walk. We hired bikes to explore up and down the beachfront.

When we went into town, we took a cab (about $40). We hopped on the bus back and found it was quick, if you check the timetable so you don't have to hang around to catch one. You can also drive, which is what I imagine most people do.

We stayed in a Sky Pad which had a partial ocean view from the balcony. The room was clean, tidy and nicely decorated, if a little plain. It could've done with a few more pictures on the walls or the odd extra design flourish, like those evident in the hotel's communal areas.

Having said that, it was a good size, and it was great to have a balcony, from which we enjoyed drinks and breakfast.

Service was friendly and efficient. On check in we were offered a welcome cocktail (a nice touch). I think overnight parking is $20 a night, but we parked for free in a space right out front the hotel. It might be harder to find a spot in peak season, but I imagine you'd find one in the surrounding streets easily enough.

The bar and restaurant really made this hotel for us. An imaginative cocktail menu and superb food (including some excellent sliders) meant we spent more time in the hotel bar than we'd expected. There's also a happy hour which offers better value for money.

Overall, an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: We were in 201 which had partial ocean views from the balcony. You may need to pay more for a room o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tower23 Hotel? Share your experiences!