“The perfect oceanside getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tower23 Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tower23 Hotel to your Saves list
Tower23 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4551 Ocean Boulevard, Between Felspar St. & Garnet Ave., San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Tower23 Visor
Ranked #10 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Pasadena, California
“The perfect oceanside getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked a two night weekday retreat at this hotel to get away from the hustle bustle with my boyfriend and it was the perfect choice! I think it's perfect for couples and actually only saw couples for the most part. Here are the pros and cons:

PRO
-The view. I had the Sky Pad (213) and it looked straight to the ocean and amazing sunsets. I would definitely come back to this hotel just for that.
-The staff. Very prompt response to requests. We had an issue with the shower not draining the first day and while we were out for breakfast, they already fixed the problem! (Mind you, we called before we left for breakfast and didn't take particularly long or go very far to eat.)
-The beds. Probably the most restful vacation I've had (which was much needed) and also one where I wanted to stay in bed all day.
-The misc items. Newspapers in front of my door every morning; USB charging ports (how modern!); a well appointed fridge/snack bar (of course-inflated prices, but to be expected); lovely robes; the H2O toiletries; the amazing shared patio looking over the ocean

CONS
-The accessibility. I did not like that if you have a 2nd floor room you can literally go on the shared patio space from your "balcony." It's not really a balcony, just a small wall with openings to walk through. I know it's meant to be a benefit to the 2nd floor dwellers but I believe the patio is open to the people from the restaurant/bar downstairs and that made me uncomfortable leaving the sliding door open at night (listening to waves while I go to sleep is my favorite!). It didn't bother me too much though bc you do have privacy curtains outside around the little balcony and also I just left the door closed. But next time, I'll book a 3rd floor room!

-The lack of bathroom privacy. The sliding door to our bathroom had major gaps and if you're not here with someone you know very very well (read: sounds/smells! lol!), then I recommend booking a separate room or having a contracted bathroom schedule. Be warned!

-That buzzing sound...what is that? There was a loud buzzing sound which may be A/C related, I'm not sure, but it drove me nuts! It didn't happen all the time though, I just noticed it one morning and closed the sliding door.

-The misc. No coffee maker - might be strange but I just want to make coffee and not have to order one or go out to get one. They should add a small Keurig to their rooms -- is that too much? Ha!

ETC
-Parking $20/hr but at other places I looked at, it was more around $35/day so I didn't mind.
-Note that this review certainly does NOT take into account the restaurant attached (JRDN). Ugh. I'll get to that another day.
-The location is great; there are a lot of places to eat nearby and I feel like any other places we needed to drive to was only 15 minutes away.

Room Tip: Pick the highest floor (3?) - more privacy and probably less noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights and loved the location. There is a great lounging area where you can overlook the ocean, while sitting there we actually saw dolphins swim by. If you are looking for a pool or hot tub it is not here but the service was amazing and the bed is super comfy. We bought a vacation package through Expedia and saved on the rate. It is more pricey and there are lots of options on PB beach. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent two nights here during a journey down the Pacific Coast Highway. We had considered a number of hotels in downtown San Diego but settled on Tower23 as the location looked good and prices were reasonable compared with downtown options. We weren't disappointed.

Although this hotel is few miles out of town, we found the location perfect. You're right on the beach, and there are lots of restaurants, bars and shops within just a few minutes' walk. We hired bikes to explore up and down the beachfront.

When we went into town, we took a cab (about $40). We hopped on the bus back and found it was quick, if you check the timetable so you don't have to hang around to catch one. You can also drive, which is what I imagine most people do.

We stayed in a Sky Pad which had a partial ocean view from the balcony. The room was clean, tidy and nicely decorated, if a little plain. It could've done with a few more pictures on the walls or the odd extra design flourish, like those evident in the hotel's communal areas.

Having said that, it was a good size, and it was great to have a balcony, from which we enjoyed drinks and breakfast.

Service was friendly and efficient. On check in we were offered a welcome cocktail (a nice touch). I think overnight parking is $20 a night, but we parked for free in a space right out front the hotel. It might be harder to find a spot in peak season, but I imagine you'd find one in the surrounding streets easily enough.

The bar and restaurant really made this hotel for us. An imaginative cocktail menu and superb food (including some excellent sliders) meant we spent more time in the hotel bar than we'd expected. There's also a happy hour which offers better value for money.

Overall, an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: We were in 201 which had partial ocean views from the balcony. You may need to pay more for a room o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My best friend and I went to San Diego for a Dwell contemporary home tour. What better place to stay then a hip, beachfront hotel with a contemporary design aesthetic? We were in a "spirit pad" room, not ocean front, but right off the large ocean front patio with fire pit and amazing view. It was very quiet with comfy beds and lots of down pillows. We had room service breakfast and while expensive, it was very filling and tasty - we ate outside in our own little patio enjoying a sunny fall day. Only issues were the the barely existent water pressure and lack of TV channels. Even so, I will stay here again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Agua Dulce, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ultra modern, and right on the beach, amazing views! Recommend more for a romantic getaway than with the family, but still close enough to everything...the deck with firepit was great for an evening with a glass of wine...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kent. Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great small hotel, felt very similar to a mini W hotel, we had surf pad rooms which has a fantastic view over the terrace of the sea and pier.
The sun goes down right in front of the hotel, great to sit and watch the sun go down with a glass of wine, and in October when we went being a bit chilly in the evening they provide fleece blankets and a fire pit is alight.
The Resturant food was fantastic with great steaks.
A modern hotel, but very comfortable.
Next door is bike hire
This hotel does not have a pool, but the beach is steps away.

Room Tip: Surf pads have great view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband I stayed in an ocean front room and loved seeing and hearing the ocean. Great location for walking around, people watching, having drinks etc. The hotel found out we were celebrating an Anniversary and sent up a bottle of champage! Nice touch. One night we decided to relax up on the outdoor area in front of the fire and have some drinks and food. Very nice setting over looking the ocean. The food was really nice. Our server, Phillip, was really great! He was very attentive and provided exceptional service - even gave us some interesting local info! Very enjoyable night! Thanks Phillip!
We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Tower23 Hotel? Share your experiences!